What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

joe lovodua ..........

SBD82

Coach
I didn't waste my time watching but I'm guessing it was another one sided joke exhibition game from a couple of international teams that any NRL team would flog on a bad day?
Wasted weekend of footy, rugby league is only and should only be a club game.
I think it’s a shame that you have such a negative attitude toward this weekend’s games. There was admittedly some ordinary footy, but there was also some very very good stuff. The contact in the Samoa PNG game was outstanding, and based on NZ’s game I’d rate their best team to beat the Kangaroos best team.

I love the rep games. Especially when you’re a fan of a club that’s struggling, it gives you a chance to support sides in another competition.

Crush

Coach
I think it’s a shame that you have such a negative attitude toward this weekend’s games. There was admittedly some ordinary footy, but there was also some very very good stuff. The contact in the Samoa PNG game was outstanding, and based on NZ’s game I’d rate their best team to beat the Kangaroos best team.

I love the rep games. Especially when you’re a fan of a club that’s struggling, it gives you a chance to support sides in another competition.
I would rather watch eels vs bulldogs than a rep game. I just see NRL as a club game only. I feel something when the dragons play win or lose. In fact most NRL games I feel something whether it be positive or negative.
With Internationals and Origin I feel zero. I actually often will go for the opposition against Kangaroos because of my dislike for certain rival club players such as Cameron Smith, Gallen etc.
Other true international sports for me is a different story. Its win at all costs and I support the Aussies always. Cricket, Rugby, Soccer I would never cheer on the opposition.
Rugby League for me is a game I enjoy at club level and I'm comfortable with that. Why do we need to expand the game? Why do we need the Micky Mouse international games?
I can handle the odd international after the season in November for a bit of light entertainment but thats about it, this weekend is just a disruption to the regular NRL season for me.

grouch

First Grade

Don't feed the troll

TruSaint

Referee
I didn't waste my time watching but I'm guessing it was another one sided joke exhibition game from a couple of international teams that any NRL team would flog on a bad day?
Wasted weekend of footy, rugby league is only and should only be a club game.

Crush,

Mate can i ask, will you watch SOO tonight ?

Not being a smartass here, but 43% of NRL players today are from the Pacific islands. I think it means more to them than most would imagine, and whilst SOO is the so called pinnacle of our game, its only a matter of time until these events become a spectacle annually.

Rather than focus on risky investments in the random games in the USA / China, we should be engaging these nations and making these events even better.

grouch

First Grade
Anyway... these international teams need to play more, not less. The football itself will obviously improve as a result (ridiculous to expect a team playing once a year is going to produce slick perfect play), and even if you are an insular myopic "club is king" whiner it's going to only benefit you too - international growth widens the scope of recruitable players and increases their exposure to elite top level football.

My 2 cents: Pause the nrl season in the middle of the year. The season is too long and the games suck at this time. Play 3 Origins, 3 women's origins, and a Pacific tournament of Test matches.

Reactions: jak

Crush

Coach
Crush,

Mate can i ask, will you watch SOO tonight ?

Not being a smartass here, but 43% of NRL players today are from the Pacific islands. I think it means more to them than most would imagine, and whilst SOO is the so called pinnacle of our game, its only a matter of time until these events become a spectacle annually.

Rather than focus on risky investments in the random games in the USA / China, we should be engaging these nations and making these events even better.
Hey Tru, I'll watch the Origin tonight purely because its a Sunday night with nothing else on. If I had to work or had plans I definitely wouldn't be taping the origin like I would a club game.
I don't care who wins at all.

TruSaint

Referee
Hey Tru, I'll watch the Origin tonight purely because its a Sunday night with nothing else on. If I had to work or had plans I definitely wouldn't be taping the origin like I would a club game.
I don't care who wins at all.

Mate, Im not a huge fan of SOO either tbh.
I will watch it more so to see how our lads go.

Always looking out for how they perform.

I was just making the point that in my opinion, RL's future is at our doorstep, with the nations that played. Thats in terms of international growth... Of course, priority will always be the comp, as it should be.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
No doubt a healthy rugby league requires a World Cup that is a genuine competition, not just a round robin tournament to see who plays Australia in the final..

But.. for the games this weekend to be truly about building the game, they should have been played OS..

Let the local fans see their heroes live, bring the spectacle to the people..

This is how you grow grass roots in these countries.. TV ratings are the same if you can get them on at a primeish time back in Aus.. But the crowds and atmosphere are amped up..

Imagine how big the Lebanon v Fiji game would have been if it was played in Suva..

And Samoa v PNG would have been a cracker in either country..

But no.. Instead we get a handful of people drinking beer at Liechhardt..

Overseas dragon

Juniors
No doubt a healthy rugby league requires a World Cup that is a genuine competition, not just a round robin tournament to see who plays Australia in the final..

But.. for the games this weekend to be truly about building the game, they should have been played OS..

This is how you grow grass roots in these countries.. TV ratings are the same if you can get them on at a primeish time back in Aus.. But the crowds and atmosphere are amped up..

Imagine how big the Lebanon v Fiji game would have been if it was played in Suva..

what's going on you make sense wonders will never cease

TruSaint

Referee
what's going on you make sense wonders will never cease

@muzby does raise a good point, you are correct.
It all comes down to logistics, viewing times, stadia, etc.. but the passion of the RL fans in the region is infectious.

We take it for granted seeing our players week in week out.

To the kids in PNG / Tonga / Fiji etc, its a real experience.
Massive opp for the NRL imho.

Reactions: jak

Crush

Coach

Does the rugby league need a world cup though?
AFL supporters seem quite happy just supporting their club teams.

grouch

First Grade
AFL would kill for even a tiny fraction of the international presence rugby league has. The dumbest of several dumb posts

Crush

Coach
AFL would kill for even a tiny fraction of the international presence rugby league has. The dumbest of several dumb posts
You get pretty sensitive about this topic don't you grouchy boy?
What happened to not feeding the troll?
Couldn't help yourself hey.