What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The pay gap

roughyedspud

Coach
Number of games that you play doesn't depend on what "tier" you are,you can play as many as you want to arrange!

And "tiers" have nothing to do with world cup seeding lol

Match payments is nothing to do with "tiers" either...players get paid what the NGB can afford to pay them

Who writes this shit

There isn't a tier system it's just a different way of saying the big three then everyone else..

Last edited:

deluded pom?

Coach
Where do Tonga think their players or their money for player pay will come from if they were to achieve tier 1 status? Tier 1 status is probably the last thing they want.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
If a team becomes Tier 1, do they lose access to their Origin players?

The rule is that players cannot jump between tier 1 teams. Does Origin automatically link players to Australia as the Tier 1 choice?

deluded pom?

Coach

The rule is that players cannot jump between tier 1 teams. Does Origin automatically link players to Australia as the Tier 1 choice?
IMO yes. That article was basically rubbish but one thing they got right was that players cannot move between tier 1 nations.

adamkungl

Immortal
Nonsense article..

Being "promoted" to tier 1 would send Tonga right back to minnow status. Their entire player development pathway is to poach players from NZ and Aus.

There are ZERO benefits to being "tier 1".

Pommy

Coach

Not automatically but the Australian selectors want Origin to act as a trial for the kangaroos. The RLIF don’t care about origin but if players are not eligible for Australia under the current origin ethos they won’t be getting picked.
But that could be changed whenever Australia feels like it.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Thought this was going to be a nonsensical Women's Soccer World Cup thread demanding equal pay despite not attracting anywhere near the revenue.

But I just needed to exchange 'Women's Soccer World Cup' with 'Tongan'

LittleWayne

Juniors
Thought this was going to be a nonsensical Women's Soccer World Cup thread demanding equal pay despite not attracting anywhere near the revenue.

But I just needed to exchange 'Women's Soccer World Cup' with 'Tongan'

You know nothing about US football then.

Nonsensical post.

Springs09

Juniors
Representing your country should be a source of pride, not a source of payment.

The only thing these ridiculous $20,000 payments to Kangaroos have done is cause the NRL to say they can't afford to play more tests. Well lower the match payments then you morons. Any player who won't play for their national side because they aren't receiving thousands of dollars for the privilege shouldn't be picked anyway.

Matua

Bench
Probably explains it, they are getting shafted despite it being their fans buying tickets.

https://www.tvnz.co.nz/one-news/spo...ouncil-hit-exploitation-fans-after-kiwis-test
This is already being discussed in another thread - it was pointed out by one poster that the guy from this council is not representative of anything really. And I pointed out that these 'fans' are New Zealanders, living and working in New Zealand and attending a match in New Zealand with New Zealand infrastructure.

https://forums.leagueunlimited.com/threads/where-now-for-tonga.476326/page-4

Pommy

Coach
This is already being discussed in another thread - it was pointed out by one poster that the guy from this council is not representative of anything really. And I pointed out that these 'fans' are New Zealanders, living and working in New Zealand and attending a match in New Zealand with New Zealand infrastructure.

https://forums.leagueunlimited.com/threads/where-now-for-tonga.476326/page-4

With players being developed in New Zealand. Tonga are really contributing very little, I know that will upset some people

Matua

Bench
With players being developed in New Zealand. Tonga are really contributing very little, I know that will upset some people
I think that for all international games that players should be paid the same - just split a pot between both teams.

I'm not too fussed where players are developed. Lots of the Tongan team are Aussies as well as Kiwis. Also lots of Oz clubs and schools develop Kiwis too - but that's fine as they're doing it for their own reasons.

Pommy

Coach
I think that for all international games that players should be paid the same - just split a pot between both teams.

I'm not too fussed where players are developed. Lots of the Tongan team are Aussies as well as Kiwis. Also lots of Oz clubs and schools develop Kiwis too - but that's fine as they're doing it for their own reasons.

Split what pot between two? Players aren’t just being paid from the gate receipts.

adamkungl

Immortal
Pay for international games is a super complex issue really.

I think most would agree that players should be paid an amount proportional to the profits generated by the international game.
BUT investment in the game should be considered more important than paying players.
ALSO what if a game (or season) takes a surprise loss? Do players then not get paid? That's not feasible either.
Some of the profits from big draw matches should subsidise smaller ones to assist nations outside the big 3 growing the game.

Basing funding on tiers is very shaky ground. It results in nations like Tonga pushing to elevate up to tier 1 when the reality is it would cripple them.

There's also a difference between RLIF tournaments and bilateral tests/tours. Central funding doesnt really work for a Kangaroo tour for example.

I think
For RLIF tournaments, participating teams should be given a central funding pot to cover costs and player payments. This should be budgeted and accounted for as a proportion of the tournaments forecast profits. Participating teams should be given an equal amount for equal tournament standing. Ie. every team in the A tournament receives the same amount, but the A teams get more than the B teams.
Lets take a wild (probably very wild) guess,
$400,000 per team (approx $20,000 per player for 2 weeks salary and running costs) for the A tournament teams.
$250,000 per team for the B tournament.
Any extra player payments covered by individual nations sponsorships or revenue streams.
This is probably what has already happened with the Oceania Cup.
I reckon the transition from NRL backed 4Nations to RLIF-backed has resulted in them needing to keep costs down in the first years to ensure the tournament's profitability. More games means more overheads means more risk.

For tours, nations organise their finances as they see fit.
Player payments should be balanced somewhere between making it worth their while, and giving us the best possible series of matches.
The Kangaroo tour may see Australia taking the lions share of the profits, thats fine. Its on England and any other participating nations to ensure they get a fair deal. And if we want a game of France v Kangaroos for example, France have to propose a deal to ensure its profitability, or the Kangaroos have to take a small financial hit for the good of the game. Which leads us to the likely situation where the Kangaroos won't bother, unfortunately. If players were paid $10k per game instead of $20k, we'd be far more likely to get games v France and Wales and a longer tour. But the RLPA probably limits the Kangaroos ability to adjust player payments. The players demanding to be paid less is currently the only way we get more games on a tour like this. There's limited TV value in Aus to a game vs France at 4 in the morning.

Latest posts