What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What Movies Have You Seen III

That reminds me, I watched “Collosal” with Anne Hathaway and Jason Sudeikis.

I’d had it on my “IQ” for ages and watched it just so I could delete it.

I give it 2 spuds.

I like Sudeikis and Hathaway was ok.

Interesting enough story which runs out of steam. Looks like it would’ve been a better “Twilight Zone” short story or “ ‘Round the Twist” for kids growing up in the 90’s. :wink:

PJ

First Grade
Rocketman.Twas OK 7/10. Whereas Bhomian Rhapsody was a biopic that had music, this was a musical about a musician. Egerton was excellent.

Us. Was interesting to start but became so silly. Stupid story that could have been redeemed with some semi reasonable explanation. Twist was obvious a mile away. If it wasn't for the success of Get Out this probably wouldn't have made a murmor. 3/10

horrie hastings

First Grade
Yep. In those days movies had to have an engaging story not just cgi.

The great disaster movie formula, get some big Hollywood A lister's thrown in with some solid B graders and put them into a position of peril and see who comes out alive and who perishes, Airport, The Poseidon Adventure, Earthquake and The Towering Inferno had that in spades, The Towering Inferno probably did that the best with Steve McQueen and Paul Newman and added Faye Dunaway who was big at the time then had stars from yesteryear which included William Holden, Fred Astaire and Jennifer Jones. Earthquake was always going run second to The Towering Inferno which had double the budget with the backing of two studios but Earthquake had the concept of Sensurround which was suppose to give the impression that you were actually experiencing the earthquake while it was happening, all it did really was crack the plaster ceilings in lots of cinemas and give a lot of people headaches.

Mr Spock!

Referee
The great disaster movie formula, get some big Hollywood A lister's thrown in with some solid B graders and put them into a position of peril and see who comes out alive and who perishes, Airport, The Poseidon Adventure, Earthquake and The Towering Inferno had that in spades, The Towering Inferno probably did that the best with Steve McQueen and Paul Newman and added Faye Dunaway who was big at the time then had stars from yesteryear which included William Holden, Fred Astaire and Jennifer Jones. Earthquake was always going run second to The Towering Inferno which had double the budget with the backing of two studios but Earthquake had the concept of Sensurround which was suppose to give the impression that you were actually experiencing the earthquake while it was happening, all it did really was crack the plaster ceilings in lots of cinemas and give a lot of people headaches.
Yep, I saw Towering Inferno at the movies.

The same happened with war movies like D-Day and A Bridge Too Far.

It was a who's who of Hollywood in two movies.

I doubt that will ever happen again.

Timbo

Staff member
Just watched the Hervé Villechaize biopic with Peter Dinklage, My Dinner With Hervé.

Very interesting, and extremely well acted.

Also, just absolutely crushing. I’m not crying your crying.

Walt Flanigan

Referee
Us. Was interesting to start but became so silly. Stupid story that could have been redeemed with some semi reasonable explanation. Twist was obvious a mile away. If it wasn't for the success of Get Out this probably wouldn't have made a murmor. 3/10
Thought it was kinda stupid. Characters doing really dumb things (even for that type of movie). Yeah picked the twist in the very first scene.

Parra

Referee
Downsizing. Matt Damon. Very strange movie about people undergoing a procedure to shrink down to 5inches tall. 5.5/10

This was bad. Sort of attempt at sci-fi that really should've been a comedy. Very family look and feel but then there is unnecessary nudity. Sound track doesn't match the sci-fi attempt, more like a tv sitcom vibe.

Interesting idea poorly executed? I didn't make it to the end.

PJ

First Grade
Pet Semetary remake. 6/10 as a horror, so about a 4 as a film.

Pretty bad. Why can't they ever just do the subtle, and for mine quite disturbing, ending King had in the books rather than the bigger style. Mist is the exception.

Zoidberg

First Grade
Aladdin. Better than I expected. Really liked some of the musical numbers and Princess Jasmine <3
The original lacked a good 3rd act to make it a great movie and this one suffers from the same issue.
7/10

Timbo

Staff member
Serenity with Matthew McConaughey.

Wow. If you’ve not heard about it, stop what you’re doing right now, go and watch it and come back to this thread. Do not read anything about it beforehand.

It makes The Room look like The Godfather.

King hit

Coach
Toy story 4

Was very good but I personally thought the first 3 were better. Great character development and story. Was more centred towards Woody then the other toys.

I’ve always loved the toy story franchise

axl rose

Bench
Brightburn- takes a decent premise and delivers it in the most generic way possible. 5/10.

Toy story 4. Was very good but I personally thought the first 3 were better. Great character development and story. Was more centred towards Woody then the other toys.

Toy Story 4- Id still go with 3 as the best, thanks to Ken. Yeah some of the main characters were really more background characters in 4 and you could tell the voice actor of Potato Head is dead as he barely had a line. Enjoyed it a lot though. 8/10

Last edited:

soc123_au

Staff member
Rocketman. Not a bad movie,but towards the end I googled to see how long it was & tried to work out how long before it finished. Not something you do when watching something really great.

Generalzod

Immortal
Utoya July 22 on SBS last night. The story of Anders Brevik who went on a shooting rampage on a Norwegian island.

Never showed the shooter or the victims being shot, only the result which added to the suspense.

8/10
There is another great movie about the horrific event on NETFLIX::::

277087R1.jpg

Generalzod

Immortal
Pet Semetary remake. 6/10 as a horror, so about a 4 as a film.

Pretty bad. Why can't they ever just do the subtle, and for mine quite disturbing, ending King had in the books rather than the bigger style. Mist is the exception.
So what was better the 1989 vversion or this one???