What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tonga v NZ Tickets on sale - Those ticket prices but

Jim from Oz

Juniors
Well they've bitten the bullet.

Bays 36 and 42 in the Eastern Upper have now been made cheaper, with half the Bay now 'Silver' Category and not Gold. That is $20 cheaper for an Adult and allows the Junior and Family categories.

The ends of the Northern stand are now a new 'Green' category.

They've made a mess of this.
So what's new?! :)

Is the RLIF organising this/setting prices?

The NRL?
NZRL ?

Burns

First Grade
Duco Events (they did the Auckland 9’s) are organising this Test and the GB Lion Tours.

I think they’ve really overestimated the value that the NZ public are willing to pay for a match like this. I know we can’t undervalue the product if we intend to give International League a chance to actually make money but maybe not for the first year we play this Test.

Jim from Oz

Juniors
Duco Events (they did the Auckland 9’s) are organising this Test and the GB Lion Tours.

I think they’ve really overestimated the value that the NZ public are willing to pay for a match like this. I know we can’t undervalue the product if we intend to give International League a chance to actually make money but maybe not for the first year we play this Test.
Yep, totally agree

It needs to be built up over a few years so it eventually (hopefully!) becomes "NZ's State of Origin" and tickets sell like hotcakes no matter what … but it has to be built up first !!!

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
As a couple of posters have suggested; NZ, Tonga, Samoa is Origin to those nations. Origin was built on the underdogs (QLD) putting so much pride in their 'origin / heritage' and the jersey that they were able to grow an extra arm and leg when they played in it.

Tonga and (potentially) Samoa provide that same passion and pride and so do their supporters with the colour and the singing. NZ in this scenario is the big brother (NSW if you will). It could be huge if done well and persisted with.

Burns

First Grade
Um.

So additional Bays have been out on sale in the Western stand that showed as previously unavailable.

They are Bay 14 and 11 in the Lower half, and Bay 2 in the Upper. Can buy 20+ seats in all three.

I don’t think they would have sold anywhere near 50% of the venue at this stage.

yakstorm

First Grade
Seats in Bay 14 are all right up the back, you can't get anything in the first 12 rows with all tickets, whether it is 2 or 20 right up the back. I think it's fair to say these are returns from travel providers / partners.

Bay 1, whilst it says when you over over it 'You can select up to 20 tickets', you will be lucky to get more than 3.... Also all seats available are obstructed views.

Bays 3 - 7 coming back on sale are more of a concern, although again the seats are up the back. Possibly for these Bays, as they are up high, they've taken the old ANZ Stadium trick, sell the forward half of the upper bays first, to make it look intimidating and full on TV, to the crowd, etc, then sell behind if there is demand.

Jim from Oz

Juniors
Any updates on the weather forecast?

(As an aside, whether not looking good for Leichhardt on Sat arvo/evening …)

Matua

Bench
Very worrying comment that the NZRL officials are ‘surprised’ by the slow ticket sales.

They note the ticket prices are the same as they were for the Australia match (were they?).

Does not bode well for the GB Lions tour at all.
I wonder if 'Kiwis' fans are staying away and 'Tonga' fans aren't making up the difference as expected?

The Kiwis fans might return when the old enemy GB are here.

adamkungl

Immortal
This game should have been played last year tbh, before or after the England tour.
Another failure to take advantage of opportunities.

Burns

First Grade
I wonder if 'Kiwis' fans are staying away and 'Tonga' fans aren't making up the difference as expected?

The Kiwis fans might return when the old enemy GB are here.
Given only 12,000 came out against Australia, I think that shows the willingness of Kiwi fans.

Are the Warriors doing much promotion? Should give their members cheap tickets.

adamkungl

Immortal
They should do a flash sale and some giveaways through businesses, local clubs, radio promos.

Everyone always sooks about late ticket discounts but that's the nature of selling things, respond to supply and demand.
Early buyers get a guaranteed spot, if you wait for a discounted ticket you may risk missing out completely.

Burns

First Grade
Makes you start to wonder how the Eden Park triple header will go at the end of the year

Matua

Bench
They should do a flash sale and some giveaways through businesses, local clubs, radio promos.

Everyone always sooks about late ticket discounts but that's the nature of selling things, respond to supply and demand.
Early buyers get a guaranteed spot, if you wait for a discounted ticket you may risk missing out completely.
I once got tickets for an All Blacks v Wallabies match and paid full price and then on the day a mate of mine got his ticket half price. It annoyed me so much that I now don't ever buy tickets early, I wait until the day of the game to decide whether to go or not and get tickets then, and if I miss out so be it - I have a tv.

Quite clearly I can hold a grudge!

adamkungl

Immortal
I once got tickets for an All Blacks v Wallabies match and paid full price and then on the day a mate of mine got his ticket half price. It annoyed me so much that I now don't ever buy tickets early, I wait until the day of the game to decide whether to go or not and get tickets then, and if I miss out so be it - I have a tv.

Quite clearly I can hold a grudge!

Nothing really has a fixed price though.
You buy a TV tomorrow, they'll straight up tell you its as low as they can go and in a month it'll be on special.
Airline tickets have flash sales or get jacked up as they see fit.

The promoters goal is to sell as many tickets as possible. Some people getting annoyed about discounts might encourage them to hold off, but a sell-out crowd also creates an impression of high demand. So its a bit of a fine line.

shinobi

Juniors
Unfortunately Kiwi supporters are bandwagon fans. We love the all blacks because they are winners, and bag out the Warriors and Kiwis because they don't dominate league.

Springs09

Juniors
Unfortunately Kiwi supporters are bandwagon fans. We love the all blacks because they are winners, and bag out the Warriors and Kiwis because they don't dominate league.

True. Several Kiwis that have come over to play footy for us follow QLD more than the NZ team. Still follow the All Blacks though.

Burns

First Grade
Well

With 24 hours to go until kick off, we have well and truly fallen short of a sell out. This should have been the easiest match ever to sell out.

The NZRL should seek some pretty strong feedback from Duco Events for how they have failed to deliver a stronger return from this match. Would also be seeking some reassurance that the GB Lions tour won’t be a complete disaster. How do they intent to sell out Hamilton, Eden Park and Christchurch?

Hopefully tomorrow can get above 20,000.

Usain Bolt

Bench
I can just tell by the number of Tongan flags on cars and houses the support isn’t there this time. 2017 you saw flags on every 4th or 5th car driving through Mangere and Otahuhu and now you see it every 25/30 cars. Be interesting to see the walk up crowd, weather is forecast for cloud but no rain

Latest posts