What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What I dont underatand

Shredder

Juniors
I ran some numbers and they dont make sense.

The NRL salary cap is $9.6mln and minimum wage is $105,000 (which I think covers development players as well). We have four development players at the moment.

Maths:

2 x $1mln =$2mln
5 x $500k = $2.5mln
4 x $350k = $1.4mln
11 x $250k = $2.75mln
8 x $105k = $840k

This is a total of $9.49mln and under the cap.

Where the f**k are both of our million dollar players??

The press keeps saying that Packer is our highest paid player at $700k. That leaves an AVERAGE of over $300k per player for the rest of the top 30.

What the f**k are these guys being paid?

On these numbers we could have Lattrell and Tamulolo playing for us.....

Tiger05

First Grade
Brooks must be on as much as Packer and Reynolds. I wouldn't be surprised if Matulino is on over $500k as well.

I'd love to see where all our cap is going but we won't get to see that.

Shredder

Juniors
According to the "press"

Brooks is on 500k (remember there was no other interest in him when we re-signed him).
Reynolds is on 650k
and Matulino is on I think it was $400k.
Mbye I think was on 350k from reports.

macnaz

Staff member
Yep doesnt add up at all..Conservative figures- Reynolds is on about 700k Packer 700K Brooks was about 450k from memory and Mautalino on 500K .. so roughly our top 4 = $2.3 milion.
Then look at the Roosters known top 4. Crighton,Cronk and Turdesco on $1m each , Latrene is said to have been upgraded to $0.8m
So $3.8m and still have cap to include Keary a top shelf play maker,Cordner Aus rep and NSW captain ,Maria Hargreaves, Hall,Morris etc etc etc..
The mind boggles :thinking:

Tiger05

First Grade
Yep doesnt add up at all..Conservative figures- Reynolds is on about 700k Packer 700K Brooks was about 450k from memory and Mautalino on 500K .. so roughly our top 4 = $2.3 milion.
Then look at the Roosters known top 4. Crighton,Cronk and Turdesco on $1m each , Latrene is said to have been upgraded to $0.8m
So $3.8m and still have cap to include Keary a top shelf play maker,Cordner Aus rep and NSW captain ,Maria Hargreaves, Hall,Morris etc etc etc..
The mind boggles :thinking:

The Rorters have a different cap to us.

magpie_man

Juniors
My wholly unreliable memory is telling me that Nofa is on near $500k.
The same oracle of factoids is telling me that Brooks was upgraded to ~$600k.

Vic Mackey

Referee
I believe Sironens contract last year was the last we are paying of anyone at another club. When Taylor was coach there was like half a dozen of them. Pascoe has said we will never allow it to happen again, which might be why we’re struggling to offload Packer/Reynolds etc

Magpies Forever

Juniors
Would it be totally against the grain for the NRL and clubs to start putting out ballpark figures, rounded up / down to the nearest $100k of players salary for the length of their contract when new contract is registered with NRL? That would allow gradual realisation of salary usage by clubs.

BrotherJim05

Bench
It's not pretty but it is accounted for more or less

Reynolds, Packer and Mautilino are around the $750k mark give or take. Brooks and E.T are probably around $500k mark. Lawrence, Matterson, Mqueen 300-400k. Everyone else would have to be 100-300k.

So the above 8 players account for approx 4.3 million in Cap Space, the other 21 players account for the other 5 million (remember there is approx 300k penalty from Farah contract), which is an average of $240k per remaining player. Given many of our players are not world beaters, but wouldn't be on minimum contracts, this does make sense.

It is back of the envelope stuff but it gives us an idea of why we have no more money. The glaring issue for Madge is very simple: only 3 of our top 8 paid players are actually playing regular FG
It is absolute insane to think about. Approx. 3 million not even contributing to our success on the field. I fully understand that some of these players mentioned are absolute legends of a bloke, but the bottom line is we need to start making finals, and we are essentially doing with half the salary cap of other teams.

Imagine if we went crazy and spent that 3 million on 3 elite level players? I.e. Munster, Klemmer, L. Mitchell.........

Vic Mackey

Referee
Do representative payments get included in the club cap?

No, and it’s a way certain clubs have used it to their advantage over the years. When you have an Origin coach/selector/advisor associated with a club they can use it as part of negotiations. It’s essntially a way to give a player an extra $30- $90k a year to sign/stay with you

macnaz

Staff member
No, and it’s a way certain clubs have used it to their advantage over the years. When you have an Origin coach/selector/advisor associated with a club they can use it as part of negotiations. It’s essntially a way to give a player an extra $30- $90k a year to sign/stay with you
Spot on ... a underhand 3rd party payment .

macnaz

Staff member
Dylan Walkers selection for State of Origin in 2016 was a classic example...well played Bozo Fulton.

Ps. Its 50k a game Vic , Crighton is just about to notch up an extra $100k come sunday .

The Rosco

Bench
No, and it’s a way certain clubs have used it to their advantage over the years. When you have an Origin coach/selector/advisor associated with a club they can use it as part of negotiations. It’s essentially a way to give a player an extra $30- $90k a year to sign/stay with you
Vic, that's one out of left field.
The only way a club would ever think of something so sly would be if, say, they were to do something really inappropriate and borderline cheating by appointing the ex NRL salary cap supremo as their own salary cap Mr fix-it.
But surely . . . SURELY the NRL wouldn't allow that, would they ? That would be like, say, Easts appointing Russel Fairfax to show them the ways to avoid being caught cheating the salary cap.
And that wouldn't be right.
Greenburg, in his relentless endeavour towards ultimate fairness and transparency, wouldn't allow such a joke to happen.

Latest posts