What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nathan Cleary

Pomoz

Bench
I’ve been saying this for weeks, Cleary gets Zero credit for a lot of clever things he does.

Luckily Freddy watches footy games and doesn’t concern himself with stats.
I think the coaches get a whole lot more stats than we ever see. I saw a Brian Smith article where he knew how many 2nd tackles a player did versus first tackles and how many passes were made in each zone of the field. He was able to identify the teams who were moving the ball around the most and what teams were doing static one up hits, by looking at the stats.

We get none of that information. Who dives on loose balls? Whose tackles force errors? How many clearing kicks hit the ground and the average time for the fullback to get the ball. How many bombs lead to errors by the opposition catcher? There is so much information that can be recorded but isn't shown to us and it would give us much better insights into the game and explain why a player like Cleary may be better than we think he is. Or worse for that matter!

OldPanther

Coach
I’ve been saying this for weeks, Cleary gets Zero credit for a lot of clever things he does.

I think the coaches get a whole lot more stats than we ever see. I saw a Brian Smith article where he knew how many 2nd tackles a player did versus first tackles and how many passes were made in each zone of the field. He was able to identify the teams who were moving the ball around the most and what teams were doing static one up hits, by looking at the stats.

We get none of that information. Who dives on loose balls? Whose tackles force errors? How many clearing kicks hit the ground and the average time for the fullback to get the ball. How many bombs lead to errors by the opposition catcher? There is so much information that can be recorded but isn't shown to us and it would give us much better insights into the game and explain why a player like Cleary may be better than we think he is. Or worse for that matter!

Tunza on Reddit who is a stats god/nerd says there is a mountain of stats the general public don't have access to. Apparently you can get it if you pay a few thousand dollars.

You don’t need to look at the stats to know Cleary doesn’t get many try assists. That was a nice little play last night, but his attacking game is limited.

When he’s back we should play it as Maloney being the main man on the ball, Cleary as the second option.

luv my panfas

Juniors
No. Over the next 12 months the game will pass him by. It's inevitable at his age. He has at most 1 season of NRL left in him.
Not a bad assumption Old panther and hopefully that last year will be with us No way Lui is ready to take his shoes Given all his faults Moloney is our only option at this stage On Nathan call him robotic call him whatever you like He gives 100 percent every game and will be a genuine half in the future they say Cronks a robot well 3 or 4 premierships will do me !!!

Not a bad assumption Old panther and hopefully that last year will be with us No way Lui is ready to take his shoes Given all his faults Moloney is our only option at this stage On Nathan call him robotic call him whatever you like He gives 100 percent every game and will be a genuine half in the future they say Cronks a robot well 3 or 4 premierships will do me !!!

Luai is good enough to be a starting 5/8 in the NRL right now, obviously Maloney is a much better player, not even a comparison, but the question the club needs to ask itself is can they win a premiership next year. If the answer is no, then it does make some sense to move on to Luai.

What are all Luai’s faults?

OldPanther

Coach

Luai is good enough to be a starting 5/8 in the NRL right now, obviously Maloney is a much better player, not even a comparison, but the question the club needs to ask itself is can they win a premiership next year. If the answer is no, then it does make some sense to move on to Luai.

I agree with Herbert here. It depends on if the club thinks a premiership is possible. If we are building a young squad (Luai, Kenny, Martin etc.) around the (by next year) experienced Cleary, JFH, RCG we might as well give Luai the game time to develop as well.

luv my panfas

Juniors

I doubt we will win a premiere ship next year regardless of who plays five eight If the opportunity exists to keep Jimmy i think we should simply because if everybody thinks Lui is the next gun five eight you wont get a better mentor Anyone playing nrl has something to offer but speed between the ears in the halves is a real gift Thats why Fittler went back to Jimmy Lui i think will be a great player in the future but in my opinion hes 20 nrl games away from the speed between the ears

Exsilium

First Grade
Losing Maloney would be a massive loss for this club.

He's a game winner, a leader and a significant influence on Cleary and Luai.

If our forward pack had been performing since round 1, we'd be miles up the ladder.

He's as fit as he's ever been and injury free for the first time in years. Players like him do not come along very often and I'd be annoyed if we let him go.

OldPanther

Coach

If our forward pack had been performing since round 1, we'd be miles up the ladder.

He's as fit as he's ever been and injury free for the first time in years. Players like him do not come along very often and I'd be annoyed if we let him go.

He's 34 next year. Mentally he'll be as good as ever but physically he'll start falling behind. Even Cam Smithler isn't what he was a year ago.

I doubt we will win a premiere ship next year regardless of who plays five eight If the opportunity exists to keep Jimmy i think we should simply because if everybody thinks Lui is the next gun five eight you wont get a better mentor Anyone playing nrl has something to offer but speed between the ears in the halves is a real gift Thats why Fittler went back to Jimmy Lui i think will be a great player in the future but in my opinion hes 20 nrl games away from the speed between the ears

He’s had Maloney mentor him for two full seasons, he’s older than Nathan Cleary. His time is now, but only if the club thinks we can’t go deep in the finals next year.

If Maloney stays next year I’d look at Luai for the centres.

Dave's mate

Juniors
He’s had Maloney mentor him for two full seasons, he’s older than Nathan Cleary. His time is now, but only if the club thinks we can’t go deep in the finals next year.

If Maloney stays next year I’d look at Luai for the centres.
Why do people keep saying centre? Whats the reasoning?

Field position wasn’t an issue in the early rounds (ie the forwards), in fact we spent more time in the last 20m than any club. The issue was execution.

BxTom

Bench

And just how does a club know whether it can win a comp in the following year??? If you let us know, I'm sure there are 16 NRL clubs that will be all ears...

And just how does a club know whether it can win a comp in the following year??? If you let us know, I'm sure there are 16 NRL clubs that will be all ears...

I’m talking about the squad, do they believe they have the right players to go deep. I’m fairly certain the club would set a benchmark for the season based on a range of conditions.