What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Latrell (officially signs with Souths 13/1/20)

According to NRL360 tonight Latrell Mitchell will be offered an $11 million dollar over 10 years deal by the Canterbury Bankstown Bulldogs.

He won't take it because Belmore is a dump and Nick Politis will probably offer him $12 milllion.

Last edited:

MKCS

Juniors
In regards to Latrell being demoted from the Origin team nobody here knows the real story. It could've been an attitude problem (likely), it could've been due to performance. If it was strictly a drop based on performance I disagree with it because Latrell wasn't the worst on field and even if he was all players have bad games. Chambers wasn't that great in last years series but they never dropped him and they picked him again this year where he's doing much better.

In regards to Latrell going to the Dogs. I'm not surprised an offer like that has come his way but I think when Cronk leaves the majority of that cap space will be moved over to Latrell. I'd say he will likely get around the same amount Inglis was getting at Souths (800-900k a year?) and become the highest paid centre in the league. Politis will argue that this is in Latrell's best interest because at the end of that contract the league will have more cap room and wages for players will go up. The norm for a star player in 2023-2024 might very well be 1.3-1.4 million a year. Latrell would be stuck at the Dogs on a bargain price if that happened.

I feel bad for the fella. Going through some personal shit and now professional shit also. Hope he comes good.

BLN2

Juniors
If that rumoured contract offer is true, he'd be silly to turn it down. For a hot and cold young star centre, to be getting Lolo/Thurston/Smith money is crazy. Dogs will have the cash to splash for 2021. But I wouldn't put him up as a guy to build a club around TBH.

I'm unsure how they are even allowed to offer him anything until November, unless he's been given permission to talk to other clubs (doubt it).

McNulty

Juniors
If that rumoured contract offer is true, he'd be silly to turn it down. For a hot and cold young star centre, to be getting Lolo/Thurston/Smith money is crazy. Dogs will have the cash to splash for 2021. But I wouldn't put him up as a guy to build a club around TBH.

I'm unsure how they are even allowed to offer him anything until November, unless he's been given permission to talk to other clubs (doubt it).

Disagree. Signing a player like Latrell will lead to better odd of bringing in classing halves and other backs.

Would you rather give quality ball to Latrell Mitchell or Marcelo Montoya? Also, considering Hoppa is on 850k, upgrading to Latrell for a little more is no big deal.

Travitoh

First Grade

The general theme of Latrell's contract talks that I've read is it's agents trying to sign Latrell for themselves, so probably a grey area in anti-tampering rules

BLN2

Juniors
Disagree. Signing a player like Latrell will lead to better odd of bringing in classing halves and other backs.

Would you rather give quality ball to Latrell Mitchell or Marcelo Montoya? Also, considering Hoppa is on 850k, upgrading to Latrell for a little more is no big deal.

No one is arguing about the Bulldogs rubbish use of the cap, it's clear for everyone to see. This would be another display of that.

Montoya is lucky to be on 1.5/10 of this proposed deal, so hardly a fair comparison.

dogslife

Coach
Latrell Mitchell is going to be a star of the game for the next 10 years, of course he is worth every cent of that proposed deal

Unless of course it's made up or he doesn't sign with us, then its a stupid idea, no centre is worth that kind of money, I'm glad we missed out on him.

That is how you hedge your bets LU.

I'll be here all week.

JamesRustle

First Grade
According to NRL360 tonight Latrell Mitchell will be offered an $11 million dollar over 10 years deal by the Canterbury Bankstown Bulldogs.

He won't take it because Belmore is a dump and Nick Politis will probably offer him $12 milllion.
Bulldogs also chasing Freddy to replace Pay.

Saxon

Bench
...it could've been due to performance. If it was strictly a drop based on performance I disagree with it because Latrell wasn't the worst on field

I'd be interested to know who you think was worse.
In any case, I don't believe it was the performance so much as the effort (or rather lack thereof). He made no attempt to get involved and looked about as interested as Ian Roberts in the Pink Pussycat Strip Club.

Chambers wasn't that great in last years series but they never dropped him and they picked him again this year where he's doing much better.

Two differences here;
1. Queensland don't eat their own after one loss.
2. While I think Chambers is way over-rated (and personally wouldn't feed him) you can never question his effort, only the execution and the occasional massive brain fade.

AJB1102

First Grade
Two differences here;
1. Queensland don't eat their own after one loss.
2. While I think Chambers is way over-rated (and personally wouldn't feed him) you can never question his effort, only the execution and the occasional massive brain fade.

Don't forget his 12m grubbers from 20m out, or 20m grubbers from 12m out.

thorson1987

Coach
And not passing when he has an unmarked player inside.

giphy.gif

ram raid

Bench
In regards to Latrell being demoted from the Origin team nobody here knows the real story. It could've been an attitude problem (likely), it could've been due to performance. If it was strictly a drop based on performance I disagree with it because Latrell wasn't the worst on field and even if he was all players have bad games. .

I read this this morning, it's hard to argue with. It shows all the off the ball stuff where he is clearly not putting in.

https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/06/20/the-seven-moments-that-cost-latrell-mitchell-his-nsw-jersey/

Latrel seems to me to be in the G.I./ Hayne mould --- has a Lazy, day-dreaming streak.
Freddy is trying to create an 'I'll die for this jersey' culture in NSW and Latrel is being made an example of.

I don't agree with it, but I can see the reasoning. .

Latest posts