What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Half the Northern hemisphere seems to be having a year off

adamkungl

Immortal
After an exciting 2018 calendar, the northern hemisphere is severely lacking this year.
Obviously some exceptions, but overall the calendar is barren.

What IS happening (and the missing pieces):
Great Britain tour - some quality matches
but none at home for England, Wales or Ireland.

Euro Qualifiers -
Scotland and Ireland participating with Italy, Russia, Greece, Spain.
Just 2 games will decide their fate - and none of them have scheduled in a single warm-up game, except Ireland Club XIII back in April. How much do they want it?

Turkey v Greece -
A good warm-up in September before the qualifiers. Greece showing more initiative than their supposedly more professional European neighbours...
despite them being effectively banned from playing the sport.

Jamaica v USA - The 2nd test in Jamaica is good news,
but I can't see anything North American in the back half of the year. Late planning maybe?

African Championships - This is awesome tbh

Lebanon v Fiji - Lebanon playing Fiji is good
but imploding off the field is bad

Nation by nation:

England - after some quality performances over NZ and the Knights development squad touring PNG, they've backed it up in 2019 with.... nothing. Goodbye momentum.

Wales - The excitement of qualifying for another World Cup has resulted in a massive calendar of zero games in 2019. That'll bring the fans back.

Ireland -
Scotland -
In separate groups for the Qualifiers, which makes a warm up game against each other a great idea. Naturally, there's not been the slightest hint of this happening.

France - At least the UK teams have the Qualifiers and GB tour. France has lined up a massive series vs nobody for the October-November international period. Fascinating stuff.

Italy -
Spain -
Russia -
Greece -
Please schedule a warm up game or two?

Czechia -
Malta -
Germany -
Netherlands -
Norway -
Serbia -
Ukraine -
The disappointment of missing World Cup qualification has driven these nations to up their game by not playing it this year. Bold move, lets see if it pays off.

USA -
Jamaica -
playing each other once.

Canada -
Maybe next year?

Lebanon -
imploding

---

Maybe I'm being harsh here, but with the Pacific nations pushing forward rapidly its imperative that nations like Wales and France get a team on the park every year.

A 4 Nations with England Knights, France, Wales and Jamaica is so obvious that it pains me to not see it.

Ditto for warm-up games for the qualifiers.

Maybe there will be a late rush but it seems unlikely. It's good that there are regular tournaments coming from next year, but the lack of initiative in between is hugely concerning.

Last edited:

Burns

First Grade
Don’t France have huge issues with Catalan and their own teams not releasing players?

Who funds the Wales team?

The NH is so far behind the Pacific teams, and it will be much worse come the 2021 RLWC.

Springs09

Juniors
It's not harsh. The lack of ambition or motivation and the half-assed measures of the Oceania cup and Lions Tour make me feel like giving up.

adamkungl

Immortal
It's not harsh. The lack of ambition or motivation and the half-assed measures of the Oceania cup and Lions Tour make me feel like giving up.

OC could be better but its still worlds ahead of anything the UK or France will bother with

deluded pom?

Coach
I, and many others, wouldn’t touch a tournament involving England Knights with a barge pole. It screams second rate. Why not just call them England and award full caps?

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
There is no Euro Cup this year because of World Cup Qualifiers and the GB Lions tour, but the Euro cup, shield, etc is booked in every two years from now on inline with the Oceania Cup with England (supposedly) participating.

Burns

First Grade
I, and many others, wouldn’t touch a tournament involving England Knights with a barge pole. It screams second rate. Why not just call them England and award full caps?
Is the problem this year just down the GB Lions? Is that why the home nations etc aren’t playing any Tests?

As an aside, the inability of France to do anything, when it is far and away the most organised nation outside Aus/England will never not crush me.

Springs09

Juniors
OC could be better but its still worlds ahead of anything the UK or France will bother with

This year yes, but it's really no different than the tri-series England, France & Wales played in 2012. The European Cups they usually play are better concepts.

adamkungl

Immortal

Suits me fine, that's the preferred option tbh.

During the Union GBIL tour of 2017, England Scotland Wales and Ireland all played games!

England have the depth. Aim up ffs

deluded pom?

Coach
Is the problem this year just down the GB Lions? Is that why the home nations etc aren’t playing any Tests?

As an aside, the inability of France to do anything, when it is far and away the most organised nation outside Aus/England will never not crush me.
They haven't done much since the 2013 WC semi final to be honest. We haven't been back to London since which is a disgrace seeing as a game there usually results in the best attendance in a series/tournament outside of the final. It's usually the default series against the Kiwis. One which has become stale due to overfamiliarity. I'd love to see Tonga, Fiji or Samoa come over for a post season three game series.