What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dragons Squad June 30 Deadline

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
the bit in bold is not evidence of your statement

you categorically said saints WOULD HAVE folded

you're making stuff up, i don't need to provide evidence, you're the one making outlandish claims

stop it with the tantrum stuff, it doesn't help with your argument and in fact makes you look churlish
Lol..

Yes, I believe St George would have folded.

As would have the Steelers.

It’s not an outlandish claim at all. This is why we have a Joint Venture today.

The chairman of St George at the time said the very same thing.

Are you disputing him too?

I still haven’t seen anything to say that St George would have made it alone... If so, why were they looking for suitors?

Feel free to try and convince me otherwise, I’m a logical guy who loves facts.. But at the moment it’s just opinions coming from your side..

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
The St George Board took the conservative view that by joining with Illawarra, the new club would be exempt from the prospect of being excluded from the NRL because there were too many Sydney Clubs.

The political will to go it alone was weak at the time.
I think you’ll find it was a smart move.. Check out the 2000 NRL eligibility criteria and tell me where St George would have ranked at the time..

It is ironic that the “weak link” in the JV is now perceived by many in the media as its strongest asset.
By “weak link” do you mean Wollongong?

I think you’ll find it’s not just the media who believe that is a good strategic play..

The NRL is trying to position itself as the no.1 sport in the country. To do that it needs reach outside of Sydney..

Ask yourself, why did the NRL prop up Newcastle after Tinkler left? Surely that would have been a great opportunity to shift a licence to Perth or Adelaide..

taxidriver

Coach
Lol..

Yes, I believe St George would have folded.

As would have the Steelers.

It’s not an outlandish claim at all. This is why we have a Joint Venture today.

The chairman of St George at the time said the very same thing.

Are you disputing him too?

I still haven’t seen anything to say that St George would have made it alone... If so, why were they looking for suitors?

Feel free to try and convince me otherwise, I’m a logical guy who loves facts.. But at the moment it’s just opinions coming from your side..
typical muzby MO

make a bullshit statement and when you get called on it deflect

again, you've failed to provide a shred of evidence that saints would certainly have folded.

the chairmans statements you keep clutching at do nothing to support your statement of fact, that's not opinion, that's comprehension. Choosing a path he felt safer is not evidence that we would have folded.

taxidriver

Coach
that 2000 critieria which turfed out the Bunnies but was overturned and Bunnies rejoined?
I guess we all know what that criteria is worth.

i think the high court overruled the decision that Souths were illegally kicked out, the NRL let them stay anyway from memory

South came 15th in the criteria for a 14 team comp, we would have been fine alone

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
typical muzby MO

make a bullshit statement and when you get called on it deflect

again, you've failed to provide a shred of evidence that saints would certainly have folded.

the chairmans statements you keep clutching at do nothing to support your statement of fact, that's not opinion, that's comprehension. Choosing a path he felt safer is not evidence that we would have folded.
Lol.. So the words of the chairman saying the exact same thing as me don’t support the argument.. That’ll do me.. What’s next, your usual “straw man” claim..

St George would have folded had they gone it alone. It’s why the club was looking at mergers as early as 1995 when super league was about to start..

(That’s another fact, btw)

Still waiting to hear how they could have re-written history and stayed afloat..

The sooner people can let go of the past, the happier they’ll be..

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
that 2000 critieria which turfed out the Bunnies but was overturned and Bunnies rejoined?
I guess we all know what that criteria is worth.
Indeed.. but took a lengthy and expensive legal fight to do so..

Could we have put up the same?

taxidriver

Coach
Lol.. So the words of the chairman saying the exact same thing as me don’t support the argument.. That’ll do me.. What’s next, your usual “straw man” claim..

St George would have folded had they gone it alone. It’s why the club was looking at mergers as early as 1995 when super league was about to start..

Still waiting to hear how they could have re-written history and stayed afloat..

debating is one thing, flat out lies and refusal to acknowledge or admit you're wrong are another.

you've provided no evidence to support your claims, none whatsoever

why? because you can't

I'm done, at some point you have to accept who you're trying to reason with is just beyond that, at this stage I'm at that point.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
you've provided no evidence to support your claims, none whatsoever

why? because you can't
I keep pointing you towards the club chairman, yet you seem to not want to accept his words. Do you not trust him?

Alternatively you could take your argument up with one of our national broadcasters.. They’re bandying around the term “bankrupt” for both clubs..

https://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/the-logistics-of-a-team-in-southern-sydney

So I’ll ask again, if St George were unlikely to fold, why were they looking for suitors?

They weren’t coerced into it..

The sooner the grumbly folks can accept that we are where we are, and the part is gone, the sooner the finger pointing can stop and we focus on improving the on-field results..

I think you’ll find it was a smart move.. Check out the 2000 NRL eligibility criteria and tell me where St George would have ranked at the time..

By “weak link” do you mean Wollongong?

I think you’ll find it’s not just the media who believe that is a good strategic play..

The NRL is trying to position itself as the no.1 sport in the country. To do that it needs reach outside of Sydney..

Ask yourself, why did the NRL prop up Newcastle after Tinkler left? Surely that would have been a great opportunity to shift a licence to Perth or Adelaide..

NRL is and always will be a game played predominantly in QLD and NSW.

We have a far better chance of incorporating Samoa, Tonga, Fiji and PNG in to an expanded competition than Adelaide and Perth.

As for Melbourne, but for significant News Corp assistance they would not sustain a team in Victoria.

Geographically a merger between St George and Cronulla or St George and Canterbury made more sense, however historically we were always rivals.

The same could not be said of Illawarra.

Many Wollongong players came to the big smoke to play for St George. Illawarra was a junior nursery for St George decades before the Illawarra Steelers came in to existence. So in that sense Illawarra was a logical choice as a partner.

Managing a team with 2 home grounds is inefficient as is the idea of training in both areas.

We are married now for better or worse.

Under the next TV deal it is likely that neither side of the joint venture will have to financially support the club.

We need real privatisation not nepotism if the JV is to thrive on and off the field.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
As for Melbourne, but for significant News Corp assistance they would not sustain a team in Victoria.
Yeah, News Corp sold off the interest in the Storm 6 years ago..

They’re going pretty good without their assistance, wouldn’t you say?

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
NRL is and always will be a game played predominantly in QLD and NSW.

We have a far better chance of incorporating Samoa, Tonga, Fiji and PNG in to an expanded competition than Adelaide and Perth.
Possibly so... But how is that even remotely relevant to keeping an extra team in Sydney?

If a Sydney club looks like folding, the support won’t be there from the NRL.. They’ll just shift the licence to Perth, Adelaide, PNG, Tonga etc..

And you’d have to say whilst it’s a nuisance to travel to Wollongong to watch the old St George team play home games, it’s probably better than having to go overseas to watch home games..?

No?

possm

Coach

I'd sas St George would have looked for a partner selling 50% of their shares for about 10k. Joining with Illawarra ended up being a financial nightmare.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
I'd sas St George would have looked for a partner selling 50% of their shares for about 10k. Joining with Illawarra ended up being a financial nightmare.
Genuine question: which NRL club would be valued at $20,000?