What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

strider

Post Whore
Yep. Also teams are so reluctant to give up possession these days. Possession is more important than field position.
I find it weird watching old games where the team practically just gives up possession in their own half and no one really bats an eyelid ...... its f**kin crazy man!!! Makes my head explode! :eek:

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
Hi running game was shot. Unless he would make 40+ tackles he wasn't a contributor.
I'd say his running game was shot by 24/25 tbh. Age 21 till 25 he was dynamic
What are you on about? He always made a shitload of tackles. Pretty hard to have a running game when you do that much defence. A selfless team man.

Glenneel

Bench

Glenneel

Bench
This kid can play. Bit injury prone. Pur backline is going to be potent.
Where does Salmon or Parry see future now?
If Mennings is re-signed it will be for only 1 year imo and they'll have to fill in during injury. Parry can also play wing so a fill in for injury again. If good enough 1 will end up with a permanent spot at centre but probably not next year.

Glenneel

Bench
Because under the 5 metre rule, ground was hard to make. It was near impossible to get out of your own end so kicking was the best option.

Nowadays, sides are making 50 - 60 metres per set just by running.
Think the duels were in the unlimited tackle days. Keith Barnes v whoever.

T.S Quint

Coach
I find it weird watching old games where the team practically just gives up possession in their own half and no one really bats an eyelid ...... its f**kin crazy man!!! Makes my head explode! :eek:

I just don’t understand it in Union. They have unlimited tackles. Why give up the ball when you can just keep tucking it up the field for the whole game?

I know it’s not that easy, but I don’t give a f**k. Union sucks.

Eelementary

Post Whore
shame you never got to see the Mayor play mate,

it was a different game back then and KT was ahead of his time, no one ever saw a fullback control a game like he did back then

and then there was the kicking duels, something you just don't see any more

I wish I was around to watch him play - by all reports, he was the "original" Jarryd Hayne.

Eelementary

Post Whore
What was Mini better at than Slater?

Returning the ball.

Defending.

Slater is probably a better overall player because of his consistency; once Minichiello suffered a few back issues, he was a shadow of his former self.

But at his peak few years, he was insanely good. And he had a ridiculously high work rate, in terms of playing so many games.

I think we forgot how bloody good The Count actually was.

Last edited:

Noise

Coach
Slater was so good at returning the ball from kicks teams started kicking it dead so he couldn’t and they ended up changing the rule (7 tackle set) because of it.