What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Favourite moment not involving your team.

Cattle dog at the MCG in 1997

Wayne Chisholm tackling the ref in the early 90s (maybe?)

Saturday afternoon watching a game at north Sydney oval

Pretty much every origin from 1990-1994

Phil Blake chip and chase

Old school games in the mud

The game in the snow in Canberra

Parramatta and Dragon losing at magic round 2019

anjado

Juniors
It's difficult to narrow it down to just one.

The Norths vs Manly rivalry throughout the '90s all of these games felt huge at the time and they drew big gates and were fierce rivals throughout the decade and featured some classic games. It's a huge shame we lost that.

Brett Mullins 4 tries against Newcastle genuinely one of the greatest performances of all time.

St George having the black Porsche's on the wing, It's rare that a team makes two grand finals yet are less fondly remembered than a team which finished 9th.

The opening round in 1995 having four new teams in the competition and all of the new team's games being televised it was genuinely exciting at the time.

1992 World Sevens everyone picked their strongest line up and it was the first to involve teams from overseas.

Illawarra and Souths both winning the Tooheys challenge.

Brisbane vs Wigan WCC games at a time when it truly was a game between the two best teams in the world we were robbed of Canberra vs Wigan though which would have been the best WCC game of all time.

Warriors team of 2001-03 genuinely the most exciting team I have seen play the game.

Warriors performance against the Bulldogs in the 03 semi-finals they absolutely battered them and produced a 20-minute spell of attacking Rugby League that I have yet to see bettered by any team.

The next week the Warriors vs Raiders was another classic game.

In fact, the entire 2003 season was absolutely amazing I support Penrith so it might not be in the spirit of the thread.

But in 2003 every team had their own unique style of play.

Penrith - Big forwards who would make great yardage, quality ball players and amazing broken field runners like Wesser and Campbell which meant they could attack from anywhere.

Roosters - Led by Adrian Morley they had the most ferocious defence since the Dogs of War in the 80's they were awesome constantly sprinting up and applying enormous pressure on the opposition defence. They attacked with their defence and if you made a mistake The backline was filled with speed and they had quality playmakers in Fittler and Wing who would punish you.

Canterbury - Great forward pack and a very good back line, their uniqueness came through Brent Sherwin's brilliant short kicking game which meant they could constantly apply pressure through either gaining repeat sets or banana kicks or kicks to the wing or other clever short kicks which constantly put the opposition under pressure.

Canberra - Hard as nails forward pack, excellent back 3 and a team which utilized dummy half running unlike any team I have seen especially when Woolford and Drew were playing but others would come in also and scoot from dummy-half it was a really interesting way of playing the game.

Melbourne - Craig Bellamy's first season in charge so you know what their style of play was going to morph into the highly structured football virtually every team since has tried to copy with little variation or success. This was the genesis of his style of football this season he sowed the seeds for the great Melbourne teams we have seen since. Smith established himself in the hooking role replacing Richard Swain who seemed to be an incredibly difficult player to replace at the time. Seven players debuted for the Storm that season and six of them Slater, Hoffman, Johnson, Kaufusi, Webster and King all went on to become internationals.

Warriors - Amazing when they got going could basically offload the ball whenever they felt like it which was a complete rocks and diamonds way of playing but when it came together and everything stuck they were genuinely unstoppable easily the most entertaining team to watch of the past 20 years at their best and the most frustrating at their worst.

Newcastle - Still the Joey Johns show but they still had the bulk of their 2001 premiership winning side and were very good.

Brisbane - Their halves didn't work out but they deployed similar tactics to their 2000 side but it worked less well when it was Scott Minto and not Wendall Sailor.

Parramatta - Typical Brian Smith coached team they started badly also had a half back with an excellent short kicking game in Michael Witt.

St George Illawarra - An incredibly stacked team full of rep players and were the darlings of the media at the time. Injuries hurt them a lot but they also could match any team on their day.

North Queensland - The first good Cowboys team with an excellent back 3 in Bowen, Sing and Williams a genuinely exciting team to watch you could see they were going to improve over the next couple of seasons.

Cronulla - Chris Anderson's last stand as a coach so they played with his tactics built around Kimmorley and a very flat attack they no longer worked.

Wests Tigers - Started the season in atrocious shape but by the end of the season Farah, Fulton, Gibbs, Halatau, Heighington as well as Marshall had all debuted and they played some amazing football once Marshall came into the team which was a sign of things to come.

Manly - A bad season but they were genuinely entertaining Scott Donald scored 21 tries that season and averaged 23 points per game, the Stewart brothers debuted and Watmough and King established themselves in first grade the likes of Chad Randall and Luke Dorn also looked quite promising at the time.

Souths - Yeah a terrible season but at least they were back in the comp.

Each week you had genuine classic games and each team was interesting to watch. It was a fantastic season if you used a movie or professional wrestling star system to rate matches then 2003 would have more 5 star matches than any other in my opinion.

Luke Dorn's Pirouetting cut out pass against Brisbane in 2003. Genuinely one of the best passes I've ever seen.

Ruben Wiki knocking out Chad Robinson with a hit in 2003 it would probably get a suspension now but it was brutal because it looked like he didn't hit him that hard yet he crumpled in a heap it was an awesome display of power.

Warriors vs Broncos in 2003 which was so brutal the first half lasted an hour due to the ferociousness of the defence's leaving both teams needing constant treatment.

Francis Meli on a one-man mission to murder Brent Tate for some reason.

Tigers being awesome in 2005 such a fun team to cheer for especially over the Dragons in the semi-final.

Chris Sandow going for shoulder charges either missing them getting run over the top of or putting on an inspirational play.

Any successful chip and chase play.

Roosters vs Souths games involving the last second tries.

Hayne vs Marshall in 2009 which felt like a big deal and the press actually built the hype and sold the game well for a change.

Parramatta's run in 2009 was enormously exciting at the time.

Dufty's try against the Roosters a few weeks ago.

It involves my team but Penrith scoring a try from the kick-off against Cronulla in 2000 is something which has been forgotten in the mists of time.

Lower Grade Grand Final's there were some classics over the years I have nothing against Women's Rugby League and am happy they are making an effort to start a competition but removing the under 20's game from Grand Final day ruined the day for me.

DaveMc

Juniors
The opening round in 1995 having four new teams in the competition and all of the new team's games being televised it was genuinely exciting at the time.

Damn, that takes me back. That was such an exciting weekend, it really felt like the game was pushing through to a new phase. It still saddens me how everything fell apart over basically the course of that season.

Hunt’s drop ball in 2015 GF

Inglis pat-back above and beyond dead ball line for Gasnier to score in 08 test

Albert’s 97 GF winner try

Blocker Roach and Eddie Ward head pat 90

Broadhurst/Bowden 81 semi punch up (I got the T shirt)

73 grand final

juro

Bench
The happiest day of my life was three Sundays ago. I was sitting on my daddy's knee when the Saints, who were four-and-a-half point favorites, but only up by three, kicked a meaningless field goal at the last second to cover the spread.

THE CHAMP

First Grade
The happiest day of my life was three Sundays ago. I was sitting on my daddy's knee when the Saints, who were four-and-a-half point favorites, but only up by three, kicked a meaningless field goal at the last second to cover the spread.

Good lord.
Anyway I do enjoy watching the storm put the cleaners through a side that’s not mine. I think the 70-10 thrashing of the dragons in 2000 is right up there mainly because the dragons never put the cue in the rack. The storm earned every point. In pissing rain to boot.

Goddard decking Johns is still one of my faves
So is the finish of that 2010 final..Braiths FG..amazing game

But my all time fave is the end of the 2000 prelim
Knights v Roosters
Leading 16-2 at HT...Johns got over confident .
Darren Albert kissed a television camera after scoring from a set play on the stroke of half-time, and Johns hooted and hollered running up the Sydney Football Stadium tunnel into the dressing-rooms, wishing injured Roosters lock Luke Ricketson all the best for Mad Monday.

Full time .hes throwing his mouth guard ....nearly crying
I could watch that over & over

parrawentyfan

Juniors
Lots of great moments already in there. Loved seeing Rabbitohs, Cowboys and Sharks break their droughts.

In terms of regular season matches - the Titans v Storm game last year in Brisbane was a great see-sawing contest. Awesome game and nice to see the perennial struggling Titans get the win.

Tonga vs England at the WC was huge too.

King hit

Coach
Good lord.
Anyway I do enjoy watching the storm put the cleaners through a side that’s not mine. I think the 70-10 thrashing of the dragons in 2000 is right up there mainly because the dragons never put the cue in the rack. The storm earned every point. In pissing rain to boot.

And they made Mundine look like the moron he is

This Year?

Immortal
7 minutes of madness in the WC semi in 2017 with what would have been the biggest upset in rugby league history had the Fifita try been given.

2014, 2015 and 2016 grand final drought breakers.

40-0 Grand final 2008.

Last edited:

TheFrog

Coach
This game even the St George supporters where going home early lol
They didn't learn. The following game they stayed in the next paddock doing warm ups while Trent Waterhouse ripped them a new one, 24 points in under 20 minutes. Of course they came back with 2 tries before halftime (one from a forward pass) and as the second half went on it seemed like they could put it to bed whenever they wanted, but a Preston Campbell intercept and a Gower field goal kept them at bay, 31-30. This was the 4 vs 5 match, and the Dragons under the McIntyre system were eliminated from 5th.

(Sorry it involved my team but just adding further info to the previous post about a cracking team with a slight fault).

Lambretta

First Grade
The 1999 Grand Final
Awarding a penalty try against the cough drop and seeing the man Mundine lose the un-loseable.

The Sharks finally winning in 2016

NZ defeating Australia in the World Cup Final

James Graham and David Klemmer absolutely losing their shit at the refs one Easter

Bill Harrigan sending off Gordon Tallis in Origin

Billy Slaters chip and chase try in Origin

Far too many to mention

typicalfan

Coach
Whoever it was that choked in 2017 so we could finish 8th and make a gf run.
Bulldogs 26-20 over Dragons. Fantastic. I have never thanked Mary. I am pretty sure thats the game when Widdop answered unemotionally that it was a learning experience to completely butcher a finals spot.