What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 State of Origin - Game 2 thread

Soren Lorenson

First Grade
I don't agree with the wholesale changes, then again I didn't agree with his halves selections for game 1.

Last year the team was picked on club form. This year it was also on form, except for Cleary who has a special exemption. No idea why. Is it a team picked on form or is it a pick n stick team ? This is the problem as you can't have both.
The whole system revolves around identifying players young, picking them in 18's, the emerging blues squads, creating a pathway. For example, Freddy and Buderus crapped on about how they new exactly what Haas was going to bring to the team because he has been in the system for years. They have worked hard to make SoO about more than just the 3 games.
Then the first chance they get, they wash their hands of a young player who is clearly having some life issues. They 100% would have known about the outside stuff Latrell is experiencing. Fittler should have been dealing with Latrell's form issues weeks before now, and Latrell should have known before he played on the weekend that he was dropped.

Gazzamatta

Coach
I don't agree with the wholesale changes, then again I didn't agree with his halves selections for game 1.

Last year the team was picked on club form. This year it was also on form, except for Cleary who has a special exemption. No idea why. Is it a team picked on form or is it a pick n stick team ? This is the problem as you can't have both.
I recall Gus saying that he told Fittler last year that if he picked Cleary he had to keep picking him.
Gus also, it appears, was up to his bootlaces in dropping Mitchell.

Eelogical

Referee
Anyone else watching any of the old SOO games on the NRL's website? I'm watching the 1st game of 1981........brings back some memories.

Gronk

Staff member
I recall Gus saying that he told Fittler last year that if he picked Cleary he had to keep picking him.
Gus also, it appears, was up to his bootlaces in dropping Mitchell.

Yeah I heard that on his podcast. Freddy has to keep picking Cleary bc he promised Gus he would ? Weird. :thinking:

Matty Bhoy

Juniors
The whole system revolves around identifying players young, picking them in 18's, the emerging blues squads, creating a pathway. For example, Freddy and Buderus crapped on about how they new exactly what Haas was going to bring to the team because he has been in the system for years. They have worked hard to make SoO about more than just the 3 games.
Then the first chance they get, they wash their hands of a young player who is clearly having some life issues. They 100% would have known about the outside stuff Latrell is experiencing. Fittler should have been dealing with Latrell's form issues weeks before now, and Latrell should have known before he played on the weekend that he was dropped.

I completely agree. It's the complete opposite to what we do and there's a reason we've had more success. There is no way on God's green Earth that Mitchell would get dropped from the Qld side.

hindy111

Post Whore

Cleary is 21yrs old. If he works out they have one half sorted for 10yrs. That is my guess. Plus he defends well and his kicking game is as good as any half. Also a great goal kicker.

Swapping wingers or Forwards is easier then players in the spine. What made QLD so great was the spine stayed consitent .
Slater,Cronk,Thurston,Smith..... They new all the plays.

strider

Post Whore
Cleary is 21yrs old. If he works out they have one half sorted for 10yrs. That is my guess. Plus he defends well and his kicking game is as good as any half. Also a great goal kicker.

Swapping wingers or Forwards is easier then players in the spine. What made QLD so great was the spine stayed consitent .
Slater,Cronk,Thurston,Smith..... They new all the plays.
The spine was also future immortals

hindy111

Post Whore
The spine was also future immortals

Sure...But chopping and chaning and teaching new halves new game plans etc would take time. How good would it be if they knew them all and could work on different things and a bigger play book?

Soren Lorenson

First Grade
Yeah, just stupid. Funnily enough Mark Latham suggested the same thing (except he congratulated the NSW selectors for doing so), so Tahu is in esteemed company.
How did Mark Latham's comment manage to go so un-noticed? Normally that sort of thing provokes outrage for days.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah, just stupid. Funnily enough Mark Latham suggested the same thing (except he congratulated the NSW selectors for doing so), so Tahu is in esteemed company.

thats a worry if anyone agrees with Latham