What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Non Footy Chat Thread II

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
But the economy is already retooling. Coal fired power stations are in the process of being decommissioned. Indeed the biggest economic inhibitors to our country right now is a lack of energy policy. Industry needs certainty in this sector. Without certainty they cannot plan ahead

Strangely our PM and Treasurer drafted an energy policy with bipartisan and industry support, the NEG. The National Energy Guarantee provided compromise and certainty. Yet it has been shelved. F**k knows why. The NEG was designed to bring down power prices, maintain baseload AND bringing down emissions.

http://coagenergycouncil.gov.au/sites/prod.energycouncil/files/publications/documents/Final Detailed Design - National Energy Guarantee.pdf

Meanwhile whilst the current government’s energy policy remains in limbo because they are too gutless to make a decision bc it will upset the factions, merkins are cutting their own path.

Australia to achieve 50% renewables by 2030 without government intervention, analysis finds

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2019/may/29/australia-to-achieve-50-renewables-by-2030-without-government-intervention-analysis-finds
I agree with this. There is high level policy intent but no substance beyond this.

Governments just announce shit and then expect Industries to magic up a solution when there are more questions than answers.

I have been around the table for Queensland and Commonwealth government discussions and have been part of a group developing a sectoral plan for industry and it is f**king embarrassing.

Just set some sensible, practical rules that are clear and can be followed and then get out of the way, merkins!

strider

Post Whore
I didn't say we should do zero. Both yourself and Gronk have just quoted my first paragraph and ignored some other important stuff that I have said.

We just need to be realistic about what 'pressure' on its own will actually achieve.

I have a very different view of what happened in the recent Australian election. The radical greens and the labour left and their completely out of touch campaign methods were a significant factor in Labour losing what many thought was an unloseable election. People voted for economic security over environmental grandstanding. If that doesn't send people a message I don't know what the f**k will.

These groups need to go back to the drawing board and adopt a completely different approach if they want genuine change that others will embrace. They need to think more about what a 'constructive yes' looks like rather than an 'unhelpful no'.

Whether they like it or not the world will continue to develop and the requirement for energy and resources will increase significantly. Populations aren't growing as quickly in places like China but more people are moving into wealthier classes. India will surpass China in population by 2030 and even somewhere like Nigeria will become the third most populous country after 2050.

It is a wank word but the concept of sustainability (environment, social and economics being interwined) has been completely lost. People are either asserting that the environment is the most important thing or that people and the economy are.

The reality is that for people to give a shit about the environment they need to see that it is sustainable and doesn't come at a cost at the micro level. For that to happen there needs to be a sensible transition over time, not a reckless campaign to shut down industries or sectors of the economy (mining).

You proved a couple of weeks ago that you are against something that you don't understand when you made a bullshit comment about Adani's project in Brazil (It doesn't exist...).
well said .... im starting to wonder if you are really just a marine biologist :thinking:

Bazal

Post Whore
Not 'Just' a marine biologist. The best f**ken marine biologist this country has seen!

Yeah.

Although it must be said there have been so many tragedies involving young, bright up and coming marine biologists over the past few years.

Most of them around you, now that I think about it...

hindy111

Post Whore
Im getting airtasker adds which makes sense as I downloaded it recently.
Most likely Gronk has googled teenage girls in skirts at some point recently.

Gronk

Staff member
Merkin from Pink Floyd auctioned his guitar collection and donated the cash to Client Earth. :earth_asia::pray:

ClientEarth is a charity that uses the power of the law to protect the planet and the people who live on it. We are lawyers and environmental experts who are fighting against climate change and to protect nature and the environment”

Latest posts