What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

More half hearted 'progress' from latest RLIF meeting

latingringo101

Juniors
RLIF Board to appoint three independent directors by October Congress

Singapore – Sunday June 9th, 2019

The board of the Rugby League International Federation (RLIF) has agreed the process for the appointment of three independent directors. Following the review of its governance structure which concluded earlier this year, the board will commence the search and is aiming to make the appointments in time for the next congress of the membership which will take place in Sydney from October 15th to 19th.

The board, which met over two days in Singapore, received up-dates on two key properties of the RLIF, World Cup 9s and World Cup 2021.

Andrew Abdo on behalf of hosts, Australia, reported growing anticipation of the inaugural competition to be held at the Bankwest Stadium, Parramatta, on Friday, October 18 and Saturday, October 19. Twelve men’s teams and four women’s teams will compete for the RLIF World Cup 9s Trophies.

Jon Dutton, CEO of RLWC2021, provided the board with significant progress being made by the world cup team and heard that the tournament is on target to achieve its five strategic goals which cover attendance, finance, legacy, profile and digital connection.

Speaking about the progress being made by both world cups RLIF Chair Graeme Thompson said:

“The board was greatly encouraged by the progress of RLIF World Cup 9s, which is set to be an exciting new addition to the international schedule.

“With over two years still to go to RLWC2021 the planning is meticulous, and the excitement is building as we watch the final stages of qualification later this year.”

The board also approved the formal calendar for regional tournaments for the period 2020 to 2030. The tournaments will take place every two years in the even years and will cover the Americas, Europe, Middle East Africa and Oceania. The RLIF World Cup 9s will be held in 2023. The proposed Continental Cup is still in planning and the board will reach a final conclusion in 2020.

In addition to the official tournaments, members will continue to arrange their own bi-lateral fixtures such as the GB Rugby League Lions tour of Oceania in 2019 and 2024 and the Kangaroos tour to the UK in 2020.

The qualification process for RLWC2025 will begin earlier than ever before, scheduled to start in 2021. It was agreed that nations must have achieved at least affiliate member status by March 2021 in order to be eligible to enter qualification for the 2025 finals. The qualification process will be designed to cater for a record number of entries, currently estimated to be over 40 countries.

The board also considered the arrangements for RLWC2025 finals venue and agreed that further market research needs to take place to ensure that the hosting and the running of the competition will create the best possible outcome for the sport.

On a wide-ranging agenda, the board approved a new digital strategy that will enhance the federation’s presence online and will assist it in its mission to grow and support the membership.

They approved and signed off a range of policies, including a new membership policy that will help the members to be more robust in their own organisations.

Graeme Thompson summed up the meeting saying:

“Once again, we have made considerable progress during this meeting and I thank the board, the staff and the membership for their support.

“We have evolved our infrastructure and policies which strengthen the organisation in respect of the key global leadership role it provides to the sport. The committees cover the important aspects of the sport such as medical, match officials, laws of the game and a football committee. Critically they will allow us to engage with a wider range of personnel from our members, other key stakeholders and specific external expertise.”

http://www.rlif.com/article/8642/

TheFrog

Coach
“We have evolved our infrastructure and policies which strengthen the organisation in respect of the key global leadership role it provides to the sport. The committees cover the important aspects of the sport such as medical, match officials, laws of the game and a football committee. Critically they will allow us to engage with a wider range of personnel from our members, other key stakeholders and specific external expertise.”
Sounds like something Ivan Cleary would say.

ULYSSES

Juniors
I just love committees. They are generally made up of individuals that do nothing and collectively decide nothing can be done.(author unknown).

adamkungl

Immortal
Actually useful info from there:

Regionals will be held every second year from 2020
The mythical Continenal Cup is still on the menu from 2023
9s will be held every 4 years too, with the next one in 2023
Another GB tour planned for 2024
Qualifying for 2025 to begin in 2021 with clear guidelines for eligibility

adamkungl

Immortal
2019 - Oceania Cup, MEA Cup, WC9s, GBLions Tour, WC2021 Qualifiers
2020 - Oceania Cup, European Cup, MEA Cup, Americas Cup, Kangaroo Tour
2021 - RLWC2021

2022 - Oceania Cup, European Cup, MEA Cup, Americas Cup
2023 - Continental Cup, WC9s
2024 - Oceania Cup, European Cup, MEA Cup, Americas Cup, GBLions Tour
2025 - RLWC2025

This is undoubtedly an improvement, but there are some obvious gaps and details missing:

The Oceania Cup needs to expand in scope to bring in some currently excluded nations, most notably Cook Islands.

There's no Asian Cup - the Oceania Cup only includes the Pacific side of the Asia-Pacific Federation.

Will there be an ongoing 9s circuit in between World Cups? A World Cup of a game no one plays is pretty limited.

2019 - Still no word of what the qualified northern hemisphere WC nations are doing post-season. Wales Jamaica France Lebanon.. England Knights?

2020 - Will NZ have something aside from the couple of Oceania Cup games and a presumed game vs Australia?

2022 - Kiwi tour, Kangaroo tour? A combined tour?

2023 - The forever rumoured Continental Cup... who will feature, how will it work?

2025 - The big question, where will it be held. USA, Canada, France, New Zealand... or back to Australia?

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
I think the mere presence of a world cup 9's will spawn more 9's tournaments which will probably form over time into an official circuit. At the moment we have tournaments like the London 9's, America's 9's and Cabramatta 9's just to name a few. Sure, these are amatuer tournaments that are played by amatuer clubs teams but there is no reason why if the opportunity presents, they couldn't invite international teams looking to get some regular 9's squad regularly playing.

Taking the game of 9's seriously is going to be done by the minnows first because it will be their opportunity to develop home-grown players and may be easier for them initially to get to a world cup. The big three will probably be the last to take it seriously as a separate version of the game to 13's.

adamkungl

Immortal
For an 8 year calendar, I'm now hoping to see:

2021 World Cup England
2022 Regionals. Kiwi Tour.
2023 Continental Cup. RLWC Qualifying Finals. WC9s.
2024 Regionals. GB Tour. RLWC Qualifying Repechage

2025 World Cup North America
2026 Regionals. Kangaroo Tour.
2027 Continental Cup. RLWC Qualifying Finals. WC9s.
2028 Regionals. GB Tour. RLWC Qualifying Repechage

Where tours overlap with tournaments, I'd like to see the big 3 commit to entering an 'A' team consistently rather than just bailing on it like Australia is doing with the Oceania Cup next year.
They should be able to afford it in terms of both depth and finances, and it would be a big boost to the viability and consistency of these tournaments going forward.

I've been iffy about this in the past but I think its the only way forward that fits everything in the calendar. GB already has this almost in place with its sub-nations and England Knights.
Sure we could see a case where Australia A or England Knights still manage to beat everyone elses best, but f**k it, it gives the others a target to aim for rather than not playing at all.

adamkungl

Immortal
Side note (i have a lot of thoughts today)

I'm still pissed that the Kangaroos wont even give GB a single game this year. That is some level of f**ked up self-sabotage.

siv

First Grade
The few Asian matches occurring should form the Asia Cup

Even its only a simple winner of HK v Japan v Phillipines v Thailand

adamkungl

Immortal
https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/06/19...future-tests-in-new-10-year-rolling-calendar/

Now these dopes are talking about the Oceania Cup being played every non-WC year rather than bi-annually like every other region. Token mention to the other nations in the region with no word of how they'll actually be included.

Wood
“As far as the Oceania Cup is concerned that should be three years out of four but the international federation has a responsibility of some sort with about 60 nations so it is also about Vanuatu and Niue, and all those nations who play in the Emerging Nations World Cup.”

If the OC is played every year you can forget about the supposed Continental Cup I guess

Burns

First Grade
Boo I made a a new thread in this Mates

Pretty much forgot France ever being anything at this rate

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
^^^^^^^

I think i have missed something. How does the Oceanic Cup effect France/the Continental Cup?

3/4 years of the Oceanic cup seems like overkill (every second year; before and after the WC seems better) but it should be great for Pacific RL and maybe even South American RL if they can get a competitive team.

Meanwhile a European, or even Transatlantic Cup could be happening in the same years.

This is definitely one bit of forum pessimism that i do not understand.

adamkungl

Immortal
^^^^^^^

I think i have missed something. How does the Oceanic Cup effect France/the Continental Cup?

3/4 years of the Oceanic cup seems like overkill (every second year; before and after the WC seems better) but it should be great for Pacific RL and maybe even South American RL if they can get a competitive team.

Meanwhile a European, or even Transatlantic Cup could be happening in the same years.

This is definitely one bit of forum pessimism that i do not understand.

If the Oceania Cup, featuring Aus, NZ, and the other top Pacific Nations, is held in 2023,
how will another comp which is supposed to feature the top 8 nations from both sides of the world be held in the same year?

3 years is overkill, as you say. It blocks up the calendar too much, makes it very difficult for Aus and NZ to play England and France.