What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 Crowd Watch

TheFrog

Coach
8k on a Sunday for the reigning premiers against a nearby side. How are the Roosters not in relocation discussions? If Manly were the reigning premiers at least they'd get over 10k for that fixture.
The sort of crowd the Swans would get when they were at rock bottom in the mid 90s.

Easts would do better taking games to the bush.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
The sort of crowd the Swans would get when they were at rock bottom in the mid 90s.

Easts would do better taking games to the bush.
They're taking their next home game to Adelaide, and the one after that to Gosford.

Clubs can only take so many games away from their home ground.

T-Boon

Coach
They're taking their next home game to Adelaide, and the one after that to Gosford.

Clubs can only take so many games away from their home ground.

They should take a lot more games away from the SCG because playing their really rubs in how much better the Swans are going getting people to turn up. The swans are crap this year the Roosters have a great side. Just play the ANZAC day game there and then go on the road.

Alternatively use the seating areas for more advertisement. Just seat the ticketed members somewhere and put layers of ads in the grandstands. Currently there are 4 layers of advertisement between the seats and the playing field.

Timbo

Staff member
It's obviously too late now, but geez I wish there had been a push to build a temporary ground somewhere in the Eastern Suburbs (it's not as far fetched as it sounds - they did it in Vancouver when they were rebuilding the football stadium there for two years, for a very afforfable amount of money https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Empire_Field). The main problem is it'd have to be built on green space, and even if it was guaranteed to be for just two years there's no way the NIBY's would've let it happen.

I think people knew the SCG wasnt' going to be great, but I doubt few really saw how bad it was going to be.

DIOGENES

Juniors
Last time I was there was back in 1987 watching the Roosters play the Sharks, Parked the car on Park Rd which is a couple of streets away only come back to find it missing some prick stole the car...

The official attendance was 7,000, nearly the same as yesterday - they must have estimated that there were 6 people in each car

Cockosh

Juniors
No doubt a disappointing crowd yesterday but not that surprising. I go to every home game and most away games in Sydney but at 1 pm yesterday even I considered watching at home.
It was bucketing down till just after lunch with more rain forecast in the afternoon.
Playing at the scg.
Playing the dogs who are coming last and would be shocked if there was even a 1000 of them at the game.
We’ve lost 3 on the trot
Missing 4 of our key players
And to top it off I ended up paying nearly $20 for 2 Carlton draughts in plastic cups.
Premiers or not there was not real incentive to go.
For all those carrying on about easts crowds we are far from the worst of the Sydney teams. There have been 6 other games in Sydney with smaller crowds this year.

j5o6hn

Juniors
Would you have went to the SCG yesterday to watch a game of footy?
No I would not to be honest the Eastern Suburbs team was never able to attract a crowd they should be moved to Adelaide & made to use South Australia as there recruiting ground the NRL could give them 5 yrs of the old way but after that they have to stand up or go broke

Cockosh

Juniors
They should take a lot more games away from the SCG because playing their really rubs in how much better the Swans are going getting people to turn up. The swans are crap this year the Roosters have a great side. Just play the ANZAC day game there and then go on the road.

Alternatively use the seating areas for more advertisement. Just seat the ticketed members somewhere and put layers of ads in the grandstands. Currently there are 4 layers of advertisement between the seats and the playing field.
The swans compete with every Sydney club not just the roosters. Easts are one of 9 Sydney teams. The swans until recently were the only afl club. You keep raising this same ridiculous point.

Valheru

Coach
It's obviously too late now, but geez I wish there had been a push to build a temporary ground somewhere in the Eastern Suburbs (it's not as far fetched as it sounds - they did it in Vancouver when they were rebuilding the football stadium there for two years, for a very afforfable amount of money https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Empire_Field). The main problem is it'd have to be built on green space, and even if it was guaranteed to be for just two years there's no way the NIBY's would've let it happen.

I think people knew the SCG wasnt' going to be great, but I doubt few really saw how bad it was going to be.

For me north Sydney oval is a viable option for a lot of these games. It is an oval still but a far better view and easy to get to. Add to that the fact we have just invested in to the area with the bears as our feeder team and it makes sense to play at least the out of town sides there whilst the stadium is built.

mave

Coach
I know some people love using crowd numbers as a stick to beat opposition fans over the head with. And it is LU, so the trolling is inevitable.

But, when are people going to realise that clubs, the governing body, TV partners, ie: no-one who matters, actually care about live crowd figures.
The game has spent the best part of the last 20 years actively making decisons that will reduce crowd figures.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I know some people love using crowd numbers as a stick to beat opposition fans over the head with. And it is LU, so the trolling is inevitable.

But, when are people going to realise that clubs, the governing body, TV partners, ie: no-one who matters, actually care about live crowd figures.
The game has spent the best part of the last 20 years actively making decisons that will reduce crowd figures.

Which is very bizarre from a club point of view when you think that the revenue they could generate could be significantly higher with bigger crowds. Take a look at what the Broncos earn from their fanbase, its is massive compared to other clubs. NRL its easy money in the pocket for them to screw the fans and take the TV $'s so I get why they don't care. It doesn't have to be an and/or but at the moment the NRL is certainly creating a non friendly environment and the clubs apathy is happy to blame them.

T-Boon

Coach
For all those carrying on about easts crowds we are far from the worst of the Sydney teams. There have been 6 other games in Sydney with smaller crowds this year.

No other sydney club has the year in year out dominance the Roosters have. Any of these other clubs (that your super club raids and weakens for talent) had 10 years of this success would have 25k crowds (except Manly).

Relocate the Roosters.

T-Boon

Coach

That is why I don't get why the game has not moved to playing in quarters to maximise the TV dollar. Everything else has been sold out. I guess it all would have gotten squandered anyway as it has. So...

Cockosh

Juniors
No other sydney club has the year in year out dominance the Roosters have. Any of these other clubs (that your super club raids and weakens for talent) had 10 years of this success would have 25k crowds (except Manly).

Relocate the Roosters.
By not addressing the point I assume you acknowledge your comparison of roosters to swans is ridiculous?
Our crowd figures are on par with Sydney teams that have had similar dominance in the last few years ie souffs, sharks. There are no facts to support your opinions.

Cockosh

Juniors

Relocate the Roosters.
Also in the last 10 seasons 2009-2018 we have missed the top 8 4 times and won a spoon.
Over that same 10 years we rank 6th out of 9 Sydney teams for home crowds. The 3 teams below us are Manly who have played 7 finals series,sharks 6 finals and Penrith 5. Sharks and manly have played and won gfs. The 3 teams above us only average about 1000 more per home game over that period. Do you ever check facts?
Not really a compelling case to relocate us. That’s why the powers that be don’t listen to bias simpletons like you.

Last edited: