What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Kiwis v Tonga

hutch

First Grade
To give rugby league players in Tonga a reason to play and a goal for the future. If the aim isn’t to grow rugby league in the actual country of Tonga then what is the point? They still haven’t produced a local rugby league player to the nrl, we need more kids and locals playing in the islands.

Clarkent

Juniors
To give rugby league players in Tonga a reason to play and a goal for the future. If the aim isn’t to grow rugby league in the actual country of Tonga then what is the point? They still haven’t produced a local rugby league player to the nrl, we need more kids and locals playing in the islands.
Konrad Hurrell and Solomone Kata we're local players sent to nz after playing for the Tongans schools at a young age... I agree with you but it's a tough one... Most local talents are picked up at a young age and sent over to nz and aussie

hutch

First Grade
Konrad Hurrell and Solomone Kata we're local players sent to nz after playing for the Tongans schools at a young age... I agree with you but it's a tough one... Most local talents are picked up at a young age and sent over to nz and aussie
Local rugby union players though. They never played rugby league until the warriors signed them.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Big squad named! I guess Foran being back in contention and a recall for Benji are the talking points.

https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/06/13/benji-returns-as-kiwis-name-strong-squad-for-tonga-test/

Leeson Ah Mau (Warriors)
Nelson Asofa-Solomona (Storm)
Jesse Bromwich (Storm)
Kenneath Bromwich (Storm)
James Fisher-Harris (Panthers)
Kieran Foran (Bulldogs)
Jahrome Hughes (Storm)
Jamayne Isaako (Broncos)
Shaun Johnson (Sharks)
Isaac Liu (Roosters)
Issac Luke (Warriors)
Joseph Manu (Roosters)
Benji Marshall (Wests Tigers)
Esan Marsters (Wests Tigers)
Ken Maumalo (Warriors)
Briton Nikora (Sharks)
Kodi Nikorima (Warriors)
Agnatius Paasi (Warriors)
Isaiah Papali’i (Warriors)
Jordan Rapana (Raiders)
Brandon Smith (Storm)
Joseph Tapine (Raiders)
Martin Taupau (Sea Eagles)
Zane Tetevano (Roosters)
Roger Tuivasa-Sheck (Warriors)
Jared Waerea-Hargreaves (Roosters)
Dallin Watene-Zelezniak (Bulldogs)

Out of interest, how many of these guys are eligible for Tonga and Samoa? Just want to know what the Kiwis would be left with if the current trends continue.

Panther_Daz

Staff member
Out of interest, how many of these guys are eligible for Tonga and Samoa? Just want to know what the Kiwis would be left with if the current trends continue.

To my knowledge the following can play for other nations;

Samoa - Asofa-Solomona, RTS, Ah Mau, Liu, Maumalo, Papali'i (Taupau and Isaako have defected already)
Cook Islands - Rapana, Tetevano, Marsters, Manu
Tonga - Paasi (DWZ is also eligible for Tonga but he won't defect)
Ireland - Luke

adamkungl

Immortal
I'm backing NZ to bounce back and put Tonga in their place. Some big name players keen to put some pride back in the jersey.

Clarkent

Juniors
Nice to see Asofa-Solomona yesterday declaring he would never backflip on NZ despite Samoan parents.

That kind of pride is what makes rep footy, regardless of which side it falls on.
He's getting alot of hate on fb but I have no problem at all with what he said... If that's what he believes in good on him kiwis needs more players like him passionate for the Jersey... Benji is another that would give anything for that kiwi jersey

Matua

Bench
To my knowledge the following can play for other nations;

Samoa - Asofa-Solomona, RTS, Ah Mau, Liu, Maumalo, Papali'i (Taupau and Isaako have defected already)
Cook Islands - Rapana, Tetevano, Marsters, Manu
Tonga - Paasi (DWZ is also eligible for Tonga but he won't defect)
Ireland - Luke
I didn't realise Isaako had defected, I thought he'd just missed out on the main squad.

He's where it's really starting to piss me off. He took up a (development) spot last year that someone committed to the Kiwis could have had.

adamkungl

Immortal
The Kiwi 1-6-7-9 are superior, but they need their forwards to aim up hard. The Kiwi pack is big, tough and experienced, no weak points there, but Tonga have the best 2 forwards in the game with Taumololo and Taukeiaho.

The backlines look fairly evenly matched. A lot of strike in both sides out wide.

Tonga can win by their 2 star forwards dominating the Kiwis and forcing the game to be played in their half of the field. Keep the mistakes low and have the halves kick deep.

For the Kiwis, it falls on Benji and SJ to win it. They need to keep the Tongan forwards guessing and moving with variation in the attack. Find ways to insert themselves into the game and make a difference.

Last edited:

Matua

Bench
He did it for his Samoan father who is dying of brain cancer.
It's irrelevant why a player does it, I don't care who they play for as it's their choice and their reasons, but the fact is we could have been exposing a committed Kiwi to the team last year and instead we gave valuable experience to an opponent.