What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 Crowd Watch

greenBV4

Bench
Anyone got any predictions/insights for Rep Round crowds?
including the women theres 8 games so it basically is like a whole round

Not really basing these off anything so could be way off but:

SA vs Cook Islands @ Ringrose:

Womens Origin @ NSO:

Womens NZ vs Samoa &
NZ vs Tonga @ Auckland:

Womens Fiji vs Png &
Fiji vs Lebanon &
PNG vs Samoa @ Leichhardt

Origin II @ Perth

total: 120,000
average: 15,000

w/o RLWC qualifier and Womens games (4 games)
total: 107,000
average: 26,750

ReddFelon

Juniors

Womens Origin @ NSO:

Womens NZ vs Samoa &
NZ vs Tonga @ Auckland:

Womens Fiji vs Png &
Fiji vs Lebanon &

Origin II @ Perth

Why 59000 when Optus seats 60,000 normally and 64,000 in rectangle mode?

Burns

First Grade
Those Oceanic Tests aren't tracking like that at all.

Forecasted showers in Sydney on Saturday, I think 8,000 - 9,000 for Leichhardt.

The ticket prices for Auckland has been a car crash, they've don't appear to have sold even half the stadium. Might get to 20,000. Duco Events that are managing the match (they did Auckland 9's).

Cockosh

Juniors
Roosters are the only club head to head with the Swans in that precinct though, that's probably what T-Boon is getting at. Agreed its a poor comparison when they have less competition for fans though.

As for your averages above citing higher crowds at ANZ over SCG - that comes back to supply and demand given - again - 8 games at SCG and 3 at ANZ. Of course ANZ will average more.
I take your point regarding supply and demand and there is some novelty factor involved playing at ANZ being an event. They probably wouldn’t sustain those averages.
Of course we are the only one head to head but that’s just circumstance.We can hardly be held to account for swans success or otherwise.
Our crowds are abysmal but the amount of flak we cop is disproportionate considering that over a long period of time, 10 years, the 2nd best Sydney team Souths only averages 3000 more than us. They have had their best period of success in 50 years. Again I’m not bagging them but applying the same critique we cop. Dogs are the only Sydney club with decent support considering they’ve had some lean years. You could argue Saints and tigers are poor considering they merged so should have double supporter base of chooks but are only marginally higher notwithstanding poorer form. In saying that we’ve missed the top 8 4 times in 10 years.

carcharias

Immortal
I take your point regarding supply and demand and there is some novelty factor involved playing at ANZ being an event. They probably wouldn’t sustain those averages.
Of course we are the only one head to head but that’s just circumstance.We can hardly be held to account for swans success or otherwise.
Our crowds are abysmal but the amount of flak we cop is disproportionate considering that over a long period of time, 10 years, the 2nd best Sydney team Souths only averages 3000 more than us. They have had their best period of success in 50 years. Again I’m not bagging them but applying the same critique we cop. Dogs are the only Sydney club with decent support considering they’ve had some lean years. You could argue Saints and tigers are poor considering they merged so should have double supporter base of chooks but are only marginally higher notwithstanding poorer form. In saying that we’ve missed the top 8 4 times in 10 years.

There are so many variables to consider.
Using Brisbane as an example of what crowds should be is stupid.
If Sydney only had one team I’m sure the crowds would be great.

Some clubs have an extra 50 years worth of existence to draw support from compared to other clubs.
Support does flow on down through family and generations.
My club, The Sharks have really only had 1 maybe 2 generations to draw support on.
In 1967 most people living in the shire would’ve already had a team - their kids more than likely followed their parents.
So it’s not as simple as just having people living in the area.
I know plenty of people who follow the sharks, wear all the gear and live here.
They don’t go to games though.
1) it’s too expensive
2) they just don’t like going, they’d rather spend their weekend at home.
This would be the same with every team.

You also need to consider membership averages across the board.... and how the crowd averages compare.

greenBV4

Bench
Why 59000 when Optus seats 60,000 normally and 64,000 in rectangle mode?
I wasn't aware it fit more in rectangular mode, but are they going to use it?

Also Im sure itll eventually sell out but large stadiums with members rarely ever hit capacity

titoelcolombiano

First Grade

Womens Origin @ NSO:

Womens NZ vs Samoa &
NZ vs Tonga @ Auckland:

Womens Fiji vs Png &
Fiji vs Lebanon &

Origin II @ Perth

SA v Cooks - 1000
WSOO - 9 - 10k
NZ v Tonga - 30k
(they will make sure it is full, Tongans are a late walk-up crowd and the ticket prices will also drop to encourage this)
Pacific Tests - 8k (it loses about half the crowd with Tonga missing, Fiji and PNG won't bring many and the Lebanese players won't commit to the game so why will their community?)
Origin II - 58,649

Canard

Immortal

Also Im sure itll eventually sell out but large stadiums with members rarely ever hit capacity

I assume they wouldn't use it mid-season for fear of damaging the AFL pitch much like how they don't at Marvel Stadium in Melbourne.

Looking it up they claim they can get 65,000 in rectangular mode by the addition of drop in seats.

https://optusstadium.com.au/the-stadium/fact-sheets/rectangular-sports-fact-sheet

The fact we have a 65k rectangular stadium in Perth and a 55k in Brisbane, makes the decision to have the GF at SCG look ridiculous and potential loss of goverment revenue.

Perth Red

Post Whore
At this point it is a fact. A Perth team is fictitious. Therefore they have zero crowds. Therefore fact

So you're saying an existing club is getting more than a club that doesn't exist? Wow you're a fricking genius! Any other pearls of wisdom?

Perth Red

Post Whore

No its not being used. I guess due to ticket sales and pitch issues during AFL season.

Still not quite sold out so Im guessing around 57k on the night. I hope my seats are under the drip line as storms are forecast! Whenever we get a June RL game in perth we get a storm along with it!

carcharias

Immortal
No its not being used. I guess due to ticket sales and pitch issues during AFL season.

Still not quite sold out so Im guessing around 57k on the night. I hope my seats are under the drip line as storms are forecast! Whenever we get a June RL game in perth we get a storm along with it!

What no roof?

Last time they go there then.

Perth Red

Post Whore
What no roof?

Last time they go there then.

85% roof coverage, though like most stadiums if its whipping in good luck with that.
A raincoat and a beanie will do the trick, something NRL fans need to invest in so they dont bail on their clubs every time there's a bit of precipitation in the air.

carcharias

Immortal
85% roof coverage, though like most stadiums if its whipping in good luck with that.
A raincoat and a beanie will do the trick, something NRL fans need to invest in so they dont bail on their clubs every time there's a bit of precipitation in the air.

You’re already making excuses.... and you don’t even have a team yet.

Latest posts