What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 Crowd Watch

T-Boon

Coach
Also in the last 10 seasons 2009-2018 we have missed the top 8 4 times and won a spoon.
Over that same 10 years we rank 6th out of 9 Sydney teams for home crowds. The 3 teams below us are Manly who have played 7 finals series,sharks 6 finals and Penrith 5. Sharks and manly have played and won gfs. The 3 teams above us only average about 1000 more per home game over that period. Do you ever check facts?
Not really a compelling case to relocate us. That’s why the powers that be don’t listen to bias simpletons like you.

The Roosters are the only football club of any code in the country whose home is heartland of the sport it plays yet is getting beat out (badly i might add) in its own precinct by a team from a weaker foreign intruder code.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Also in the last 10 seasons 2009-2018 we have missed the top 8 4 times and won a spoon.
Over that same 10 years we rank 6th out of 9 Sydney teams for home crowds. The 3 teams below us are Manly who have played 7 finals series,sharks 6 finals and Penrith 5. Sharks and manly have played and won gfs. The 3 teams above us only average about 1000 more per home game over that period. Do you ever check facts?
Not really a compelling case to relocate us. That’s why the powers that be don’t listen to bias simpletons like you.

Well done, you’ve identified the 4 weakest links.

Valheru

Coach
No other sydney club has the year in year out dominance the Roosters have. Any of these other clubs (that your super club raids and weakens for talent) had 10 years of this success would have 25k crowds (except Manly).

Relocate the Roosters.

No they wouldn't and certainly not at the SCG

Cockosh

Juniors
The Roosters are the only football club of any code in the country whose home is heartland of the sport it plays yet is getting beat out (badly i might add) in its own precinct by a team from a weaker foreign intruder code.
Yep you’ve peddled this stupidity before. Who are you comparing to? Give us an identical comparison? Swans pull fans from all over Sydney to average about 30 odd thousand yet only the roosters are too blame.

Cockosh

Juniors
There have been 44 AFL games at ANZ Stadium since 2002 averaging 40000. So using your genius logic Bulldogs and Souffs have both been thoroughly humiliated in their own precinct by a foreign intruder code??

T-Boon

Coach
There have been 44 AFL games at ANZ Stadium since 2002 averaging 40000. So using your genius logic Bulldogs and Souffs have both been thoroughly humiliated in their own precinct by a foreign intruder code??

Don't get so upset. All I am saying is your club handed Sydney to AFL and were too dumb to do anything. See how Pearce got smarter when he left the Roosters? He uses actual words now, not grunting sounds. Someone explain to Cordner that it is not pronounced "fink". The Roosters even sound like they belong on the Central Coast.

Valheru

Coach
Don't get so upset. All I am saying is your club handed Sydney to AFL and were too dumb to do anything. See how Pearce got smarter when he left the Roosters? He uses actual words now, not grunting sounds. Someone explain to Cordner that it is not pronounced "fink". The Roosters even sound like they belong on the Central Coast.

You can take the boy out of Newcastle...

Cockosh

Juniors
Why would your ignorance upset me? I’ve just provided you some facts to disprove the claims you constantly repeat. Why don’t you respond to my questions? What exact comparison do you have? Are you saying that if swans played at Anz instead of scg dogs and Souths wouldn’t have let them succeed? Pearce is smarter now hahahaha. I actually agree. He is feigning injury to avoid origin. Clever.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
This is a weird attempt to use stats to discredit someone's position tbh.

I just looked it up - the Swans played 3 games at ANZ each year (compared to 8 at the SCG) up until 2015. I don't know how you think comparing 3 games to 9 or 10 makes any sense.

Also worth noting the Swans' ANZ crowds dropped away significantly from 2011-onwards.

Cockosh

Juniors
This is a weird attempt to use stats to discredit someone's position tbh.

I just looked it up - the Swans played 3 games at ANZ each year (compared to 8 at the SCG) up until 2015. I don't know how you think comparing 3 games to 9 or 10 makes any sense.

Also worth noting the Swans' ANZ crowds dropped away significantly from 2011-onwards.
The gist of his argument is that the roosters are the ONLY team in Australia that have allowed a foreign code to outdo it in its own backyard. Yet the same rival team plays multiple games over an extended period of time in a different precinct of Sydney where it outdoes those local nrl teams and you are questioning how my stats are relevant. Really? What difference does the number of games make??
Are you saying that if swans moved all their home games to Anz in that period their crowds would have declined? I highly doubt it.

Cockosh

Juniors
As I recall, very few didn't see how bad it was going to be.
Tbh it has been better than I expected , at least as far as our seats go. We are in chookpen in oreilly stand and view is better than I expected. The let down early on was lack of a game clock and tackle count which they’ve addressed and the screen opposite us is too small to get a decent look at replays. I think some of the other seats however are really bad and can understand why people are turned off. For the greater good hopefully.

Timmah

Staff member
The gist of his argument is that the roosters are the ONLY team in Australia that have allowed a foreign code to outdo it in its own backyard. Yet the same rival team plays multiple games over an extended period of time in a different precinct of Sydney where it outdoes those local nrl teams and you are questioning how my stats are relevant. Really? What difference does the number of games make??
It really is incredible how often some Roosters fans throw up strawman arguments to deflect from the fact they are grossly underperforming when it comes to crowd figures and member numbers.

Do you actually think comparing Roosters-Swans at Moore Park (9/10 games v 8 games) is the same as comparing Dogs/Rabbitohs-Swans at ANZ (9/10 games v 3 games) and doesn't make a difference?
Are you saying that if swans moved all their home games to Anz in that period their crowds would have declined? I highly doubt it.
Yes. Limiting the matches to 3-4 a year meant there was adequate supply v demand. A fulltime move to ANZ would have been unpopular with the fanbase, they were often calling for the joint to be abandoned for many years, crowds slid significantly from 2011 to the point where the Swans left the deal a year early in 2015 and haven't played there since.

But back to the point at hand - is it that hard to acknowledge that the Roosters struggle to draw crowds and should be doing better?

Cockosh

Juniors
It really is incredible how often some Roosters fans throw up strawman arguments to deflect from the fact they are grossly underperforming when it comes to crowd figures and member numbers.

Do you actually think comparing Roosters-Swans at Moore Park (9/10 games v 8 games) is the same as comparing Dogs/Rabbitohs-Swans at ANZ (9/10 games v 3 games) and doesn't make a difference?

Yes. Limiting the matches to 3-4 a year meant there was adequate supply v demand. A fulltime move to ANZ would have been unpopular with the fanbase, they were often calling for the joint to be abandoned for many years, crowds slid significantly from 2011 to the point where the Swans left the deal a year early in 2015 and haven't played there since.

But back to the point at hand - is it that hard to acknowledge that the Roosters struggle to draw crowds and should be doing better?
Read back through any of my posts over the years and I have always said roosters crowds are atrocious. But our crowds are far from the worst and when people make ridiculous statements like T boon I will point it out. The facts are that the swans played many games there and averaged better crowds than they do at scg. They are the only facts on offer. Even if swans moved to Anz and assuming you are right and their crowds dropped they’d still pull 20-25000 which is still far greater than dogs and particularly souffs. His argument is that the roosters are responsible. It wouldn’t matter where swans played in Sydney they’d outdo all nrl teams.

Timmah

Staff member
Read back through any of my posts over the years and I have always said roosters crowds are atrocious. But our crowds are far from the worst and when people make ridiculous statements like T boon I will point it out. The facts are that the swans played many games there and averaged better crowds than they do at scg. They are the only facts on offer. Even if swans moved to Anz and assuming you are right and their crowds dropped they’d still pull 20-25000 which is still far greater than dogs and particularly souffs. His argument is that the roosters are responsible. It wouldn’t matter where swans played in Sydney they’d outdo all nrl teams.
Using subjective wording like "many games" isn't factual. I pointed out the facts in my previous post about number of matches played at ANZ Stadium vs SCG and there is a serious disparity in the figures you're quoting.

Putting aside the fact Sydney wouldn't move to ANZ, it's worth noting that of course they'd average more than Canterbury and Souths because they don't have 7 other clubs in the same code vying for bums on seats. AFL fans in Sydney theoretically have a choice between two clubs, and so far most seem to be sticking with the Swans. Again - supply and demand.

I must say, using the Swans to try to claim the NRL clubs at the higher end of the attendance average scale are doing poorly is odd (and not really relevant). One of Canterbury and Souths have been in the top four average home attendances each season dating back to 2008, apart from I think 2017 where the Dogs were 6th or 7th and Souths were last.

Cockosh

Juniors
Using subjective wording like "many games" isn't factual. I pointed out the facts in my previous post about number of matches played at ANZ Stadium vs SCG and there is a serious disparity in the figures you're quoting.

Putting aside the fact Sydney wouldn't move to ANZ, it's worth noting that of course they'd average more than Canterbury and Souths because they don't have 7 other clubs in the same code vying for bums on seats. AFL fans in Sydney theoretically have a choice between two clubs, and so far most seem to be sticking with the Swans. Again - supply and demand.

I must say, using the Swans to try to claim the NRL clubs at the higher end of the attendance average scale are doing poorly is odd (and not really relevant). One of Canterbury and Souths have been in the top four average home attendances each season dating back to 2008, apart from I think 2017 where the Dogs were 6th or 7th and Souths were last.
I’m not using the swans to prove anyone is doing poorly I’m saying that if you compare any Sydney club to swans they will struggle give the exact reason you have stated. They don’t have 8 other clubs to compete with. So t boons assertion that the chooks have somehow failed being the only club to be outdone is ridiculous. I’m not bagging dogs or Souffs I’m just using his own logic to compare.
Also if you want to talk facts the swans have a higher home attendance at Anz than scg even in those years you mentioned. Their average in those years were dragged down by scg attendance not Anz.
Scg average 2011-2014 26580
Anz average 2011-2014 33344

Last edited:

bazza

Referee
they should build a new rectangular stadium that the roosters can play out of instead of the ill suited SCG

Timmah

Staff member
I’m not using the swans to prove anyone is doing poorly I’m saying that if you compare any Sydney club to swans they will struggle give the exact reason you have stated. They don’t have 8 other clubs to compete with. So t boons assertion that the chooks have somehow failed being the only club to be outdone is ridiculous. I’m not bagging dogs or Souffs I’m just using his own logic to compare.
Also if you want to talk facts the swans have a higher home attendance at Anz than scg even in those years you mentioned. Their average in those years were dragged down by scg attendance not Anz.
Scg average 2011-2014 26580
Anz average 2011-2014 33344
Roosters are the only club head to head with the Swans in that precinct though, that's probably what T-Boon is getting at. Agreed its a poor comparison when they have less competition for fans though.

As for your averages above citing higher crowds at ANZ over SCG - that comes back to supply and demand given - again - 8 games at SCG and 3 at ANZ. Of course ANZ will average more.

Timmah

Staff member
they should build a new rectangular stadium that the roosters can play out of instead of the ill suited SCG
Sounds like a great idea. I wonder if the NSW Government have thought of it? :thinking:

Latest posts