What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

Soto

Bench
It's all hypothetical but I think he would have made a great half in today's game. Where else would you have put him?
Saw a fair bit of Bert and he would glide past opponents. Absolute class.
Definitely one of the best Eels ever, one of the most underrated players ever and schooled Wally Lewis on many occassions.
Never seen another player effortlessly beat players the way he did with his swerve.

Eelogical

Referee
Saw a fair bit of Bert and he would glide past opponents. Absolute class.
Definitely one of the best Eels ever, one of the most underrated players ever and schooled Wally Lewis on many occassions.
Never seen another player effortlessly beat players the way he did with his swerve.
He was a natural playing in an Eels dream team.

Eelogical

Referee
It's true. This has been a rare high point.
11149390-3x2-700x467.jpg

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
Any player who misses a tackle at times could be construed as a liability. We should have f**ked him off to Newtown.
He was a liability in defence at times when the intercept didnt come off.

These occasional poor decisions in defence were offset by all of the other amazing things he did on the field. They also weren't exploited in the way that they would be now so it was probably a more calculated risk back then.

So in short, f**k him off to Redcliffe!

Glenneel

Bench
i think that's the biggest problem with moses he can pass and kick pretty well he just gets flustered under pressure and doesn't execute properly
Yes a big problem for him, but more importantly, if our forwards turn to shit, which they seem to do every second game, his performances suffer accordingly. Imagine Cronk behind our pack, he'd just be another of our nuffie halfbacks. Need the forwards to be consistent for Moses to perform much better.

On Drown I'll reserve judgement for now, I need a larger sample and he is very young. Defence is good, attack still a wip. Not confident BA can extract the best out of him, maybe A Johns can be bought in to help with both (as he does at the Roosters). But again it all comes back to the forwards.

Glenneel

Bench
Mate, you've been sniffing the paint before stirring it....no offence intended. There are many others to choose from but I'd go for Kenny, just shading Sterlo.
Kenny was far from skilful, not a great passer of the ball and don't ever remember him kicking but boy could he run and had great hands. Run at gaps or just created them, I don't know which, but had a great swerve that left defenders grasping and missing. Also in a great team that should have won 4 g/f in a row, bloody hollywood Hartley disallowed a Kenny try right under the sticks, no video replay in those days.

Glenneel

Bench
Sorry, man - crappy day.

Brett Kenny is definitely one of our greatest ever Eels, hands down.
How come both Kenny and Sterling were/are never mentioned as immortals? Kenny always shaded Wally in any games in which they were opposed plus kept Wally out of 5/8 position in 1984? tour of England. Sure Wally was more skilful and deserves his immortal status but so does the other two. You don't win 4 g/fs in important positions without being good.