What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2022 Qatar World Cup

thorson1987

Coach
Confirmed to be played Nov-Dec

https://www.foxsports.com.au/footba...r/news-story/baf0e65bc2bc75a1ee9d468298c2c4d9

Qatar 2022 will be held in November and December
WORLD CUP

• July 14, 2018 8:24am
  • by THE SUN
  • Source: The Sun
MTQ3MjAxODF8Y3hvLmJ8aHR0cHM6Ly9jZG4ubmV3c2FwaS5jb20uYXUvaW1hZ2UvdjEvN2I0ODMxOGIwNTliMmY4NDVmMGFiMzdiN2UyM2NjZTd8ZTA1NTJlZQ==

FIFA President Gianni Infantino has confirmed Qatar 2022 will be held in November and December.Source: AP
FOOTBALL fans’ worst fears have been realised after it was revealed that Qatar 2022 would indeed be the first-ever winter edition of the tournament.
The 2022 World Cup will kick off on November 21 with the final played on December 18 — just a week before Christmas.

The news was confirmed as FIFA president Gianni Infantino hailed the 2018 competition in Russia as the best ever.

“For a couple of years I have been saying that this will be the best World Cup ever and today I can say that with conviction — it is the best World Cup ever.

“I would like to thank everyone. The main actors are on the pitch — the players, referees and coaches — but, of course, there are also all those who have worked to make sure everything has worked smoothly.

“A big thank you to the Russia government and Vladimir Putin, the local organising committee, the Russian Football Union, the volunteers, the heart and smile of the World Cup, all those people, more than 100,000 who helped in one capacity or another.

“Everyone discovered a beautiful country, a welcoming country, that is keen to show the world that everything that has been said before might not be true.

MTQ3MjAxODF8Y3hvLmJ8aHR0cHM6Ly9jZG4ubmV3c2FwaS5jb20uYXUvaW1hZ2UvdjEvMmJkMGVlMTMwYWMyNDZiMWIzNjdjNTU3OGE0MzBjYWV8ZTA1NTJlZQ==

Infantino has hailed Russia 2018 as the best ever.Source: AP
“A lot of preconceived ideas have been changed because people have seen the true nature of Russia.”

The Swiss also revealed he is pushing ahead to expand the competition to 48 teams for the Qatar 2022 World Cup.

While FIFA have set in stone the 28-day window between November 21 and December 18, Infantino is still determined to force through the expansion.

“We will decide whether it’s 48 or 32 teams in the next few months. We must have discussions with the Qataris and then if there is a possibility with the FIFA Council and stakeholders. Then we will decide calmly and quietly what the decision is.

MTQ3MjAxODF8Y3hvLmJ8aHR0cHM6Ly9jZG4ubmV3c2FwaS5jb20uYXUvaW1hZ2UvdjEvNjk1MGYwNTU2Yzc3MmZlYjg4NGZkNDY2NGMyYjY2ZTB8ZTA1NTJlZQ==

Croatia's supporters deploy a giant flag on Manezhnaya square in Moscow.Source: AFP
“For now it’s a World Cup with 32 teams but everybody is open-minded and we will have a frank and open debate.”

That would include playing games in other Gulf states outside Qatar — despite the current trade and border blockade between the tiny country and it’s Saudi-backed neighbours.

Infantino added: “I will be happy if it stays at 32 teams as previously established. Qatar could insist on 32.

“But if everybody comes on board and thinks it might be positive to change to 48 we can have a look. All options will be on the table.

“Maybe, through FIFA and football, we could bring countries together and allow them to start having dialogue. Football can open up the doors to communication between nations.”

Tommy Smith

Referee
"Best World Cup ever"...

So let's change the date to winter as well as the format.

Brilliant.

A 48 team tournament consisting of 16 groups of 3 would be an utter utter cataclysmic disaster.

The change in format of the Euros led to the worst tournament I've ever witnessed when the Euros is normally better than the World Cup. Ffs learn from that mistake.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
ridiculous decision

so all competitions around the world will have to take a month or so off because FIFA are a corrupt bunch of pricks ?

they make one shit decision then have to make another crap decision like this in an attempt to fix it

shiznit

Coach
The whole thing just seems crazy.

Nothing about the Qatar bid made any sense... the fact the bid was even considered was strange because of the size and infrastructure needed to pull this event off its just insane.

To me... it’s kinda like if some super rich dude just bribed everyone and Wagga Wagga ended up hosting the Olympic Games... with great respect to the people of Wagga... that’s just nonsense...

hellteam

First Grade
Fans from 48 countries in one country that is far smaller than Brisbane will be absolute chaos

Vozzy

Juniors
Fans from 48 countries in one country that is far smaller than Brisbane will be absolute chaos

Especially considering all women will have to be covered and men who are gay won't be able to show any affection to their partners. I can see so many arrests happening with this causing a world uproar.

Pommy

Coach
I can’t believe this hasn’t been taken off Qatar yet. There was a documentary on TV years ago showing the conditions of the workers who are building all the infrastructure and the death toll was awful for the modern day.

Tommy Smith

Referee
I can’t believe this hasn’t been taken off Qatar yet. There was a documentary on TV years ago showing the conditions of the workers who are building all the infrastructure and the death toll was awful for the modern day.
It's literally the 'Slave Labour World Cup'.

Qatar 2022 is an atrocity on every level.

Pommy

Coach
It's literally the 'Slave Labour World Cup'.

Qatar 2022 is an atrocity on every level.

I’m not totally convinced it will happen. The closer it gets I can’t believe major sponsors won’t come under pressure to withdraw their support.
Although I thought this would have happened already.

To be fair many had doubts about this one being in Russia and they hit it out of the park, which gives me a glimmer of hope about 2022. That said the Qatar call was much worse than the Russia one in my mind. I hope it does get taken off them, and not just because we would be in contention. Had we lost the bid to Japan, USA or Korea I wouldn't have minded at all, because you know all 3 would put on a cracking event.

DC80

Juniors
To be fair many had doubts about this one being in Russia and they hit it out of the park, which gives me a glimmer of hope about 2022. That said the Qatar call was much worse than the Russia one in my mind. I hope it does get taken off them, and not just because we would be in contention. Had we lost the bid to Japan, USA or Korea I wouldn't have minded at all, because you know all 3 would put on a cracking event.
My thinking too. After the tournament Russia just hosted it would probably be wise not to judge Qatar before the event even kicks off. The timing of the tournament with the final a week before Christmas seems strange, but it may actually work.

Danish

Referee
So how much compensation will the various euro leagues get for having a gaping 6-8 week hole in their seasons?

Tommy Smith

Referee
So how much compensation will the various euro leagues get for having a gaping 6-8 week hole in their seasons?
Not to mention the 100s of millions they lost in appeasing US broadcasters as the World Cup now clashes with the NFL.

Danish

Referee
Not to mention the 100s of millions they lost in appeasing US broadcasters as the World Cup now clashes with the NFL.

Which is probably another reason why they are scrambling to move the expansion to 48 teams to 2022.

Imagine how pissed Fox would be with a winter World Cup if the US once again failed to qualify

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Ex-UEFA president Michel Platini arrested in France over awarding of 2022 World Cup to Qatar
ASIAN CUP

• June 18, 2019 7:17pm
  • by STAFF WRITERS
  • Source: FOX SPORTS
14d18f221ca449d69a6e8f5323261a60

Michel Platini has reportedly been arrested over the awarding of the World Cup to Qatar.Source: AFP
Former UEFA president Michel Platini has been arrested in France over the awarding of the 2022 World Cup to Qatar.

The Mirror in England reported the news on Tuesday night, quoting Mediapart in saying that the French football legend was taken into custody at the premises of the Anti-Corruption Office of the Judicial Police (OCLCIFF) on Tuesday morning.

Martyn Ziegler

The 63-year-old Platini was elected as UEFA president in 2007 and served in that role until 2015 when he was banned by the FIFA Ethics Committee for a series of breaches.

Qatar was named as the hosts of the World Cup in December 2010 but there have been a number of controversies regarding their suitability.

There have also been issues regarding migrant workers’ rights in Qatar with estimates that up to 4,000 may die before the start of the tournament.

Former vice-president Jack Warner claimed an e-mail had been publicised amid allegations Qatar had ‘bought’ the Wold Cup — although the bid team has denied any wrongdoing.

Of the 22-man FIFA executive committee who voted on the host nations of the 2018 and 2022 World Cups, 10 have been banned or are serving a ban for corruption breaches.

89c766d1b1199d1b95774d79d096e363

Michel Platini addresses the media as he leaves the Court of Arbitration for Sport in 2016.Source: AFP
Platini had been expected to succeed Sepp Blatter as FIFA president in 2016 before both were banned from football from four years.

Platini was banned for receiving a £1.35m payment from FIFA on Blatter’s orders and has served three-and-a-half years of a four-year ban.

He claimed last year that he had been cleared by Swiss judges and is taking legal action over defamation and false accusation.

After being cleared, Platini said: “I will come back – where, when, how? It is too early to tell. But I will come back to football.”

During his playing days, Platini was crowned Ballon d’Or winner three times in a row between 1983 and 1985.

He made his name with Nancy but also enjoyed spells with Saint-Etienne and Juventus, and

was part of the French side that won the 1984 European Championship.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/footba...r/news-story/f6834968b8c3e42b1dfff7468480bfc0

King hit

Coach
Probably been said a billion times on here but I want to vent my disgust that those oil pigs can host a World Cup.

Fancy allowing a country smaller then Tasmania with a population less then Adelaide with no sporting culture or history. Uses Islamic law, supports slavery, in a dangerous region of the world, with little acceptance to westerners, with no alcohol, women are treated like animals with no rights, being gay is a crime etc to host a World Cup. They are demolishing their slave exploitation built stadiums straight after the event and are just pandering to their egos.

I hope their team is humiliated and the World Cup 2022 fails. Shame on the corrupt arseholes who gave these losers the biggest event in the world.

Pommy

Coach
Probably been said a billion times on here but I want to vent my disgust that those oil pigs can host a World Cup.

Fancy allowing a country smaller then Tasmania with a population less then Adelaide with no sporting culture or history. Uses Islamic law, supports slavery, in a dangerous region of the world, with little acceptance to westerners, with no alcohol, women are treated like animals with no rights, being gay is a crime etc to host a World Cup. They are demolishing their slave exploitation built stadiums straight after the event and are just pandering to their egos.

I hope their team is humiliated and the World Cup 2022 fails. Shame on the corrupt arseholes who gave these losers the biggest event in the world.

Couldn’t agree more there should be a boycott but until one nation makes a stand nobody else will follow.
If one of the big European footballing nations took a stand the entire thing would fall over within a week. Public pressure and social media anger would force the hands of others.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
Took me a while to find this thread.

Anywho...it has started.

Hard to go past the usual suspects

France, Germany, Brazil, Spain.

I expect one to win it, hopefully some team from outside Europe and South America make the final at least, highly doubtful.

Other Euros and Latinos every chance, but Asia, Africa, NA, no chance.

I will go Germany paying $2.90 to make the semis, will not be betting, that is stupid short, Brazil is $2 to make semis.

Shyte odds.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
lol@qatarWC

Huge corruption to get it, spend billions on stadiums of no use later, many die during construction.

First home team ever to lose first game, expected to be the first home not to win a game.

images

Now for England to fail and Brazii/Argentina V France/Germany/Spain final.

Latest posts