What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

Glenneel

Bench
True.

But I think it's about showing respect to our code's greatest ever players.

Peter Sterling is definitely up there with the greatest half backs of all time.

Was he the best all-round halfback? Probably not.

But as a complete player, he was simply phenomenal, and I think he is deserving of the title.

Not to mention his contribution to the game as an analyst, announcer, and columnist.

Peter Sterling is an absolute ornament to the game of rugby league - let's get him that title of next Immortal, because he actually deserves it more than most.
Unfortunately the selection panel have seemed to have gone past the era when Sterlo and Kenny played, except when they went into the bowels of history and picked another 4 immortals. Need to revisit the 80s again imo.

Gronk

Staff member
There were 4 guys in the Parra team of the 80s that should be considered as immortals, Kenny, Sterling, Price and Cronin. The heart and soul of Parra.

Not sure how Andrew Johns or Bozo are more special that Sterling Kenny Ella Cornin Grothe.

Joey was picked as origin Hooker behind Toovey at least 5 times and was benched behind Kimmorley (7) and Toovey (9) twice. As good as he was, he was a patchy player. IIRC at the Stadium we arranged the game ball for him on his last game ever or some other mega milestone and he stood us up bc Newcastle lost. Left our officials looks like shags on a rock at full time. Merkin.

Bozo and Mal got picked bc of ARL politics IMO. Great players, but not ahead of some merkins who have missed out.

Don't get me started on the News Ltd myth Daily M(irror) I mean Dally M(essenger). Very sus about the provenance of that story.

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
On the immortal thing, I'm worried that they will start to add too many merkins to the list and it will lose its currency. An immortal should he the absolute best of the best, a once in a generation player.

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
Not sure how Andrew Johns or Bozo are more special that Sterling Kenny Ella Cornin Grothe.

Joey was picked as origin Hooker behind Toovey at least 5 times and was benched behind Kimmorley (7) and Toovey (9) twice. As good as he was, he was a patchy player.

Bozo and Mal got picked bc of ARL politics IMO. Great players, but not ahead of some merkins who have missed out.

Don't get me started on the News Ltd myth Daily M(irror) I mean Dally M(essenger). Very sus about the provenance of that story.
Sounds like you are a 6 on Dally M as well as Jesus.

Incorrect

Coach
On the immortal thing, I'm worried that they will start to add too many merkins to the list and it will lose its currency. An immortal should he the absolute best of the best, a once in a generation player.
Agreed. And I can already see the day coming where they will anoint Slater, Cronk and Smith together... Just you wait and see.... Hell, they might even throw Bellamy in as well.....

84 Baby

Referee
Agreed. And I can already see the day coming where they will anoint Slater, Cronk and Smith together... Just you wait and see.... Hell, they might even throw Bellamy in as well.....
Don’t forget GI and the prize money he’ll receive that just happens to match his forgone playing salary

hineyrulz

Post Whore
I think Lockyer qualifies ... he controlled games as well as anyone
The same Locky that was about to be dropped in 2006??? He was a great player without a doubt but I class him on the same level as Freddy. Just below that immortal level. The more merkins they stick in the cheaper the concept becomes. Mal shouldn’t have gotten in either. It’s hilarious when people mention Johns shouldn’t be in for a few pills are the same people who wanted someone like Mal in. Great weights programme at Brisbane Souths in the 80’s.........

T.S Quint

Coach

And their feats need to have stood the rest of time. People need to be talking about how great a player was in 20-30 years time, without their achievements being diminished.
No one should be admitted to the club until at least 20 years after they’ve retired, IMO.