What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mbye

Shredder

Juniors
The question is whats the other option?

How many coaches are available that have won premierships, turned teams around and actually have a winning record?

I mean our team is shit and we all know that - Jesus Christ himself couldnt turn this rabble around.....

If he asks for an extension I would give it to him.

Magpies Forever

Juniors

How many coaches are available that have won premierships, turned teams around and actually have a winning record?

I mean our team is shit and we all know that - Jesus Christ himself couldnt turn this rabble around.....

I would give McGuire an extension right now of a further year or even two. Why?

a/ talk of player clique and we should always back coach over players- no matter who.

b/ at present McGuire's contract ends end of 2021 season and we are saying he be judged on his success. But, how can he really be judged when the team has long term signing issues that have both limited the $$$ available to sign better players and are such numbers and key positions to make his ability to do anything meaningful in terms of changing style pretty limited. Exhibit 1 my lord,,,,

McGuire contract ends end of 2021. As does Reynolds (c$750k p.a), Packer (c$700k p.a), Nofoaloma (c$350k p.a)

End of 2020 - Ben Matulino (c$700k p.a), Chris McQueen (c$300 p.a)

Edit- forgot to include Moses Mbye end of 2022 ($???)

If we give McGuire at least 1 more year after 2021 he has the chance to show progress if we cant earlier move on these time bombs signed by Cleary.

Last edited:

Tiger05

First Grade
MagpiesForever - good post.

I think Madge is facing the issues at the club and he deserves a chance. Cleary was good in one way. He handled us getting royally screwed over reasonably well. The problem is that he has also screwed us over royally.

I'm happy with Maguire at the club for the moment and maybe for a while longer.

Tigerm

First Grade

Agree, we need stability with a decent coach given a chance to turn this around. All the good teams seem to have this happening.

WA Tiger

Bench
He’s a hard man to get rid of ...No but seriously That was too close ..If he wasn’t in camp he would have been in trouble. Nice photo of his family in I think the SMH

Leigh Howlett

Juniors
I would give McGuire an extension right now of a further year or even two. Why?

a/ talk of player clique and we should always back coach over players- no matter who.

b/ at present McGuire's contract ends end of 2021 season and we are saying he be judged on his success. But, how can he really be judged when the team has long term signing issues that have both limited the $$$ available to sign better players and are such numbers and key positions to make his ability to do anything meaningful in terms of changing style pretty limited. Exhibit 1 my lord,,,,

McGuire contract ends end of 2021. As does Reynolds (c$750k p.a), Packer (c$700k p.a), Nofoaloma (c$350k p.a)

End of 2020 - Ben Matulino (c$700k p.a), Chris McQueen (c$300 p.a)

Edit- forgot to include Moses Mbye end of 2022 ($???)

If we give McGuire at least 1 more year after 2021 he has the chance to show progress if we cant earlier move on these time bombs signed by Cleary.

'Maguire' is the Coach of the Wests Tigers!, McGuire is the grub who plays for the Canetoads!.

soc123_au

Staff member
Just saw on 360 that Moses has asked for a release. Feels it's not got for the club to have a marquee signing on the bench doing f**k all. Seems like he is doing the honourable thing the way it's being spun.

BrotherJim05

Bench
Just saw on 360 that Moses has asked for a release. Feels it's not got for the club to have a marquee signing on the bench doing f**k all. Seems like he is doing the honourable thing the way it's being spun.

Yeah good on him for being honest. If it was my career I'd make up some bullshit about the club that was causing me not to play to my potential and try and get a similar contract at another club. By being honest he has shot himself in the foot with getting similar money at another club.

Either way though - good on him. I genuinely hope another club pays his full contract and he kills it there.

Very professional handling of the situation by Mbye. I suspect that if he wants out he has received a good length contract on good money to request a release.

No aversions to him going as we certainly have not got value for money. Going to have some good coin available again next year.

It doesn’t surprise me Mbye is being honourable in this situation.
Forget about him the footballer, as a man he is one of the most decent characters in the game.

Exactly, regardless of his football ability he has always spoke well and comes across as decent ,respectful and honest person.
Initially he went alright when he first came to the club, then his performances seemed to drop off ,360 reported that he was misdiagnosed with a knee injury last season, pressured to play by the club ,then a MRI scan at the end of the season found up to 15 bone fragments floating in his knee. How that was misdiagnosed is a concerning matter by itself.
Hopefully he is physically fit again and things turn around for him this season and beyond, but more than likely it’s sounding like that it will be at another club.