What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Queensland Maroons 2019

beave

Coach
Hunt hasn't done that bad. He was very good in game 1 and was their best in game 2.

game one, I honestly thought he was tripe. I get that he played hooker and defended his ass off for 80mins and deserves praise for that side of the ball, but as a hooker by f**k his passing game was horrendous.

So many balls went to ground or behind the runners. I don’t care what anyone says, hooker is not a position you can throw someone into the deep end and expect them to shine, especially at that level.

Every play is started by the hookers decisions and ability to get a clean,crisp and accurate pass away. He hasn’t prove he can do that repeatedly at hooker for mine.

Big Pete

Referee
Outside of his kicking game, I thought Hunt's indeciveness and lack of direction out of dummy half was a clear hindrance to Queensland.

There were a number of moments where players weren't sure if they were getting it and were like deers in the headlight.

I just don't know if Queensland have anybody better than him. Mahoney has a few good qualities about him, but he's still raw and gets stuck on auto-pilot at the Eels.

I said it a few months ago.

I miss Smith.

Tweed Titan

Bench
Outside of his kicking game, I thought Hunt's indeciveness and lack of direction out of dummy half was a clear hindrance to Queensland.

There were a number of moments where players weren't sure if they were getting it and were like deers in the headlight.

I just don't know if Queensland have anybody better than him. Mahoney has a few good qualities about him, but he's still raw and gets stuck on auto-pilot at the Eels.

I miss Smith.
In a few years people will realize Smith is the real GOAT not Thurston.

Big Pete

Referee
In a few years people will realize Smith is the real GOAT not Thurston.

Both were marvelous players, I tend to favour players like Smith but couldn't take anything away from JT. If he didn't put Brent Tate away in 2006, everything would be different.

Woosh

Head Moderator
Wonder if the Maroons can even bring in many changes. This is just about the best possible team they can field.

The talent was there but they are scraping barrel atm.
In a perfect world the back 5 for this year series would’ve been

1. Ponga
2. Gagai
3. Inglis
4. Folau
5. Holmes

Then throw in Ben Teo in the forward rotation.
Still their biggest weakness is hooker.

King hit

Coach

I miss Smith.

Mahoney will play for the Maroons one day if he keeps it up. Has looked quite good from the Eels games I've seen. If Friend wasn't injured he would've slotted into the QLD hooker spot this year, he should've been there last year as well.

Big Pete

Referee
Mahoney will play for the Maroons one day if he keeps it up. Has looked quite good from the Eels games I've seen. If Friend wasn't injured he would've slotted into the QLD hooker spot this year, he should've been there last year as well.

Last year Friend struggled with a sternum injury and was playing well below first grade standard. He picked his game up towards the end of last year and was firming for a spot, but neither he nor Granville gave McCullough any competition for his spot.

lockyno1

Post Whore

Wouldn’t be against them taking a punt on him in game 3

billygilmore

Juniors
The talent was there but they are scraping barrel atm.
In a perfect world the back 5 for this year series would’ve been

1. Ponga
2. Gagai
3. Inglis
4. Folau
5. Holmes

Then throw in Ben Teo in the forward rotation.
Still their biggest weakness is hooker.

I would have taken Yow Yeh over Gagai

davi

Juniors
Gus Gould was asked about the Queensland team on the podcast and he noted Joe Ofahengaue will come back in the side. He stated though he thought the changes had to be in attitude not the make up of the team. Problem for Queensland is the biggest dilemma is in the forwards and making changes with what there is left may not be the answer.

Christian Welsh (pick him)
Korbin Sims (not the answer)
Coen Hess (he's been forgotten and some have noted he has regressed since his burst on the scene a couple of years ago)
Kurt Capwell (underrated but my gut instinct is he won't be picked because QLD need another Prop)

Dylan Napa didn't play well unlike Game 1 but it should be noted he only played 23 minutes which might give him a reprieve. Jarrod Wallace and Tim Glasby maybe ditched with Ofahengaue and Welsh replacing them. Unless Cameron Smith is called back in the team I have no issue going again with Ben Hunt as hooker.

I read a suggestion there are more benefits for QLD having Michael Morgan at utility then centre and they should replace Moses Mbye with Morgan. Move Dane Gagai to Centre and bring in Kyle Feldt to wing is a interesting suggestion but its unlikely to be acted on in my opinion. Morgan did have one of the highest metre yardage for the backs too when playing centre in game 2.

My thoughts
Game 2 was just one of those games
Intensity wasn't there .
Attitude wasn't there .
& playing in the wet seemed to make it far worse .
We got absolutely smashed
The whole team were bad so I can't blame any one player so I wouldn't make changes ..the change has to be in attitude ..commitment etc .

& hopefully no rain

no name

Coach
f**king ridiculous how they let Hoooooops sit there and announce the ‘likely’ Qld team with Kevvie sitting right next to him.

Just f**king wait until the sides are announced.

Willie Ray

Bench
f**king ridiculous how they let Hoooooops sit there and announce the ‘likely’ Qld team with Kevvie sitting right next to him.

Just f**king wait until the sides are announced.
But deadest...he has it on good authority....
back to you Meegs.

Big Pete

Referee
Hooper's Likely Team
1. Kalyn Ponga
2. Corey Oates
3. Michael Morgan
4. Will Chambers
5. Dane Gagai
6. Cameron Munster
7. Daly Cherry-Evans
8. Dylan Napa
9. Ben Hunt
10. Josh Papalii
11. Matt Gillett
12. Felise Kaufusi
13. Josh McGuire

14. Moses Mbye
15. Christian Welch
16. Joe Ofahengaue
17. David Fifita

18. Tim Glasby
19. Kurt Capewell

Welch is being 'rushed' in. Never mind the fact he's been a part of the emerging squad since 2017 and only missed the opener through injury.

davi

Juniors
Kalyn Ponga sat out the Knights last game with a calf injury but insists he will be right for state of origin. I read an article on the possible replacements (Michael Morgan, Cameron Munster, Darius Boyd, Anthony Milford, Moses Mbye, Alexander Brimson) and Corey Thompson's name came up. Wow never knew Corey was a Queenslander. Morgan probably would be likely. Boyd's name is only mentioned because he has played state of origin previously because his name isn't certainly mentioned on form (he announced he's retired anyway). Moving Munster there is a terrible idea developing combinations in 6 and 7 is hard enough as it is and you reset that moving Munster to fullback, Mute point though as Ponga is likely to play.

Big Pete

Referee
It's a real shame and all but confirms the result for the decider. Also highlights just how bad a loss Game II was for the Maroons. Game III was always going to be tough, to lose in the fashion they did was disgraceful.

Interesting to see which direction Kev chooses to go in. Queensland don't really have any fullbacks in frame for selection. Likely either Morgan or Munster will have to shift with Kyle Feldt or Corey Norman to come in.