What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Keeping the Faith

Matua

Bench
Cheers for that link, been watching a bit at work.

Interesting to see them talk about flair being the Warriors brand. Not anymore going by the lack of scoring on Saturday!

Iafeta

Referee
Really interesting. I do get frustrated thinking how good this could’ve been with a few different decisions. For example, not fielding that illegal sub and making the finals. If theoretically we win a game or two in the finals, given the size of the crowds we were already getting, could we have become a Brisbane or Newcastle with perennial support, with massive numbers through the gate? Would Kiwi stars be absolutely wanting to represent the jersey?

Interesting looking back at how good Frank Botica was as well. Imagine if he hadn’t have had that sickening injury versus the Reds?

Souffs and now Canberra are building outstanding teams with British forwards. We tried that too. And we had two British legends in Platt and Betts. Why didn’t it turn out the same way for us?

That Tainui Consultant had such a punchable face too. I forgot about him. The whole Tainui thing was a farce. And hells bells didn’t Super League do us over.

I notice they didn’t talk about Platts Bulldogs and Wikis coaster contract lol

Imagine if JK had been at the top of his game from the get go. He had such a massive legacy that he could’ve drawn in a new core group of fans.

They didn’t show the reserve grade team. But that 1995 and 1996 squad was full of dudes who had been on Kiwis tours. Man there were some great players.

That joke of playing for other teams to fly here was a typical NRL stitch up of the Warriors. It’s reminiscent of the carve ups referees often give us.

Joe Vagana scratching off Peter Brocks name lol

And Steve Kearney. Loved the hydration story. You can absolute see his level of professionalism and why people high up feel he’s a good leader. It’s such a pity he’s a poor coach because genuinely you can see why he’s a great role model to follow.

Loved seeing Brandy talking up Tony Tatupu too. He was one of my favourites. So much skill and agility.

And poor old Ridgey going from a stable of Ferrari’s with a great coach to a rudderless steaming pile ... my Christ the club shattered apart at the seams alarmingly quickly after year one

Blair

Coach
...Imagine if JK had been at the top of his game from the get go. He had such a massive

That joke of playing for other teams to fly here was a typical NRL stitch up of the Warriors. It’s reminiscent of the carve ups referees often give us...

I've been watching episode one, what colour, joy and deflation.

In regard to Kirwan, he'd be hitting the ball up if he was around today. What a waste of a talented winger.

Also, re the flights above. All four new teams in 1995 - NZ, South Qld, Nth Qld and WA involved flying teams in and out, and vice versa. Perth was the furthest away. Did they all have to foot the bill themselves, or was it just the Warriors?

And where was Hitro?

WellsNZ

Juniors
Damn that early 2000s lot was a good team. Watching those clips of them just physically dominating the opposition was awesome, and yet depressing at the same time when you think of the last five years.

Awen talking about doing three full tilt tackle sessions a week stopping guys like Paleaaesina full pelt sounds like a horrible way to spend your week, but they were tough blokes and did it. The impact of Campion being there with his championship experience and demeanour was obvious and is something we simply don't have now or even close to it. When they were talking about his expectations, 50 press ups if you drop a ball at training type stuff, instead we have Adam 30 metres I admit we aren't hard enough Blair as the forward" leader, well we know how that goes.

The bit about if you're a forward and you aren't suspended at least once in the season you aren't doing your job was gold.

It seemed clear that demands were much bigger and more aggressive back then. Getting that pressure of make the f**king eight, stripped back no bullshit just f**king do it, I wonder how that goes now.

Iafeta

Referee
Was another good watch

I can still never fathom how Anderson thought the fake commentary idea at halftime of the grand final was a good one lol

Listened to Kevin Campion on a podcast. He wanted to throw the tape recorder to the ground. He then apparently told the players to not listen to that nonsense

Meth

Staff member
Was another good watch

I can still never fathom how Anderson thought the fake commentary idea at halftime of the grand final was a good one lol

Yeah. I suppose if they won, he'd be labeled an innovator and a genius. But he sure screwed the biggest moment of his coaching career up there.

Yeah. I suppose if they won, he'd be labeled an innovator and a genius. But he sure screwed the biggest moment of his coaching career up there.

Anderson gave it a shot and thought it would motivate the boys. The younger kiwi warriors were all big dreamers so he thought he could get them up on it. It was shit move in hindsight and fell out with the older players, Daniel often gets highlighted for that big blunder rather how he got us to our maiden grand final. How he tapped into the boys mentality to play good football and truly believe. I miss that directness he had (Though some times he will go OTT with our more sensitive kiwi brothers). He would often tell players they are better, bigger, faster, more skillful and they buy into that even when they were totally outclassed by their opposition.

I'd have him back here. I still think he has unfinished business with his coaching career despite the scandal he got caught up in.

Last edited:

Iafeta

Referee
I don’t think it’s so much that he played a tape recording. It is what the recording was of. Firstly, it was v the Broncos even though they were placing Easts. Secondly, it was evidently a looney move that had offloads and flick passes etc. The point Kevin Campion made on the podcast is what had got them there in the last month in particular was sheer hard grind and execution. Not spectacular thrills and spills. Yes of course there was an element of that at times, but it was a pack that was very good at controlling the ruck.

axl rose

Bench
Was another good watch

That was..odd. I'd forgotten how close they were to winning that GF. Just an unlucky bounce there on the try line. Would have went on with it id say.

Rocket's tache

Juniors
The first 2 editions made for engrossing viewing. Is it possible for someone to post the 3rd episode PLEASE so that English fans can view it ? Or is there somewhere else it can be viewed ?
Many thanks in advance.

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
It shouldn’t be too far away, it aired last Thursday here

I saw it last night, last ep seemed a bit rushed and probably should have been split into 2 so they could cover a bit more. The Sonny Fai bit was pretty emotional