What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The 2019 USARL Season has Kicked Off (Believe it or Not)

latingringo101

Juniors
I heard that the USARL and Canadian domestic league (apart from wolfpack) are struggling due to the MLR. Players instead of playing both union and league are sticking to Union due to the professional teams popping up across North America.

Rugby league truely now needs a pro league and more professional set up so we don't lose out to union in NA

Whatwhere

Juniors
I heard that the USARL and Canadian domestic league (apart from wolfpack) are struggling due to the MLR. Players instead of playing both union and league are sticking to Union due to the professional teams popping up across North America.

Rugby league truely now needs a pro league and more professional set up so we don't lose out to union in NA

It's only going to get worse. There were 9 teams in MLR this season. There will be another 3 coming online next season. At least two more in 2021 and a total of 16 by 2023. Then there's Super 7s which is a expanded 7s format in the works that will launch with 6-8 cities on board to be played in the summer months. Serious athletes will gravitate toward the opportunity to play professionally. Which will make finding new talent more difficult going forward.

Whatwhere

Juniors

It also highlights the apparent lack of development behind League in NA. Placing a team in a location regardless of how well marketed will always struggle to bed in locally when an alternative based around a far more established sport gets set up.

The Arrows have established themselves as the professional pathway for not only many players in Ontario but Canada as a whole and already have an academy set up that reaches down into the Junior High School ranks. These guys can move up the local ranks and be paid to play against cities they have some kind of affinity with through proximity and other sports (Hockey, Baseball, Soccer, Basketball).

latingringo101

Juniors
It also highlights the apparent lack of development behind League in NA. Placing a team in a location regardless of how well marketed will always struggle to bed in locally when an alternative based around a far more established sport gets set up.

The Arrows have established themselves as the professional pathway for not only many players in Ontario but Canada as a whole and already have an academy set up that reaches down into the Junior High School ranks. These guys can move up the local ranks and be paid to play against cities they have some kind of affinity with through proximity and other sports (Hockey, Baseball, Soccer, Basketball).
The difference between the Arrows and wolfpack is arrows play in North America and Against Canadian and USA domestic teams. Wolfpack play in overseas comp where they kind of need to get pro players from overseas to keep sponsors and fans interested.

It's great NY, Ottawa and TW are flying the flag for pro RL in the Americas, but it won't make a dent in the actual playing landscape if all this $$$ isn't going to grassroots footy

Whatwhere

Juniors
The difference between the Arrows and wolfpack is arrows play in North America and Against Canadian and USA domestic teams. Wolfpack play in overseas comp where they kind of need to get pro players from overseas to keep sponsors and fans interested.

It's great NY, Ottawa and TW are flying the flag for pro RL in the Americas, but it won't make a dent in the actual playing landscape if all this $$$ isn't going to grassroots footy

That's kind of what I was implying. I tend to view the Wolfpack as more of a wealthy businessman's play thing rather than a legitimate attempt to build anything meaningful beyond maybe his own wealth further. And frankly, I'll look upon both Ottawa and New York much the same unless they actually take the time to do things differently. They can say they will but time will tell. The issue is, that would take away from the likelihood of swift promotion up the ranks which isn't all that appealing.

Deeecoreturns

Juniors

Can't see it happening. The interest just isn't there. We've seen all these Rugby Union attempts collapse before as well so, maybe this one will work but it probably won't still be here in three years. If it is it actually benefits league. More people playing = a bigger player pool. Make no mistake, Rugby League only exists now because of local Union clubs. If Rugby Union disappeared tomorrow in the US Rugby League would follow it within 12 months. This idea that Rugby League can become the dominant Rugby in the US is pie in the sky, we don't have the players, we don't have the money and we don't have the reach. Probably unique compared to other areas of the world, a strong Rugby Union benefits Rugby League in the US. They're doing our youth development for us.

Whatwhere

Juniors
Can't see it happening. The interest just isn't there. We've seen all these Rugby Union attempts collapse before as well so, maybe this one will work but it probably won't still be here in three years. If it is it actually benefits league. More people playing = a bigger player pool. Make no mistake, Rugby League only exists now because of local Union clubs. If Rugby Union disappeared tomorrow in the US Rugby League would follow it within 12 months. This idea that Rugby League can become the dominant Rugby in the US is pie in the sky, we don't have the players, we don't have the money and we don't have the reach. Probably unique compared to other areas of the world, a strong Rugby Union benefits Rugby League in the US. They're doing our youth development for us.

I'm dubious of the likely sustainability of the Super 7s concept though applaud them for looking to launch with both men's and women's teams.

But from what I know about MLR and the sports management experience of the guys actually running the league I think it will stick around long term. A number of the Head office people have both MLS and NHL experience both in launching new franchises and administration in general.

deluded pom?

Coach
I've been updating the USARL 2019 season wikipedia page the last fortnight with all the latest results and fixing the fixtures. I've just added a ladder as well for both conferences. I have barely any knowledge of how to edit wikipedia pages so if someone who has any idea on how to improve the page or update it to make it look nicer then please go ahead. I will continue to update the page with all the scores as I can find them (unless someone beats me to it! :)) I still need to add more fixtures from round 5 onwards as well but if no-one else does, i'll try and get them all up in the next week or too.

Since It's been hard trying to find results and information for some of the games, I thought I'd try and help out us fans that just want to keep updated with all the latest scores. Here's the link if you want to check it out or update it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2019_USARL_season
Thanks mate. It’s much appreciated.

deluded pom?

Coach
No Worries. Round 6 has just been updated now too. It seems the usarl.us website has been updating their results and tables now too which is good to see. :)
I’ve just looked and the USARL.org tables are all showing zeroes. I can’t seem to locate any link to scores either. The
https://usarl.us/results is almost up to date. I don’t get the logic of two websites.

Last edited:

Ballgame59

Juniors
I was going to head to my 1st Mayhem match on this last Saturday against Touring UK Flag Military Side however the match was canceled. Glad I checked 1st as it's a 24 mile ride from St. Petersburg.

As of this time, I plan on going this Saturday. I had no idea that there was a League side near me until I became active on this forum. It'd be nice if the Bucs NFL team had some affiliation so that they could promote the Mayhem and get the word could get out there is a League Rugby side in town. The Rays baseball team now own the Rowdies "soccer" team and they kind of promote each other.

Last edited:

Deeecoreturns

Juniors
I was going to head to my 1st Mayhem match on this last Saturday against Touring UK Flag Military Side however the match was canceled. Glad I checked 1st as it's a 24 mile ride from St. Petersburg.

As of this time, I plan on going this Saturday. I had no idea that there was a League side near me until I became active on this forum. It'd be nice if the Bucs NFL team had some affiliation so that they could promote the Mayhem and get the word could get out there is a League Rugby side in town. The Rays baseball team now own the Rowdies "soccer" team and they kind of promote each other.

The bucs actually invited us down when the Wolfpack were in town and it was a great experience to visit the facility and get the guided tour. We're much too small for them to ever bother with us though tbh. It was actually me that spoke to you via the page haha hopefully should be plain sailing from here!

Ballgame59

Juniors
The bucs actually invited us down when the Wolfpack were in town and it was a great experience to visit the facility and get the guided tour. We're much too small for them to ever bother with us though tbh. It was actually me that spoke to you via the page haha hopefully should be plain sailing from here!

Thanks for getting back to me so quick. That's awesome that you got to visit the facility. Lookin' forward to Saturday. I had no idea we had a team until someone from the NRL thread told me.

It would still be nice if the Bucs did something. Just a mention. Maybe a gratuitous advert? I know I am going to spread the word.

Last edited:

Deeecoreturns

Juniors
Thanks for getting back to me so quick. That's awesome that you got to visit the facility. Lookin' forward to Saturday. I had no idea we had a team until someone from the NRL thread told me.

It would still be nice if the Bucs did something. Just a mention. Maybe a gratuitous advert? I know I am going to spread the word.

That's really cool that you found us. To be honest I thought we'd been doing an alright job in the local area; obviously not haha only a drop in the pond but our local following online has increased hugely in recent years. Hopefully there's more of you out there!

Deeecoreturns

Juniors
Atlanta Rhinos have forfeited tomorrow's game against copperheads and haven't travelled. It's not a good sign but HOPEFULLY it's just a bad day at the office player number wise

Ballgame59

Juniors
Atlanta Rhinos have forfeited tomorrow's game against copperheads and haven't travelled. It's not a good sign but HOPEFULLY it's just a bad day at the office player number wise

That sucks.
They probably should have forfeited last week as well in my opinion. They came with only13 players and had a couple injured during the game so they had no subs.

Deeecoreturns

Juniors
Th

Is this because AR's are reliant on union players?

Nah man they're just struggling. We were in a similar boat tbh but we've found another 6 or 7 guys as the season has progressed. They're inexperienced and not world beaters but it has really eased the hassle. Atlanta haven't been as fortunate.

Ballgame59

Juniors
So I've managed to get to the last two Tampa matches and we've pretty much blown both clubs away (Atlanta & Lakeland). I hope get to next week as well.

Last edited:

Deeecoreturns

Juniors
So I've managed to get to the last two Tampa matches and we've pretty much blown both clubs away (Atlanta & Lakeland). I hope get to next week as well.

Next week will be a much tougher prospect tbh they beat us earlier this year. Its the longest south season they've ever had and teams are beginning to feel it now tbh especially in that heat. Once a team gets on a roll its very hard to stop

Latest posts