What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Oceania Cup 2019

adamkungl

Immortal
The first games have been played and already 2 teams are up against it.

In the A group,
NZ def Tonga 34-14
still to come,
Aus v NZ
Tonga v Aus

In the B group,
Samoa def PNG 24-6
still to come
Fiji v Samoa
PNG v Fiji

PNG will find promotion into A tough from here, needing to not only beat a very strong Fiji but also hope Fiji beat Samoa by a decent margin.
Samoa are in the box seat with the first up win but Fiji will rate their chances of going 2/2 after easily dispatching Lebanon in the standalone test.

Tonga are lucky demotion isn't on the cards in the A group with Australia declining to participate next year.
An unlikely win v Australia could see them take the trophy but its more likely they'll finish bottom after a big loss.
NZ will be hoping to wrap it up with a second-in-a-row win against Australia in October. Taking the trophy here could provide a big boost to their Lions tour crowds.

Who do you hope gets promoted and why?
PNG have the strongest domestic Rugby League scene of the B-teams,
Fiji have been the 4th strongest nation for over a decade and arguably already deserve to be there,
and Samoa would give us some huge clashes v Tonga and NZ.

But who do you think will be promoted? And who will win the major trophy?

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
I hope Fiji get promoted.

They are the semi-finalists from the last three world cups, were dudded a spot in the 2014 Four Nations after finishing ahead of Samoa at the 2013 world cup and pencilled in as the fourth nation but at the last minute being made to play a play-off against Samoa which they lost.

Then, they made the semis of the 2017 world cup after beating NZ, but Tonga were given the spot in the top teir of the Oceania Cup despite the same achievement as Fiji (going out in the semis and beating NZ.

Walter sobchak

First Grade
Fiji for me. Massive potential in the coming years to more than competitive with the likes of NZ, England and Australia if they continue with the NRL standard production line of players and they can keep hold of them!!!

Clarkent

Juniors
Samoa for me... Being a bit biased but always love watching my team against the top tier nations... I wish there was a 5 nations cause it would've been awesome having Fiji and Samoa in it... Would've made it a whole lot more interesting and entertaining! I am worried about facing the Fijian at the end of the year they're a dangerous team...

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
I want Fiji to go through....

With Australia out next year, my money would be on Fiji for a surprise win.

Does the Oceanic Cup have a Final game between the top 2? or is the winner just the top of the table?

Pommy

Coach
We can knock the format but it’s a lot better than what we’ve had previously. Hopefully with this format it’s sustainable and can be grown in to something better.
If you start off big and you hit a hurdle once the chances are it won’t happen again at all.

Burns

First Grade
Brad Walter has new article on NRL.com, says that Lebanon are out, Cook Islands are in.

Also says that the Mid Season Games could be played in, North Queensland or PNG.

roughyedspud

Coach
It's half arsed and everyone has figured that out the second it was announced!

It should have been a full on pacific cup,it's nearly there as it is but they've f**ked it up..

We could have had 2 groups of 3,Australia in one group and NZ in the other and then the winners of each group play in the final...it was nearly there! Seeded groups and a final and we have what everyone wants...but nah

adamkungl

Immortal
We can knock the format but it’s a lot better than what we’ve had previously. Hopefully with this format it’s sustainable and can be grown in to something better.
If you start off big and you hit a hurdle once the chances are it won’t happen again at all.

That's not really true. The previous format of 4 Nations which ran 2006-2016 most non WC years was considered successful.
As was its predecessor the Tri Nations, which used a double round robin + final format for 7 games.

Australia treating the Kangaroos as an unaffordable burden is a relatively new trend

Jim from Oz

Juniors
Both the three nations and the four Nations competitions had a final, which made it all the more exciting.

It’s not rocket science!

Springs09

Juniors
That's not really true. The previous format of 4 Nations which ran 2006-2016 most non WC years was considered successful.
As was its predecessor the Tri Nations, which used a double round robin + final format for 7 games.

Australia treating the Kangaroos as an unaffordable burden is a relatively new trend

The reason to get rid of the Four Nations was to have something bigger in its place, as the format is quite limited. For example - confederations cup (8 teams), extended tours (3 test series + tests against tier 2 nations) and regional championships.

What we currently have is not better or even bigger than the Four Nations. Last year was a 3 test Kiwi Tour and a couple of one-off Kangaroo games. This year is a 4 test controversial Lions Tour and a couple of one-off games, but this time under the 'Oceania Cup' banner.

Pommy

Coach

You’re comparing the three/four nations to something completely different though. Those tournaments had a minimum of three developed countries to market the product to. This is something totally different and it’s not a like for like comparison you’re making.

adamkungl

Immortal
You’re comparing the three/four nations to something completely different though. Those tournaments had a minimum of three developed countries to market the product to. This is something totally different and it’s not a like for like comparison you’re making.

Partially disagree. Tonga are now established as being able to draw a big audience against Aus and NZ. So the top tournament is a fair comparison.

But I'll admit, the main difference is probably the top tournament having to subsidise part of the costs of the second tournament (PNG Samoa Fiji) which has less marketing pull.
Also, the previous tournaments were backed by the NRL and I think the new one is backed by the RLIF who have far less financial security.
So less games to reduce risk is understandable.

Still, taking that into account, I think they've missed a trick by not holding a final at least. We should be able to bank on a final between Australia, New Zealand or Tonga being a profitable affair.
And allowing Australia to pull out next year will result in far less marketability for the next tournament.

Pommy

Coach
Partially disagree. Tonga are now established as being able to draw a big audience against Aus and NZ. So the top tournament is a fair comparison.

But I'll admit, the main difference is probably the top tournament having to subsidise part of the costs of the second tournament (PNG Samoa Fiji) which has less marketing pull.
Also, the previous tournaments were backed by the NRL and I think the new one is backed by the RLIF who have far less financial security.
So less games to reduce risk is understandable.

Still, taking that into account, I think they've missed a trick by not holding a final at least. We should be able to bank on a final between Australia, New Zealand or Tonga being a profitable affair.
And allowing Australia to pull out next year will result in far less marketability for the next tournament.

Tonga are part of the developed Australia and NZ markets. There’s no money being made in Tonga.

adamkungl

Immortal
Tonga are part of the developed Australia and NZ markets. There’s no money being made in Tonga.

The lions share of money is made in gate and television of the host nations, and Tonga games are drawing an audience.. even if England were participating, how much would Sky or BBC be paying to show England games at 3 in the morning?

Burns

First Grade
When do we think we’ll get announcements of 2019 version anyway? After the Cup is decided this year; or in March 2019?

Pommy

Coach
The lions share of money is made in gate and television of the host nations, and Tonga games are drawing an audience.. even if England were participating, how much would Sky or BBC be paying to show England games at 3 in the morning?

Would Australia be splitting the money with England?

siv

First Grade
Oceania Cup was designed in such a way so that Australia has a bye during the mid year rep weekend so that SOO could be played

If we go to SOO I and III on rep weekends - it cannot expand

Latest posts