What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Players refusing to sing the National anthem in protest

grouch

First Grade
Advance Australia is also the name of the new conservative lobby group which pushes right wing causes, funded by rich old white dudes. So yeah, there's that.

Fair meant white

Advance Australia was used as a white supremacist meme

eg

aaf-690.jpg

white-australia-march-2.jpg

this ditty from 1910

"White Australia March Australia, the white man's land, Defended by the white man's guns.

Australia, Australia, For Anglo-Saxon race and South'n Cross. God bless and help us to protect Our glorious land Australia."

Last verse of Advance Australia Fair echoes the same sentiment

"Should foreign foe e'er sight our coast,
Or dare a foot to land,
We'll rouse to arms like sires of yore,
To guard our native strand;
Britannia then shall surely know,
Though oceans roll between,
Her sons in fair Australia's land
Still keep their courage green.
In joyful strains then let us sing
Advance Australia fair."

Members of the Australian Native Association (a whites only organisation) were Australian PM Deakin, Barton and State Premiers and Governors
Yeah I remember when Mundine was talking shit and pulled this out.
In all fairness if nothing else you can see the argument not only for indigenous but other immigrants who aren't white or "fair".
I think the truth is no one really knows or gives a shit what the words mean or where it come from.

Surely

Post Whore
So when Kev said fair suck of the silver wand he really meant white suck of the silver wand ?

Frailty

First Grade
Absolutely agree. It's a deep dark hole many indigenous people find themselves in. Unfortunately, because it affects whole communities and there is such resentment of white people, they're not in a position to help each other out of it. There are plenty of indigenous people who break free of it and are in a position to do good things for themselves and their people, that number is continually growing. On the flip side, so many, like Briggs and Mundine, use their success to perpetuate the animosity between indigenous people and white people which impacts young kids and pushes them deeper into that hole. They ultimately care more about getting back at white people than they do about bettering themselves and their people.

I'm intrigued by this, because if you ever see interviews with Briggs or his regular appearances on The Weekly, he is actually very much on unity and provides a provocative, confronting, and humour-laced look at racial discrimination in the country.

carcharias

Immortal
I'm intrigued by this, because if you ever see interviews with Briggs or his regular appearances on The Weekly, he is actually very much on unity and provides a provocative, confronting, and humour-laced look at racial discrimination in the country.

I was thinking the same thing.
I find him pretty funny.

Vee

First Grade
Is he the same bloke that does stand-up, "looks like he sneezed in a tacklebox"?

Xcalibre

Juniors
I wasn’t going to respond but I will.

Your comment was a thinly disguised racist dig at indigenous people.
You basically said they are drunks.
You will deny this... but I think most level headed people will see the comment for what it was.

The indigenous community does have a massive issue with alcohol.
So what
So does the white community.

The indigenous community is doing a lot to try to stop it.
A lot of young people are becoming educated and are making incredible efforts to make sure they change the pattern.
I’ll also add the indigenous community is the only community in Australia who have entire area’s that are alcohol free.
They abide by their own law and are quite happy to exist without alcohol.

It would be an unimaginably tough life growing up in poverty and as an aboriginal with little or virtually no future.
They are born with every single thing stacked against them.
I have seen with my own eyes the absolute desperate conditions a lot of them live in.
I’m white , privileged and it disgusts me the way they have been let down.
They actually need as much help as they can get.

So making shitty smart arse comments online about them is IMO pretty f**king low.

I don’t know the specific details and numbers of alcoholics in indigenous communities etc, but they are also the only community to have police officers at bottle-o’s to stop them from buying alcohol. The first time I went to NT a couple of years ago, seeing this shocked me. Maybe that’s white oppression or the government trying to save them from harm? Isn’t it a fact that because alcohol has only been available since colonisation, it is more intoxicating to aborigines?

They are also the only community I know of, that have special fuel to combat petrol-sniffing.

I like a lot about indigenous culture and beliefs, but let’s not ignore some hard truths.

You did put forward your opinion, but before it, you said this:

It couldn't be more clear. You have stated it isn't offensive and dismissed critics.

Umm ok, but where have I “dictated” as you claimed? You know an opinion is not fact right? I’ve only stated my opinion. Did I say the anthem is factually inoffensive? Clearly not. For the third time, all I've done was state my opinion on meaning of words to me, and other peoples’ meaning to said words. I can’t believe I have to explain this.

This is not what I did/meant, but...

I get the argument that people can’t impose their idea of what is and isn’t offensive to someone, but we need to draw the line somewhere too. Not talking about this issue per se, but in general. Otherwise we’d be a very sanitized world.

carcharias

Immortal
I don’t know the specific details and numbers of alcoholics in indigenous communities etc, but they are also the only community to have police officers at bottle-o’s to stop them from buying alcohol. The first time I went to NT a couple of years ago, seeing this shocked me. Maybe that’s white oppression or the government trying to save them from harm? Isn’t it a fact that because alcohol has only been available since colonisation, it is more intoxicating to aborigines?

They are also the only community I know of, that have special fuel to combat petrol-sniffing.

I like a lot about indigenous culture and beliefs, but let’s not ignore some hard truths.

Yep
Petrol is called opal.

Not sure what the circumstances were for the cops stopping them buying alcohol.

I have seen that in the Daley River.
There was a massive riot in the Nauiya community one day.
Some family thing.
The elders told the pub not to sell to the locals for a week.
They had to get security to turn people away.
I actually had a long chat with a fella from the community that was trying to negotiate all this shit.
He didn’t drink .
It’s really sad.
I think helping the next generations is the way to go.
Arnhem Land is grog free for the most part.
They can buy mid strength beer
1 carton per fortnight was the limit when I was last there.
To be honest it is so expensive and hard to get they just don’t bother.
There is no Dan Murphy’s in Maningrida.

Anyway
Saturday night on NITV 8.40
Ten Canoes.
Filmed in Ramingining.
Brilliant film
Funny
Amazing scenery

Watch it
I’ve sat down with Philip Gudthaykuthay or
( one of his nicknames ) Mr pussycat.
I was In Ramingining where he is from.
I watched him paint all afternoon.
He is a full blood elder...gamarrang from Liyagalwumir people.
I had a sharks hat on.
He knew of Paul Gallen.
Ha

He plays the scorcerer in the movie.

typicalfan

Coach
I get the argument that people can’t impose their idea of what is and isn’t offensive to someone, but we need to draw the line somewhere too. Not talking about this issue per se, but in general. Otherwise we’d be a very sanitized world.
So where do we draw the line? And if you aren't talking about this issue per se, are you saying we shouldn't draw the line here? Would resolving this anthem issue cause us to live in an over sanitised world? Would even make a difference regarding sanitisation?

All the issues mentioned regarding the some areas of the aboriginal community should not make the issue any less important.

Xcalibre

Juniors
Yep
Petrol is called opal.

Some family thing.
I actually had a long chat with a fella from the community that was trying to negotiate all this shit.
He didn’t drink .
It’s really sad.

Anyway
Ten Canoes.
Filmed in Ramingining.
Brilliant film
Funny
Amazing scenery

Watch it
I had a sharks hat on.
He knew of Paul Gallen.
Ha

In Katherine, I bought some booze from a liquor store and there was a cop stationed there. Perhaps it was implemented by local indigenous. I don’t know but I also saw an issue when I went to buy a case in Alice.

Cool story. I’ve wanted to watch Ten Canoes ever since I heard about it. Thanks for the heads up. I’m a big fan of indigenous art and their Dreamtime stories and the way they respect the land.

Education and creating opportunities are big factors imo. A lot of these places are so remote with few amenities. It makes it hard.

Would resolving this anthem issue cause us to live in an over sanitised world? Would even make a difference regarding sanitisation?
To be honest I think changing the national anthem would change very little for the Indigenous community.

Not many Indigenous people:

- High net wealth individuals;
- Are a Justice of the High Court of Australia;
- High-ranking public servants;
- A Chancellor of a Group of Eight university;
- Admirals, Generals, or Marshals in the Australian Defence Force;
- CEO of an ASX listed company; or
- On the Board of the Reserve Bank of Australia?

Whether you like it or not, this is a white man's country - changing the words to a song sung before bread and circuses isn't going to do much.

Belmore Dude

Juniors
Yep
Petrol is called opal.

Some family thing.
He didn’t drink .
It’s really sad.

Anyway
Ten Canoes.
Filmed in Ramingining.
Brilliant film
Funny
Amazing scenery

Watch it
I had a sharks hat on.
He knew of Paul Gallen.
Ha

So you’re saying indigenous or white folk don’t bring any of this sort stuff on themselves at all?

Xcalibre

Juniors
So where do we draw the line? And if you aren't talking about this issue per se, are you saying we shouldn't draw the line here? Would resolving this anthem issue cause us to live in an over sanitised world? Would even make a difference regarding sanitisation?

All the issues mentioned regarding the some areas of the aboriginal community should not make the issue any less important.

Well, that has to be up to the government and the current laws around vilification are pretty close to ideal.

No and no to your next questions. Around 15 years ago, and at other times too, there was a big push by some towards a republic and changing the anthem and flag was mentioned a lot. So it’s not just indigenous people that think that. Edit: Not very long ago it was God Save the Queen.

It doesn’t worry me tbh. I’d be happy for it to be a mad didgeridoo instrumental, or song with different lyrics.

The anthem issue is irrelevant to sanitizing. I was more referring to not being able to openly discuss topics for fear of upsetting someone.

I’d be curious to ask the people in the remote communities if they give a shit about the anthem, or if their main concern is the safety and well-being of their people.

Latest posts