What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Players refusing to sing the National anthem in protest

Belmore Dude

Juniors
The media love the racist banter, keeps someone in a job at the end of the day.

I miss the days when it was just about the footy, the worst headlines were about shit ref calls and dirty players.

If Tahu thinks that good on him. WGAF!!
You’re spot on my young friend

AJB1102

First Grade

Sounds like the answer is "all of it"

Wow! What an angry, racist, divisive merkin he is.

If I littered this post with half as many "but blacks think/do/are/say" as he did in that vid with "but whites ..." my post would probably get the hook.

I'm not gonna pick apart his entire routine, obviously if I broke it down word by word I could attribute any random bullshit to it and be rightly "offended" even though I'm just nitpicking shit outta context.

But the word "free" being offensive because a lot of Indigenous people are incarcerated in the NT? Even if it meant 'free' as in "not locked up" the majority of us are not in jail and I don't think the anthem plays any part in whether people commit crimes.

"OUR home before it was girt by YOU lot!" - C'mon, that shit is progressing nothing. I fully acknowledge that Indigenous Australians were murdered, displaced and treated abhorrently by previous generations. I accept the anthem and Oz Day don't sit right with some and am open to change. But that is "us vs them" language which gets us nowhere good.

Briggs would be f**ked without racial tension. He makes his money rapping about being the underdog and convincing others they are too, to follow his little tilt at fame.

Valheru

Coach
I don't even remember Latrell saying he wouldn't sing. It was walker and JAC, one of which is still in the team.

carcharias

Immortal
Wtf? Sorry to offend you.
I’ll see you at the Sharkcast Annual Party, I’ll apologise in person. I honestly didn’t think I’d offend anyone with my truthful comment

I wasn’t going to respond but I will.

Your comment was a thinly disguised racist dig at indigenous people.
You basically said they are drunks.
You will deny this... but I think most level headed people will see the comment for what it was.

The indigenous community does have a massive issue with alcohol.
So what
So does the white community.

The indigenous community is doing a lot to try to stop it.
A lot of young people are becoming educated and are making incredible efforts to make sure they change the pattern.
I’ll also add the indigenous community is the only community in Australia who have entire area’s that are alcohol free.
They abide by their own law and are quite happy to exist without alcohol.

It would be an unimaginably tough life growing up in poverty and as an aboriginal with little or virtually no future.
They are born with every single thing stacked against them.
I have seen with my own eyes the absolute desperate conditions a lot of them live in.
I’m white , privileged and it disgusts me the way they have been let down.
They actually need as much help as they can get.

So making shitty smart arse comments online about them is IMO pretty f**king low.

Belmore Dude

Juniors

You will deny this... but I think most level headed people will see the comment for what it was.

So what

A lot of young people are becoming educated and are making incredible efforts to make sure they change the pattern.
I’ll also add the indigenous community is the only community in Australia who have entire area’s that are alcohol free.

It would be an unimaginably tough life growing up in poverty and as an aboriginal with little or virtually no future.
I have seen with my own eyes the absolute desperate conditions a lot of them live in.

So making shitty smart arse comments online about them is IMO pretty f**king low.
That is not what I was implying at all??

unforgiven

Bench

So what

I disagree with a lot that you say on this site related to football and we have had a few run ins in the past but I must say I am genuinely impressed with every one of your posts on this topic. You come across as knowledgeable, passionate and compassionate about this issue. I really commend you for your stance in this thread. I guess it really shows when petty footy disagreements are put aside its interesting to see who you are on common ground with when an important issue is discussed!

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Wow! What an angry, racist, divisive merkin he is.

If I littered this post with half as many "but blacks think/do/are/say" as he did in that vid with "but whites ..." my post would probably get the hook.

I'm not gonna pick apart his entire routine, obviously if I broke it down word by word I could attribute any random bullshit to it and be rightly "offended" even though I'm just nitpicking shit outta context.

But the word "free" being offensive because a lot of Indigenous people are incarcerated in the NT? Even if it meant 'free' as in "not locked up" the majority of us are not in jail and I don't think the anthem plays any part in whether people commit crimes.

"OUR home before it was girt by YOU lot!" - C'mon, that shit is progressing nothing. I fully acknowledge that Indigenous Australians were murdered, displaced and treated abhorrently by previous generations. I accept the anthem and Oz Day don't sit right with some and am open to change. But that is "us vs them" language which gets us nowhere good.

Briggs would be f**ked without racial tension. He makes his money rapping about being the underdog and convincing others they are too, to follow his little tilt at fame.

I'll refer you to @carcharias post a couple above mine - he's explained it far better than anyone else can.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Wrong again. I stated my OPINION of what “young and free” means (frankly I don’t think much about the words nor meaning of the anthem but that’s what common sense tells me it means) and I stated my OPINION of their stance. Did I say, they shouldn’t or mustn’t think that way? I agree they’re entitled to disagree with it or find offense etc, but i’m entitled to call bs on it.

I haven’t attempted to dictate whether or not people are offended. You’re confusing opining and criticising with dictating.
You did put forward your opinion, but before it, you said this:
“Young and free” isn’t offensive, it’s just a phrase the critics have used as meaning something I really doubt it does.
It couldn't be more clear. You have stated it isn't offensive and dismissed critics.

firechild

First Grade
People who say that indigenous people should just get on with life or similar should research inter generational or trans-generational trauma.
Absolutely agree. It's a deep dark hole many indigenous people find themselves in. Unfortunately, because it affects whole communities and there is such resentment of white people, they're not in a position to help each other out of it. There are plenty of indigenous people who break free of it and are in a position to do good things for themselves and their people, that number is continually growing. On the flip side, so many, like Briggs and Mundine, use their success to perpetuate the animosity between indigenous people and white people which impacts young kids and pushes them deeper into that hole. They ultimately care more about getting back at white people than they do about bettering themselves and their people.

Mr Spock!

Referee
Fair meant white

Advance Australia was used as a white supremacist meme

eg

aaf-690.jpg

white-australia-march-2.jpg

this ditty from 1910

"White Australia March Australia, the white man's land, Defended by the white man's guns.

Australia, Australia, For Anglo-Saxon race and South'n Cross. God bless and help us to protect Our glorious land Australia."

Last verse of Advance Australia Fair echoes the same sentiment

"Should foreign foe e'er sight our coast,
Or dare a foot to land,
We'll rouse to arms like sires of yore,
To guard our native strand;
Britannia then shall surely know,
Though oceans roll between,
Her sons in fair Australia's land
Still keep their courage green.
In joyful strains then let us sing
Advance Australia fair."

Members of the Australian Native Association (a whites only organisation) were Australian PM Deakin, Barton and State Premiers and Governors

Vee

First Grade
https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/state-of-origin/tahu-faces-nswrl-axe-over-controversial-anthem-claim/news-story/b5d33a3619937f9d0071e7233d05c73b

Former Blues star Timana Tahu faces NSWRL axe over controversial anthem claim

Former NSW star Timana Tahu will reportedly be sacked from his role with the Blues Pathways Program over ‘misguided’ claims Cody Walker and Latrell Mitchell’s State of Origin anthem boycott contributed to their dumping for game two.

NSW Rugby League chief executive David Trodden told The Daily Telegraph the comments were “on a completely different page from us”, and that it was likely Tahu would never work with the organisation again.

Tahu had questioned the reasons behind dropping Walker and Mitchell in a column for NITV.

“I’m not sure it’s purely (Brad Fittler’s) call,” Tahu wrote.

“I feel like Freddy’s (Fittler) had pressure on him from the top.

“Even though there are selectors, the politics come into it and I feel like some old boys might have come in and shared their two cents with the coach.

“Did it cost some of them their positions in the team? I think yes and no.”

But NSWRL boss David Trodden slammed those remarks, saying “That’s a pretty appalling comment to make.”

“I’ve read the comments which were attributed to him and if they’re accurately attributed to him, he needs to have a serious think about what he said,’’ Trodden told The Daily Telegraph.

“Freddy is an honourable man who would never let things like that get in the way of decisions that he makes on selections.

“If he seriously thinks that an honourable person like Freddy (coach Brad Fittler) or anybody else in the NSW Rugby League would have paid any attention to the anthem issue in selecting the team, then he should be seriously embarrassed that he thinks that way.”

“The absurdity of what he says is really demonstrated by the fact that Cody Walker and Latrell Mitchell weren’t the only two in the NSW team who didn’t sing the national anthem.”

NSW made seven changes to their squad, including bringing in two indigenous stars in Blake Ferguson and Wade Graham.

Other NSW players such as Josh Addo-Carr didn’t sing the anthem but retained their jerseys.

Tahu last month had been invited by NSW Rugby League to assist in a NSW future Blues program alongside former Blues players Brett Jodgson and Matt Cooper.

But Trodden said Tahu was likely to have no future with the organisation.

“If he genuinely believes that’s the way the NSWRL treat people then he’s on a completely different page from us and you wonder how someone who is on a completely different page can satisfactorily contribute to your organisation.’’

Latest posts