What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Chernobyl (2019) HBO

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
I was also watching a documentary that life is actually making a comback it’s just incredible what happens when humans just pack up and go elsewhere after 30 or so years nature has taken over, wolves Bilson Horses nature will find a way..one thing I’ve learned from this show geez humans have farked this planet
Yeah I would not be growing food or hunting said animals.

You could use the same evidence to argue that we haven't made a dent. In such a short time nature takes over. There is evidence of this anywhere. How insignificant are we in terms of time and impact?

If we were to depart tomorrow how long would it take for evidence of our existence to be obliterated?
Mate read the book
the World Without Us by Alan Weissman .
Goes into great detail about that scenario .
How long would it take nature to reclaim cities etc
Which species would be dominant ...which wouldn't survive .
It's fascinating .
& somewhere in there he goes into how long before every trace of Human existence is wiped .
Every thing eventually goes back to dust .
Even if it took a few million years that's a speck when you're talking about a planet 4.5 billion years old .
He even speculates how this could be the third or fourth time that there has been a human type dominant species .
Due to an extinction event & a few hundred million years before the next human like species there would be no trace of the previous .
Lol sorry about going off topic I thought this was about the best series I've watched in a long long time .

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
Indeed it will

sk-2017_04_article_main_desktop_2x.jpg

¡Ay, caramba! A three-eyed fish was caught in a reservoir in Argentina,reported Cadena 3, an Argentine news service.

The fishing hole where the mutant fish was caught may be more of a fission hole. The reservoir, named "Chorro de Agua Caliente," receives water from a nuclear plant in the province of Córdoba.

https://www.seeker.com/barts-blinky-three-eyed-fish-raises-nuke-fears-1765488856.html

I was also watching a documentary that life is actually making a comback it’s just incredible what happens when humans just pack up and go elsewhere after 30 or so years nature has taken over, wolves Bilson Horses nature will find a way..one thing I’ve learned from this show geez humans have farked this planet
I watched a documentary about 15 years ago which looked at what affect a nuclear test had on the sea life .
It might have been Bikini Attol ..I'm not sure .but it was 5or10 years after the test
It was one of the attols
They sent a mini sub down .
Jesus Christ ..sea life flourishing .
Fish ..sea creatures plants everywhere .
Would I eat a fish from there ..lol no
But nuclear radiation doesn't seem to halt nature for long

Parra

Referee
Mate read the book
the World Without Us by Alan Weissman .
Goes into great detail about that scenario .
How long would it take nature to reclaim cities etc
Which species would be dominant ...which wouldn't survive .
It's fascinating .
& somewhere in there he goes into how long before every trace of Human existence is wiped .
Every thing eventually goes back to dust .
Even if it took a few million years that's a speck when you're talking about a planet 4.5 billion years old .
He even speculates how this could be the third or fourth time that there has been a human type dominant species .
Due to an extinction event & a few hundred million years before the next human like species there would be no trace of the previous .
Lol sorry about going off topic I thought this was about the best series I've watched in a long long time .

Will do . Sounds interesting.

Parra

Referee
I watched a documentary about 15 years ago which looked at what affect a nuclear test had on the sea life .
It might have been Bikini Attol ..I'm not sure .but it was 5or10 years after the test
It was one of the attols
They sent a mini sub down .
Jesus Christ ..sea life flourishing .
Fish ..sea creatures plants everywhere .
Would I eat a fish from there ..lol no
But nuclear radiation doesn't seem to halt nature for long

Sea life is fantastic - it is a dive site and fishing haven. Around twenty years ago Bikini was opened for recreational diving. You were OK to go there, to enter the water, walk around even eat the fish. Warnings were that you could not eat anything grown in the soil there. I think this was the problem when the original inhabitants were going to return - to make the place safe the topsoil in the whole place would need to be replaced. Apparently plants grow just fine, the soil is contaminated and this means you can't eat anything from there. Disturbing the soil or burning wood wouldn't seem like a good idea either. A few people do live there, everything has to come from outside.

Springs09

Juniors

Well to be fair nuclear power is one of the ways we are trying to unf**k this planet. While the show showed how dangerous it can be, nuclear energy is generally far safer than gas or coal, as well as being better for the environment. Chernobyl has really been the only high-scale nuclear plant disaster, with f**kushima caused by a tsunami. Coal-related deaths and pollution have been far greater.

Generalzod

Immortal
Well to be fair nuclear power is one of the ways we are trying to unf**k this planet. While the show showed how dangerous it can be, nuclear energy is generally far safer than gas or coal, as well as being better for the environment. Chernobyl has really been the only high-scale nuclear plant disaster, with f**kushima caused by a tsunami. Coal-related deaths and pollution have been far greater.
I agree with you just look at the Bhopal gas disaster

Parra

Referee
Yeah brilliant human planning, build a plant on coast line where the name tsunami comes from.

Probably should build one on the San Andreas Faultline...…..oh, wait.

Do you think people should live there at all?

The nuclear accidents got the headlines and the political reactions. The overall damage from the tsunami was devastating https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2011_Tōhoku_earthquake_and_tsunami

If we apply the "brilliant human planning" logic then all of the use of that land has to be considered. 19,000 killed.

Eelectrica

Referee
Finished watching it. I pretty much wait for all episodes to be out then watch over a few nights.

Wow, I got chills down my spine during the final episode. Brilliantly done.
I rewatched the first episode again after and saw a few things in a whole new light.

Last edited: