What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

General #crisis thread - league in the media

Stallion

First Grade
Except Ponga played Rugby as a youngster in NZ and Rah Rah as a teenager in Brisbane. Using your argument it pays to play RU as a kid to get a NRL contract. We are lucky we have more money to throw around and more Pro teams to attract talent. In NZ, SA and NH it is reversed.

Suggest Ponga would have totally played rugby league had it not been for an only rugby union policy in the elite private school he attended. Same goes for alot of general schooling in NZ I suggest and elsewhere .

Last edited:

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
They did but they got $78mill a year more from it (as well as other value adds) so by time we expand, if we expand, we have a long way to go to make up how far they have been ahead of us for a number of years. We might get up to where they are now in 2022 with expansion but we will be $400mill behind by that point. Still better late than never!

Yeah I see what you mean. Some of that $78 mill additional needs to be attributed to Rupert's dummy spit though.

hutch

First Grade
Except Ponga played Rugby as a youngster in NZ and Rah Rah as a teenager in Brisbane. Using your argument it pays to play RU as a kid to get a NRL contract. We are lucky we have more money to throw around and more Pro teams to attract talent. In NZ, SA and NH it is reversed.

Except he also played rugby league in nz, then played rugby league in Mackay when he moved there making Australian under 15’s when he was 14. He only played union when he moved to Brisbane and went to a private school, whilst still being on a rugby league scholarship and playing for easts tigers. He signed with the cowboys when he was 15. He is a rugby league junior before a rugby union player.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Except he also played rugby league in nz, then played rugby league in Mackay when he moved there making Australian under 15’s when he was 14. He only played union when he moved to Brisbane and went to a private school, whilst still being on a rugby league scholarship and playing for easts tigers. He signed with the cowboys when he was 15. He is a rugby league junior before a rugby union player.

His dad also played union.

We all know seeing a Gilbert in a shop window means being a “union junior”.

Rhino_NQ

Immortal

ParraEelsNRL

Referee
Have a look at the bottom graph, they have Union above League for club players yet want to rip into Cricket for false numbers? Who in their right mind would think Rugby Union even comes close to RL?
And at the same time they are ripping into cricket about using school comps and all the other stuff that supposedly goes with it like double counting yet they forgot to mention AFL have been doing this for years.

Registered players at sports clubs in 2018/19

They have Union at over 270,000 club players and RL at 174,000, WTF. Tennis has 399,000, Flogball has 386,000 and basketball with 458,000. What idiot decided to run with these numbers?

Yeah everywhere I go I see kids playing tennis and Basketball at their dedicated clubs everywhere, not.

George Colombaris - never heard of the f**ker - imagine if he was a NRL player?

This would be a good froth and fury, hand wringing, heads must roll, cry in shame, ban the bastards, 24 hour news cycle.

mongoose

Coach
Have a look at the bottom graph, they have Union above League for club players yet want to rip into Cricket for false numbers? Who in their right mind would think Rugby Union even comes close to RL?
And at the same time they are ripping into cricket about using school comps and all the other stuff that supposedly goes with it like double counting yet they forgot to mention AFL have been doing this for years.

Registered players at sports clubs in 2018/19

They have Union at over 270,000 club players and RL at 174,000, WTF. Tennis has 399,000, Flogball has 386,000 and basketball with 458,000. What idiot decided to run with these numbers?

Yeah everywhere I go I see kids playing tennis and Basketball at their dedicated clubs everywhere, not.

Was good to see Liz Ellis get stuck into AFL double counting on wwos. Really loving Liz at the moment.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
I'll tune in on Sunday morning to see Kellie Underwood's take on this story...

No doubt it is being spun in the planning meetings for the show right now. It'll end up being a Melbourne Storm NRL supporter that happened to be attending an AFL game.

Last edited:

Latest posts