What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Greetings from Tampa Bay, Florida

Ballgame59

Juniors
Hey everyone!
I've been lurking for a few weeks but this is my first post. So I've really gotten into NRL this season. Actually, only since Magic Round but I've been obsessed with learning everything I can as fast as I can. I watched a few matches over the last 2 years but never like this. I even bought Watch NRL and have really been watching non-stop. It's been an experience living my life 14 hours behind everything lately haha. I have to stay away from this site, Reddit and other social media on game days because I can't watch until about 9-12 hours after the matches are over. Except Origin II on Sunday. I woke at 5:30 am to watch live. :D

One question that I have is I thought they were going to play a match over here in the US. Or a Magic Round. How about exhibition matches? Something? Anything?

Anyway, one thing I did do to learn the players is play Supercoach. I am an avid fantasy player (American Sports and English Premier League). I've always thought that playing fantasy sports helps you learn the different players. So I've read up quite a bit on that.

EDIT: This wasn't necessarily meant to be a post about Fantasy.
Thanks for listening and please feel free to pass long anything else that I should know.

Last edited:

unforgiven

Bench
Hey everyone!
I've been lurking for a few weeks but this is my first post. So I've really gotten into NRL this season. Actually, only since Magic Round but I've been obsessed with learning everything I can as fast as I can. I watched a few matches over the last 2 years but never like this. I even bought Watch NRL and have really been watching non-stop. It's been an experience living my life 14 hours behind everything lately haha. I have to stay away from this site, Reddit and other social media on game days because I can't watch until about 9-12 hours after the matches are over. Except Origin II on Sunday. I woke at 5:30 am to watch live. :D

Anyway, one thing I did do to learn the players is play Supercoach. I am an avid fantasy player (American Sports and English Premier League). I've always thought that playing fantasy sports helps you learn the different players. So I've read up quite a bit on that. The problem that I am having is that I came in right in the middle. I read that I should "Invest" in players with low Break Even and such but would that really apply to someone just starting? I would love if someone could look over my side and maybe give some direction. Not necessarily tell me who to pick up but what I should be looking for. Here is my team (hopefully the link works).
https://supercoach.foxsports.com.au/nrl/classic/#/team/field

Another question that I have is I thought they were going to play a match over here in the US. Or a Magic Round. How about exhibition matches? Something? Anything?

Anyway, thanks for listening and please feel free to pass long anything else that I should know.
Welcome mate, I do the reverse with the NFL, watch it about 12 hours later.

gUt

Coach
Hi and welcome. Here is your LU welcome pack:

1 x f**ker you've never heard of.
1 x Jar of plod.
1 x random Kungl alt (collect them all!)
1 x relocation to Perth
1 x bunch of unruffled jimmies
1 x bitter pill*
Lifetime supply of lol@50uff$

*(On the unlikely chance you're not a Brisbane Broncos fan or you know someone who isn't, this pill will give them a sense of jealousy, referee anxiety and paranoia, irrational obsession with Friday nights, more jealousy, a sense that the Super League title "doesn't count", the false conviction that Johns > Lockyer and a whole lot more jealousy.)

Ballgame59

Juniors
Welcome mate, I do the reverse with the NFL, watch it about 12 hours later.

Does the NFL have anything like Watch NRL so you can see every game?
I've literally sat down and watched every team at least 3 times (since I've gotten Watch NRL).

unforgiven

Bench
Does the NFL have anything like Watch NRL so you can see every game?
I've literally sat down and watched every team at least 3 times (since I've gotten Watch NRL).

Yeah NFL gamepass, which is pretty expensive from here in Australia but cheaper in other countries. I watch 4 or 5 NFL games a week, and live on the Bengals forums lol. Have you chosen a team to support yet?

Ballgame59

Juniors
Yeah NFL gamepass, which is pretty expensive from here in Australia but cheaper in other countries. I watch 4 or 5 NFL games a week, and live on the Bengals forums lol. Have you chosen a team to support yet?

Bengals! I'm a Browns supporter since 1986. Eagles too. It's been brutal but things are looking up.

I wouldn't say that I've "chosen" a team to support just yet. I tend to start with the team that won it the year I was born and follow that team (Bunnies). But I have to say that over the last 3-4 weeks after having seen everyone play, I really like the way the Raiders play. That match against the Tigers is what really hooked me. So I lean toward them right now. I like the way the Storm play too but I really didn't want to "choose" the front runner.

unforgiven

Bench
Bengals! I'm a Browns supporter since 1986. Eagles too. It's been brutal but things are looking up.

I wouldn't say that I've "chosen" a team to support just yet. I tend to start with the team that won it the year I was born and follow that team (Bunnies). But I have to say that over the last 3-4 weeks after having seen everyone play, I really like the way the Raiders play. That match against the Tigers is what really hooked me. So I lean toward them right now. I like the way the Storm play too but I really didn't want to "choose" the front runner.

My one and only NFL game that I have attended was the season opener in 2011 of Browns and Bengals in Cleveland. Being a Browns fan would be a tough gig, I found their season of Hardknocks to be extremely interesting last year and things are definitely looking up for them this season, in saying that they swept the Bengals last year. I have a little curse on Baker Mayfield and hope he struggles in his second season.

I can't stand your your current preferences in NRL teams lol,I'm a Tigers fan so the Raiders hurt. Not only this year but they beat one half of the Tigers merger, the Balmain Tiger in the Grand Final back in 1989, so they can never be forgiven!

There is currently a former League player called Valentine Holmes who is part of the International Pathways program in the NFL and was just assigned to the New York Giants. The Eagles also last year drafted a former Rabbitohs player in Jordan Mailata who is an OT but he is yet to play.

Ballgame59

Juniors
My one and only NFL game that I have attended was the season opener in 2011 of Browns and Bengals in Cleveland. Being a Browns fan would be a tough gig, I found their season of Hardknocks to be extremely interesting last year and things are definitely looking up for them this season, in saying that they swept the Bengals last year. I have a little curse on Baker Mayfield and hope he struggles in his second season.

I can't stand your your current preferences in NRL teams lol,I'm a Tigers fan so the Raiders hurt. Not only this year but they beat one half of the Tigers merger, the Balmain Tiger in the Grand Final back in 1989, so they can never be forgiven!

There is currently a former League player called Valentine Holmes who is part of the International Pathways program in the NFL and was just assigned to the New York Giants. The Eagles also last year drafted a former Rabbitohs player in Jordan Mailata who is an OT but he is yet to play.

I know about Jordan Mailata but didn't know about Holmes. That's pretty cool.
I really don't see Mayfield having a great season this year myself. Sophomore slump?
I do follow the Buccaneers as I live about 25 minutes from the stadium. I go to games occasionally but it's just so friggin' hot. It's gotta be a night game in December for me to get excited about going.
I gotta ask - how did you become a Bengals supporter?

Not sure if you follow baseball at all but I used to work for the Tampa Bay Rays Grounds Crew for 6 years. I'm a massive - MASSIVE baseball fan so it was a dream job!
Starting next spring, I am going to go over to my local semi-pro rugby team and ask if they need any volunteer help. Water boy, equipment fella. Anything! I just want to get involved more in the sport.

Also - how can I get this thread posted back to the main NRL forum? Is there a way to contact a moderator?

unforgiven

Bench
I really don't see Mayfield having a great season this year myself. Sophomore slump?
I do follow the Buccaneers as I live about 25 minutes from the stadium. I go to games occasionally but it's just so friggin' hot. It's gotta be a night game in December for me to get excited about going.

Not sure if you follow baseball at all but I used to work for the Tampa Bay Rays Grounds Crew for 6 years. I'm a massive - MASSIVE baseball fan so it was a dream job!
Starting next spring, I am going to go over to my local semi-pro rugby team and ask if they need any volunteer help. Water boy, equipment fella. Anything! I just want to get involved more in the sport.

Also - how can I get this thread posted back to the main NRL forum? Is there a way to contact a moderator?

We also had Jarryd Hayne play for the 49ers, he had a good preseason and played a few NFL games as a punt returner but he dropped his 1st punt in a season game and was moved quickly to the practice squad. He is a little bit taboo over here now after getting in trouble with the police both in the US and when he got back home here.

Its a bit of a long story to me becoming a Bengals fan. As a kid in the 80's I used to watch a weekly NFL review show here in Australia that was hosted by an American entertainer who had a pretty big career here called Don Lane. I didn't really follow any team closely but the Cowboys were featured heavily on this show. When the Madden came out around 1990 I made my parents drive me an hour each way to buy it, when it came to choosing a side to play as a chose the Bengals as it is close to the Tigers. There was also a bit of synergy between the the teams with the Balmain Tigers losing the Grand Final in 88 and 89 and the Bengals losing the Superbowl in the same years. During the 90's my only interaction with the Bengals was playing Madden and checking the scores in the paper, The Bengals were rubbish in the 90's so I didn't miss much. With the introduction of the internet it became easier to follow the scores and see highlights of the games, once we got pay tv and started getting the odd game shown over here was great but rarely got to see Bengals games. I started downloading games around 2005 and my ticket to Bengal fandom was sealed forever. I now watch 3-4 games a week and never miss a Bengals game. In 2011 I traveled to the US for the Pearl Jam 20th anniversary music festival and made sure to stay long enough to catch the season opener between the Brown and Bengals which will always be a sporting highlight of my life. My fandom for the Bengals now rivals my fandom for the Wests Tigers.

As an American I'd guess you would find the make up the NRL a little strange with the majority of NRL sides residing in one city?

My Suburb, Penrith now has an American football team and I wish it was formed a little earlier as I would have loved to try the game, but a little late now as a 40 year old. It is great to hear that you are looking to get involved in the game! If you have any questions about the game feel free to ask.

adamkungl

Immortal
Hi and welcome. Here is your LU welcome pack:

1 x f**ker you've never heard of.
1 x Jar of plod.
1 x random Kungl alt (collect them all!)
1 x relocation to Perth
1 x bunch of unruffled jimmies
1 x bitter pill*
Lifetime supply of lol@50uff$

*(On the unlikely chance you're not a Brisbane Broncos fan or you know someone who isn't, this pill will give them a sense of jealousy, referee anxiety and paranoia, irrational obsession with Friday nights, more jealousy, a sense that the Super League title "doesn't count", the false conviction that Johns > Lockyer and a whole lot more jealousy.)
This is definetly your best alt Adam

Cheers lads good to know there's some recognition for putting in the hard yards

Ballgame59

Juniors
Its a bit of a long story to me becoming a Bengals fan. Great story and good on you for sticking with the Bengals. Especially with the Cowboys being so prominent. And I can certainly see the synergy. My one and only Bengals story came in the mid 2000's. I was at a Bucs/Bengals game with a buddy who has season tickets to the Bucs. A very large man wearing a Carson Palmer jersey was walking in the concourse and my very drunk buddy shouts "Hey look! Someone ate Carson Palmer!" Needless to say they fought and I never went to another game with him again haha.

As an American I'd guess you would find the make up the NRL a little strange with the majority of NRL sides residing in one city? Yeah, I thought it was weird however it's somewhat similar to Premier League (soccer) in London I guess. I've been following the Expansion thread and wondered if they'd move a team or two. I also notice that attendance seems low. Is that due to the saturation in or around Sydney?

My Suburb, Penrith now has an American football team and I wish it was formed a little earlier as I would have loved to try the game, but a little late now as a 40 year old. It is great to hear that you are looking to get involved in the game! If you have any questions about the game feel free to ask. Definitely. I was asked to come out and play on the Old Boys touch rugby side once I turned 50 (I'm 51 now). I think that I'd rather support at this point however I would consider it once I shed about 10 pounds lol.
That's awesome about the football team there. Is American football catching on? That would be pretty nice.

I thought I read that they were going to do a Magic round to start the season here in the States some year.

I also wanted to say that NFLers could really use some tackling advice from NRL players.

jaseg

Juniors
You're a Browns fan? I like you already.

With Baker & crew (bite your tongue, he's going to be great in 2019 :p) looking likely to bring back good times, you might be looking to get your despair fix here: I would suggest the Warriors.

Xcalibre

Juniors

Welcome mate. There seems to be very little interest for mlb on LU but I'm pretty keen on it, depending how good my Phillies are going. Iirc they have spring training near TB in Clearwater. There is a thread about mlb in ‘other sports’ forum I think. Will be happy to chat about it there. I’ve paid more attention this season than any previously, particularly to the rest of the teams, but have been following since the early 90s.

Ballgame59

Juniors
Welcome mate. There seems to be very little interest for mlb on LU but I'm pretty keen on it, depending how good my Phillies are going. Iirc they have spring training near TB in Clearwater. There is a thread about mlb in ‘other sports’ forum I think. Will be happy to chat about it there. I’ve paid more attention this season than any previously, particularly to the rest of the teams, but have been following since the early 90s.

Thanks! While I'm not a fan of the Phillies, I am a BIG fan of the stadium in Clearwater. I live about 20 minutes from it and have had many a pint there!