What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Non Footy Chat Thread II

Gronk

Staff member
To the defence of those good Christians, the most you see on social media or the news are the outspoken hypocrites and yeah there is quite a lot of them. But there are also many of those who don't make a song and dance, they quietly go about their business and actually do good. You probably work with such people without knowing it.
I think you are referring to normal people. Yes I work with quite a few normal fair minded people.

Atheists won't know about these people and what they do if they don't associate with such people.
Sorry I'm shaking my head at this comment. Atheists don't live in a bubble and do live in society with equal awareness to those of faith.

I was at my local gym this morning working out with a gay couple, we spoke about God and religion and it was an easy conversation, no ill will, no awkwardness or judgement. It's not hard but in anything, if we want to find the bad we will and society simply wants to find the bad now. You share a good news story online it barely gets noticed, but post something where someone does something wrong, we're all suddenly righteous judges.
Good news stories by people of faith get plenty of publicity however are sadly few and far between.

From an agnostic POV, what turns kids away from the church is the heartless cold hypocrisy they see through their young eyes. If the the church displayed the kindness and compassion of Father Rod Bower, Rev Ted Noffs, Mother Theresa, the Dalai Lama and most modern Rabbis your faith would have far greater support. This is reinforced by the likes of Morrison, Dutton, Abbott, the churches behind the institutional rape of children etc who perform in life under guise of men of faith, yet have displayed utter disregard and contempt to their own kind.

Snoochies

First Grade
I think you are referring to normal people. Yes I work with quite a few normal fair minded people.

Sorry I'm shaking my head at this comment. Atheists don't live in a bubble and do live in society with equal awareness to those of faith.

Good news stories by people of faith get plenty of publicity however are sadly few and far between.

From an agnostic POV, what turns kids away from the church is the heartless cold hypocrisy they see through their young eyes. If the the church displayed the kindness and compassion of Father Rod Bower, Rev Ted Noffs, Mother Theresa, the Dalai Lama and most modern Rabbis your faith would have far greater support. This is reinforced by the likes of Morrison, Dutton, Abbott, the churches behind the institutional rape of children etc who perform in life under guise of men of faith, yet have displayed utter disregard and contempt to their own kind.

That's what I'm getting at, you as an agnostic spend how many days of your life in a Church? A lot of what the Church does will not be promoted on the front page news or make it to your news feed unless you actively follow such things, so it seems your view of the Church is from what you see in the media. I don't disagree with you on the like of the politicians you have listed but I'm sure if you decided to step inside a local Church and be objective in learning what they do for the greater community you may be surprised. You can't know this though by trying to look inside by standing outside.

I was a hardcore atheist and very anti theistic, I hated God, Christians and anything to do with religion.

You'd find you very much would agree with Jesus in regards to religious hypocrisy, go and read Matthew 23 and I think you'll find you have more in common with him than you think. I agree with you on hypocrisy, it stinks but on the flipside, their are many who walk the faith quietly and humbly as well.

Gronk

Staff member
That's what I'm getting at, you as an agnostic spend how many days of your life in a Church? A lot of what the Church does will not be promoted on the front page news or make it to your news feed unless you actively follow such things, so it seems your view of the Church is from what you see in the media. I don't disagree with you on the like of the politicians you have listed but I'm sure if you decided to step inside a local Church and be objective in learning what they do for the greater community you may be surprised. You can't know this though by trying to look inside by standing outside.

I was a hardcore atheist and very anti theistic, I hated God, Christians and anything to do with religion.

You'd find you very much would agree with Jesus in regards to religious hypocrisy, go and read Matthew 23 and I think you'll find you have more in common with him than you think. I agree with you on hypocrisy, it stinks but on the flipside, their are many who walk the faith quietly and humbly as well.

Well with all due respect, those who do walk the faith quietly and humbly would be well advised to find your voices chase out the wolves in sheeps clothing that pollute your good name.

Gronk

Staff member
That's why I'm here ;)

Good. And I will stand behind you in the fight against the merkins.

D9ijSAMUcAI5HDf.jpg:large

strider

Post Whore
This is the bit I don't understand.

He is free to say what he likes.

The issue is that his terms of employment have specific conditions in relation to use of social media. If he breaches those it's a breach of contract.

Its no different to most people's employment contracts. If I was using my real name and being an absolute dickface on social media and it got back to my employer, I would expect to be reprimanded and/or sacked.

Izzy is a disingenuous merkin and his fanboys can get f**ked.
But would an employer sack u for stating "religious beliefs" .... at the end of the day it comes back to if what he said is so bad it should cost him his job

Gronk

Staff member
I reckon he'll get the money he's chasing. He ought to thank Foxsports for promoting it every 10 minutes.

He's got nearly $250,000 now. Approx 2,500 punters have pledged an average of $100. He'll need to find a total of 30,000 merkins if he is going to reach his goal.

All the same, it's not a bad result already. Who'd of thunk that so many people would donate to a millionaire.

200w.webp

Snoochies

First Grade
Wonder where we might be if RA just simply came out and said that RA do not agree or endorse the views of Israel.

People would be upset for a bit and we'd probably have forgotten about it by now. The whole purpose of sacking him was to avoid a fallout to which it already is now.

Gronk

Staff member
Wonder where we might be if RA just simply came out and said that RA do not agree or endorse the views of Israel.

People would be upset for a bit and we'd probably have forgotten about it by now. The whole purpose of sacking him was to avoid a fallout to which it already is now.

Actually the whole point of his sacking was to reinforce the sport's values.

RAELENE CASTLE’S LETTER TO THE PLAYERS

“Dear Team Wallaby,

It has not been an easy week for us all in Rugby but it is a week that has reminded us that Rugby is an inclusive game and that it is – and needs to continue to be – a game for all. That has been an overwhelming message from so many people since we took action to deal with a breach of contract.

I want to again reinforce that message that our game is a game for all. I know that many of you have been put in a challenging situation over the past week. You have been asked to comment on a friend and a team-mate and that is a difficult situation – a situation none of us wanted to see happen and all of us hoped would not happen again.

The actions taken this week were taken because of a breach of commitment to team and code that was broken. I want to reassure you that we support the right of all players to hold personal beliefs. But we must uphold those values that are core to our game and to the Wallabies, including respect and team-work.

I understand that for many of our players of Faith this week has been a particularly challenging week and that some have felt unsure or challenged by the media and social media requests to comment on team-mates and what has happened. I am really proud of the leadership of those players who have asked me to explain the reasons behind our action and to reassure them of their right to belief.

I want to assure you all that I am proud of the diverse range of religions and belief systems within the Wallabies and the way players are able to present their views in a positive way. Rugby supports you and your right to belief. Nothing that has happened this week changes that.

When we talk about inclusiveness and talk about Rugby as an inclusive game, we mean that Rugby respects differences.

Respecting differences was a key point made by many of those players and officials who spoke out this week. Those messages of respect for differences were not always emphasized in the media coverage but it is important to note they were raised again and again as a key part of the success of the Wallabies and a key part of the success of Rugby as a sport in this country.

It is important that all people of different views, religions, beliefs and backgrounds feel safe and supported in coming together in the team environment and know that they are respected for who they are and what they believe.

It is not an easy time in Rugby and – as I said the other day – I would prefer that we had not been put in this situation.

I am intensely proud of our Wallabies and very grateful for the thoughts from all who have made contact. I am also very happy to chat to you individually if you have any specific concerns.

Congrats to the Reds for their win and all the best for the rest of the games today.

Raelene’’

https://www.theaustralian.com.au/sp...s/news-story/ddc42dca475f191be96a3a6e240d3358

Happy MEel

First Grade
This whole Folau saga has absolutely nothing to do with people’s liberties being taken away from them.

Where was the moral “freedom of speech” outrage in support of Anthony Mundine when he made those deplorable comments after 9/11?

What about when Yassmin Abdul-Magied made these disrespectful comments:
“Anzac Day: LEST. WE. FORGET. (Manus, Nauru, Syria, Palestine”?

The fact of the matter is, merkins care about freedom of speech, as long as they agree with the words contained in that speech. Unfortunately, as is case with Folau’s comments, there are plenty of merkins who likely agree with them (whether publically or intrinsically).

I wonder how many people who have donated to Israel’s cause voted “No”???