What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pop the champagne

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
Yeah, I don't like this thread.

Kata hasn't consistently found the way to play his best footy with us. He had an absolutely stellar year, was it his 2nd year? Then obviously there's something that is holding him back. I know his English wasn't great at all when he got to the club, whether there's a breakdown in being able to coach him or in communication, I'm not sure. Yes his inability to pass is frustrating. Maybe he's not a centre?

But to bag shit on a guy who by all reports and from what I can see is a genuinely good person, with from what I'm told has a great training ethic, is never in trouble off the field and just hasn't made it for whatever reason.

Let's not be those fans. If he goes, I genuinely hope he becomes the NRL first grader I still believe, and actually believed he could be with us as of this year.

Matua

Bench
Yeah, I don't like this thread.

Kata hasn't consistently found the way to play his best footy with us. He had an absolutely stellar year, was it his 2nd year? Then obviously there's something that is holding him back. I know his English wasn't great at all when he got to the club, whether there's a breakdown in being able to coach him or in communication, I'm not sure. Yes his inability to pass is frustrating. Maybe he's not a centre?

But to bag shit on a guy who by all reports and from what I can see is a genuinely good person, with from what I'm told has a great training ethic, is never in trouble off the field and just hasn't made it for whatever reason.

Let's not be those fans. If he goes, I genuinely hope he becomes the NRL first grader I still believe, and actually believed he could be with us as of this year.
Yeah, he's just not good enough and he's held a spot that better players could have occupied. His play put the Warriors under pressure and cost them try scoring opportunities.

Let's not pretend it's any different. It's not his fault that Kearney kept selecting him but I for one will be happy when he moves on. If he's successful somewhere else then great, because he's not successful here.

This is a forum, I bet there's not a player playing who hasn't been bagged on here.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
Yeah, he's just not good enough and he's held a spot that better players could have occupied. His play put the Warriors under pressure and cost them try scoring opportunities.

Let's not pretend it's any different. It's not his fault that Kearney kept selecting him but I for one will be happy when he moves on. If he's successful somewhere else then great, because he's not successful here.

This is a forum, I bet there's not a player playing who hasn't been bagged on here.

I know he's not good enough for first grade. He kept getting picked when he shouldn't have. That wasn't on him.

I just don't see the need for the unnecessary putting the boot up his arse and rejoicing that he might go. I get the Blair bagging because of the way he's been with the World Cup debacle etc, but Kata has never done anything but give it a crack.

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
People have wanted him gone for awhile and he's finally leaving = yay.

That's just how football works.

The club is more important than any player.

I'll be just as happy when Kearney gets the boot even though I have nothing against him as a person or wish any harm to him.

I want a winning club and at this point don't give two shits who has their feelings hurt on the way out the door.

Besides, compared to a lot of posts about Kata this thread is mild as a plain scone without butter.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
People have wanted him gone for awhile and he's finally leaving = yay.

That's just how football works.

The club is more important than any player.

I'll be just as happy when Kearney gets the boot even though I have nothing against him as a person or wish any harm to him.

I want a winning club and at this point don't give two shits who has their feelings hurt on the way out the door.

Besides, compared to a lot of posts about Kata this thread is mild as a plain scone without butter.

Don't you? Because the more that head out the door bruised, the more we get the reputation as a club that breaks people and sends them off worse than when they came in, the less anyone will want to come.

I dunno, just my point of view. Anyone who comes to this club and gives it their all, regardless of how successful or underwhelming they are, gets my respect.

Reactions: JJ

JJ

Immortal
I know he's not good enough for first grade. He kept getting picked when he shouldn't have. That wasn't on him.

I just don't see the need for the unnecessary putting the boot up his arse and rejoicing that he might go. I get the Blair bagging because of the way he's been with the World Cup debacle etc, but Kata has never done anything but give it a crack.
Yep, Kata hasn't been developed, and we can't blame him for the fact that he was picked in first grade every week...

The blame lies fairly and squarely (IMO) with Kearney and formerly McFadden - I'll be subscribing to a champagne thread if they rid themselves of Kearney - still, on recent form they'll sign someone worse and quickly given them an upgrade and extension

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
Don't you? Because the more that head out the door bruised, the more we get the reputation as a club that breaks people and sends them off worse than when they came in, the less anyone will want to come.

I dunno, just my point of view. Anyone who comes to this club and gives it their all, regardless of how successful or underwhelming they are, gets my respect.

He's been moved on because he's not good enough. Happens to dozens of players every year at multiple clubs.

That's the brutal reality.

Results hurt the perception of the club more than anything else, which is why moving on players like Kata doesn't hurt us on or off the field.

JJ

Immortal
He's been moved on because he's not good enough. Happens to dozens of players every year at multiple clubs.

That's the brutal reality.

Results hurt the perception of the club more than anything else, which is why moving on players like Kata doesn't hurt us on or off the field.
it is a little weird to go from undroppable to unwanted in the space of a few weeks though?

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
it is a little weird to go from undroppable to unwanted in the space of a few weeks though?

No doubt. It seemed like he was rusted on and then all of a sudden he's banished.

We do have a Muppet coach though.

The only thing I can think of is that he fell out of favour after the Cowboys game. That was the one where Roache/Fus made a long break and then Kata thought it would be wise to take a dummy half run from 20m out.

Maybe that was the last straw/moment the penny dropped for SK.

Once Herbert replaced him and performed Kata became too expensive to justify being in reserves.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
Remember when they said we will try him on the right side?

Lasted a couple of games then to reserves, only to play left centre.

Still an if, but if Melbourne do sign him, they will turn into a forward.

Could always attack ok, not great at passing, but his defence was the issue, not actually tackling, knowing who to tackle., thin air many times.

BLN2

Juniors
Kata won't be a forward, he's not big enough. Can't see him being a decent defender around the ruck also. He plays like a prop though..

See Satae is a rumoured target of Hull. He's got 2.5 years to go on his contract. Would be bizarre if we let him go, surely they like him if he has such a long contract. I don't know what they've seen, has never shown ability in the NRL to justify anything more than a cheap 1 year deal IMO.

jaseg

Juniors
Kata won't be a forward, he's not big enough. Can't see him being a decent defender around the ruck also. He plays like a prop though..

See Satae is a rumoured target of Hull. He's got 2.5 years to go on his contract. Would be bizarre if we let him go, surely they like him if he has such a long contract. I don't know what they've seen, has never shown ability in the NRL to justify anything more than a cheap 1 year deal IMO.

He's never shown it because in large part he simply hasn't had the opportunity. When he plays first grade, he usually plays a tiny amount of minutes, and often gets put on as the opposition is going through a massive phase of possession - so his tackle/minute counts are ridiculous (just under 1 tackle/minute this season, about 0.7 last season - the average for a prop is just under 0.5), but gets little/no opportunity to show anything other than his ability to make a tackle.

He's actually a solid prop, and has been so for 2 years now consistently in NSW cup. If you gave him 30-35ish minutes a game and a few games in a row, you'd see it. But we play with 3 props in the 17...

I'd just drop Blair for him (or Sao), but he's another guy who just keeps getting first grade games - unfortunately the judiciary got it right where the ref screwed up last week, and Blair isn't suspended...

JJ

Immortal
He's never shown it because in large part he simply hasn't had the opportunity. When he plays first grade, he usually plays a tiny amount of minutes, and often gets put on as the opposition is going through a massive phase of possession - so his tackle/minute counts are ridiculous (just under 1 tackle/minute this season, about 0.7 last season - the average for a prop is just under 0.5), but gets little/no opportunity to show anything other than his ability to make a tackle.

He's actually a solid prop, and has been so for 2 years now consistently in NSW cup. If you gave him 30-35ish minutes a game and a few games in a row, you'd see it. But we play with 3 props in the 17...

I'd just drop Blair for him (or Sao), but he's another guy who just keeps getting first grade games - unfortunately the judiciary got it right where the ref screwed up last week, and Blair isn't suspended...
That's Kearney's MO though, right?

You're either in the cool kids club and getting big minutes regardless of the drivel you serve up, or you're in the outside and occasionally get picked and get a ridiculously small amount of minutes and then get dropped again regardless

God I want rid of the potato

jaseg

Juniors
That's Kearney's MO though, right?

You're either in the cool kids club and getting big minutes regardless of the drivel you serve up, or you're in the outside and occasionally get picked and get a ridiculously small amount of minutes and then get dropped again regardless

God I want rid of the potato

Yep, like Pulu hasn't played at all this year for some weird reason either.. particularly with Tohu carrying an injury, I'd expect _something_.

Sigh.