What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Kiwis v Tonga

Matua

Bench
The Kiwi 1-6-7-9 are superior, but they need their forwards to aim up hard. The Kiwi pack is big, tough and experienced, no weak points there, but Tonga have the best 2 forwards in the game with Taumololo and Taukeiaho.
Yeah, I think the Kiwi pack is being slightly underrated leading into this game - I mean Jesse Bromwich is so good they select his little brother just to keep him happy (that has to be the reason right?).

Basically the Kiwis need to be the Kangaroos in a Kiwi v Roos match. Absorb the big pack in the middle and then cut them up on the edges.

Burns

First Grade
Kinda feel like Tonga need to win otherwise their momentum might start to fade.

Loss against England was a pretty convincing loss until they did the miracle comeback in 2017 WC. They beat a pretty eh Samoa last year, and failed to fire against Australia in Auckland.

If they get lapped by New Zealand, what odds the same happens against Australia and Great Britain later in the year?

adamkungl

Immortal
Kinda feel like Tonga need to win otherwise their momentum might start to fade.

Loss against England was a pretty convincing loss until they did the miracle comeback in 2017 WC. They beat a pretty eh Samoa last year, and failed to fire against Australia in Auckland.

If they get lapped by New Zealand, what odds the same happens against Australia and Great Britain later in the year?

I think an NZ win fires up the rivalry a bit more.
The Kiwi public need a bit of confidence in their team, need to know that they can still win big games even after the defection saga.

Burns

First Grade
I think an NZ win fires up the rivalry a bit more.
The Kiwi public need a bit of confidence in their team, need to know that they can still win big games even after the defection saga.
Hmm.

Guess it needs to be “Origin” like - close games with big hits and amazing tries.

Pls don’t be a blow out.

Matua

Bench
Hmm.

Guess it needs to be “Origin” like - close games with big hits and amazing tries.

Pls don’t be a blow out.
I want it to be a huge blow out - to the Kiwis of course. I want ever Kiwis game to be like that.

Clarkent

Juniors
It's irrelevant why a player does it, I don't care who they play for as it's their choice and their reasons, but the fact is we could have been exposing a committed Kiwi to the team last year and instead we gave valuable experience to an opponent.
He's father just got diagnosed with cancer 2 months ago and he hasn't got long to go... And his dream was always to see he's son play for Samoa I think that's a pretty good reason to go and play for Samoa... And Isaako said he's not ruling out a return to the kiwi Jersey he's just doing this for his dad before he's time comes up... Relax man

Matua

Bench
He's father just got diagnosed with cancer 2 months ago and he hasn't got long to go... And his dream was always to see he's son play for Samoa I think that's a pretty good reason to go and play for Samoa... And Isaako said he's not ruling out a return to the kiwi Jersey he's just doing this for his dad before he's time comes up... Relax man
Did you read my post, I don't have an issue with the reason he wants to play for Samoa.

Why should I relax when I think we've got fundamental issues with a system that allows players to change teams on the eve of a world cup?

adamkungl

Immortal
I'm hesitant to drag the conversation back to eligibility discussions as I am in favour of the current rule, but I think they could make some changes to make it less messy.

Keep the rule that allows switching between t1 and t2, and leave the nations in current tiers for the forseeable future.
BUT
1. Remove swapping between tier 2 nations. There's no need for this. While the multiculturalism of the sport should be celebrated, it stretches legitimacy too far to have players representing 3 (or more) nations.
2. Players should declare their preferred eligiblity 4 weeks before the first test match is played in a year, and not allowed to swap mid-year. Eg. "1. Tonga, 2. New Zealand". This information should be publicly visible, selectors and fans should be absolutely clear who is available, and defections shouldn't happen during OR AFTER squads have been chosen. Pretty ridiculous situation.

shinobi

Juniors
He's getting alot of hate on fb but I have no problem at all with what he said... If that's what he believes in good on him kiwis needs more players like him passionate for the Jersey... Benji is another that would give anything for that kiwi jersey

Benji and Isaac Luke should have always been around the Kiwis squad as they have always showed passion and commitment for the black jersey.

Matua

Bench
He's getting alot of hate on fb but I have no problem at all with what he said... If that's what he believes in good on him kiwis needs more players like him passionate for the Jersey... Benji is another that would give anything for that kiwi jersey
Why is he getting hate on FB? For saying he's going to stay playing for his country? :rolleyes:

shinobi

Juniors
Why is he getting hate on FB? For saying he's going to stay playing for his country? :rolleyes:

Same reason James Tamou, Quade Cooper get hate from Maori. its coming mainly from aussie and kiwi Samoans. We just love to hate on our own.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
To my knowledge the following can play for other nations;

Samoa - Asofa-Solomona, RTS, Ah Mau, Liu, Maumalo, Papali'i (Taupau and Isaako have defected already)
Cook Islands - Rapana, Tetevano, Marsters, Manu
Tonga - Paasi (DWZ is also eligible for Tonga but he won't defect)
Ireland - Luke

Wow! that is quite a Samoan side if they were to assemble at full (eiligibility) strength. I wonder if SBW will finish his career in league. I remember him saying once that he would be happy to represent Samoa too.

Matua

Bench
I would love to see SBW play for Samoa and Folau for Tonga at the next RLWC.
I would prefer SBW to play for the Kiwis (if he was up to it) but would support him playing for Samoa.

If the loon religious bigot was selected for Tonga they'd go from a team that annoys me due to the defections to one I dislike as much as the kangaroos.

Matua

Bench
Same reason James Tamou, Quade Cooper get hate from Maori. its coming mainly from aussie and kiwi Samoans. We just love to hate on our own.
I don't think those two examples are really the same TBH.

Cooper doesn't get hate because he plays for Oz, but because he had cheap shots at McCaw back when he was the god of NZ rugby. Tamou deserves hit because he played for the Maori, talked up being a NZer, was with the Kiwis and then ditched to play origin.

Clarkent

Juniors
I would prefer SBW to play for the Kiwis (if he was up to it) but would support him playing for Samoa.

If the loon religious bigot was selected for Tonga they'd go from a team that annoys me due to the defections to one I dislike as much as the kangaroos.
Honestly if it wasn't for origin most of those players wouldn't be playing for the kangaroos like kalyn ponga, Josh Papalii and the other kiwi players that used to play origin