What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Non-eels footy stuff

Gronk

Staff member
Apart from one origin game, is there any evidence that Latrell is weak minded ? IIRC he's only 22 FFS.

Apart from one origin game, is there any evidence that Latrell is weak minded ? IIRC he's only 22 FFS.
From what I've read, he has a lot of turmoil in his personal life atm. He will probably move past that at some point in time and become the player he once was.

Gronk

Staff member
https://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/g...s/news-story/d25518cecdd18a4c371ffd8935ad675b

A disease linked to repeated concussions in American sport has been found in the brains of two former Australian rugby league players.

The discovery is the first time Chronic Traumatic Encephalopathy — or CTE — has been identified in an NRL athlete.

I wonder what happened to that Brett Horsnell claim, first published in May 2017 ? He claimed that he had CTE.

https://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/b...s/news-story/ce6224d00338fa39fed03da105bcf51d

https://www.theaustralian.com.au/sp...s/news-story/b4225b0b0ade8d565ca1005b095b1d14

Gronk

Staff member
This clip from a NZ rag has named the players who have been diagnosed or who are claiming to have CTE.

Two former top-flight rugby league players have launched legal action against their old clubs over the handling of head knocks, led by former NSW and Newcastle winger James McManus. He's arguing the Knights were negligent in their treatment of a series of concussions that prematurely ended his career.

The other is former Gold Coast Giants, South Queensland Crushers and Parramatta Eels player Brett Horsnell.

Former Sharks forward Reece Williams earlier this year dropped his own lawsuit against one of the most respected sports doctors in the country, Bulldogs medico and former Cronulla staffer David Givney. Williams was forced to retire at the age of 25 after a serious head knock.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/leagu...ked-by-first-proof-of-former-players-with-cte

Kornstar

Coach
I'm still baffled how you can play such a high impact sport and smash your head to pieces for a large majority of your life and not think you aren't doing damage?

Especially some of the things they used to do to each others from the 90's backwards.......

Gronk

Staff member
I'm still baffled how you can play such a high impact sport and smash your head to pieces for a large majority of your life and not think you aren't doing damage?

Especially some of the things they used to do to each others from the 90's backwards.......

There is a test case in negligence that says ..

An employer owes a non-delegable duty of care to its employees to take reasonable care to avoid exposing them to unnecessary risks of injury. If there is a real risk of an injury to an employee in the performance of a task in a workplace, the employer must take reasonable care to avoid the risk by devising a method of operation for the performance of the task that eliminates the risk, or by the provision of adequate safeguards. The employer must take into account the possibility of thoughtlessness, or inadvertence, or carelessness, particularly in a case of repetitive work.

Will be interesting where this ends up. The merkins from FoxSports last night were suggesting that the NRL were confident that they have acted with due haste to minimise injury and to protect the players as best they could, as new medical information was made available to them.

IIRC the reason why the NFL lost their case was because they concealed and failed to act even after they were presented with evidence that their players were exposed to permanent brain injuries.

strider

Post Whore
You should try out for upcoming NRL referee positions.
Im not saying he did nothing ... but i am gob smacked at the outrage when the others earlier this year were worse ... i think the still pic being shown is misleading .... mcguire and that raiders dude stuck their fingers in and ripped around ... burgess put straight fingers into the bone above the eye - not good and suspension worthy but different