What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

In a deep dark hole once again

How is it a dark hole. You're in ninth. Exactly where you're supposed to be.

Because there’s between a quarter to a third of the cap being under-utilised and probably half the first grade squad under-achieving except for the odd sporadic effort when we want consistency.

There’s a number of lads, who are being shopped all over town. Two for one deal before June 30 with an interest free loan.

Then we let Tim mannah get an extension and upgrade at our inconvenience. We got played well, we don’t Like that too much unless we are getting a % on the sly.

Having said that, there is a tendency to be severe and expect over night results.

It’s not like we have a perpetual bulldogs issue although they can suddenly find $10m for a disinterested Latrell.

We can’t find $10 for red frogs for our ball boys.

I think on paper we should be sixth.

The hole is deep but haven’t quite lost our sunlight

It actually says a lot about how the WT are perceived when teams that lose to them are livid and critical of their own state of play.

magpie_man

Juniors
I've been giving this quite some thought lately and I keep going back to the whole Farah-Potter fiasco from a few years ago.
We were finally rid of the Sheensius with his asinine selection tactics and it was a brave new era with a really talented crop of juniors coming through the ranks. We were primed for another 2005-esque charge and then Farah flapped his lips and an implosion on farcical levels ensued.
It has been a complete circus ever since, up until now.
With a bit more stability, nous and luck we'd likely be boasting a team like this:

1. James Tedesco
2. Marika Koroibete
3. Tim Simona
4. Esan Marsters
5. Josh Addo-Carr
6. Mitchell Moses
7. Luke Brooks
8. Aaron Woods
9. ???
10. Alex Twal
11. Ryan Matterson
12. Chris Lawrence
13. Martin Taupau

Tiger05

First Grade
magpie_man - we have really had some poor moments when it comes to recruitment and retention. The turd though was a prick of a person. We went after him but he just viewed us as a stepping stone. Look at those wingers we let go.

The club just has to get better at making these decisions though. To be honest I think letting Woods go and possibly even Moses were good decisions at the time. The club also couldn't do much about Simona.

Last edited:

Fordy20

Juniors
I've been giving this quite some thought lately and I keep going back to the whole Farah-Potter fiasco from a few years ago.
We were finally rid of the Sheensius with his asinine selection tactics and it was a brave new era with a really talented crop of juniors coming through the ranks. We were primed for another 2005-esque charge and then Farah flapped his lips and an implosion on farcical levels ensued.
With a bit more stability, nous and luck we'd likely be boasting a team like this:

1. James Tedesco
2. Marika Koroibete
3. Tim Simona
4. Esan Marsters
5. Josh Addo-Carr
6. Mitchell Moses
7. Luke Brooks
8. Aaron Woods
9. ???
10. Alex Twal
11. Ryan Matterson
12. Chris Lawrence
13. Martin Taupau

It's a nice thought experiment, but the reality is our club doesn't have it's shit together in the terms of board, back office and facilities and hasn't for some time.Until all that gets sorted out, we will continue to be a feeder club for the glamour clubs like the Broncos, Storm, Souths and Roosters.

1. James Tedesco
2. Marika Koroibete
3. Tim Simona
4. Esan Marsters
5. Josh Addo-Carr
6. Mitchell Moses
7. Luke Brooks
8. Aaron Woods
9. ???
10. Alex Twal
11. Ryan Matterson
12. Chris Lawrence
13. Martin Taupau

Marika would have eventually left when the Rugby money came knocking.

Tiger Ted

Bench
It's a nice thought experiment, but the reality is our club doesn't have it's shit together in the terms of board, back office and facilities and hasn't for some time.Until all that gets sorted out, we will continue to be a feeder club for the glamour clubs like the Broncos, Storm, Souths and Roosters.
Until Madge came along this club that’s a paragon of mediocrity had the lowest Rugby league IQ in the NRL.

Once the shackles of the deadwood r released & Madge assembles his squad we will b genuine contenders for another premiership.

super_coach

First Grade
Every club can tell a sad story about the one that got away. The trouble is our club never seems to learn from previous blunders. Every year it’s the same old story.

On a positive note, I have a lot of faith in Madge, he will not sugar coat thing and will be brutal getting the roster he wants. The burning question is, will Madge be able to stick at with our mob, it’s not like he has big Rusty to attract and fund the quality cattle required to go to the next level.

Tiger05

First Grade
I think we have a bunch of players that can turn us around.

Chee-Kam, Aloiai, Eisenhuth, Liddle, Thompson, Matterson, Mikaele are all the sort of players that we need. They all have some impact and consistently play pretty well. We really need to sign up Liddle and Aloiai.

Then we have guys like Brooks (who I like but he has to improve), Packer, Reynolds, Mbye, Marsters & Nofo who are all a bit hit and miss. Nofo is unlucky to be included in that list because he does consistently put in. These guys though are all on decent money (maybe Marsters isn't) and they aren't performing consistently well.

Benji and Robbie are great to have around the club on minimal dollars but Liddle is clearly better for the team than Robbie. Madge seems to get this and is easing Liddle in. Benji hasn't been great but he has probably been our best half this season and he is on minimal dollars.

It's our top end players that are taking up too much cash and not delivering enough that are the issue and that isn't going to unwind for a couple of years.

Shredder

Juniors
Considering the negativity on here generally you wouldn't believe that we are currently outright 8th on the ladder and if Canberra beat the Eels we will stay there.

Add to that that we have $3mln worth of salary cap that Madge doesnt want to use and I think we should really be pointing at the coach in terms of who is doing well.

Would like that +/- to be positive though.