What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game Future NRL Stadiums part II

https://www.smh.com.au/politics/nsw...ose-2021-nrl-grand-final-20190619-p51z7s.html

Australian Rugby League Commission boss Peter Beattie has left open the possibility of moving the 2021 NRL grand final interstate due to delays to the upgrade of Sydney’s ANZ Stadium.

The NSW government and the NRL agreed last year to keep the grand final in Sydney until 2042 under the proviso the state upgrade its stadiums.

However, Mr Beattie, the ARLC chairman, on Wednesday said a six-month delay to the completion of ANZ Stadium’s $810 million upgrade had complicated the matter.

“If they want to put a proposal into (NRL chief executive) Todd Greenberg and I for 2021, go for it.”

Responding to Mr Beattie's comments, NSW Premier Gladys Berejiklian said "good luck to them".

"NSW is not the premier state for nothing," she said.

Mr Beattie stressed NSW was in the box position to retain the major sporting event because of the existing deal.

“In this business, if you don’t honour your word, you’re not worth a cracker,” he said.

“Our first obligation is to honour your word, talk to the NSW government first, if at the end there is no agreement, then obviously there’s possibilities for Suncorp (in Brisbane) and also for Melbourne.”

0d69651e5b8e6d198c2a95022d2ad909c7dbc465

The Sydney Roosters after the 2018 NRL grand final.CREDIT:AAP

A spokesman for NSW Sports Minister John Sidoti referred questions over Mr Beattie's comments to Ms Berejiklian's response, saying the Premier had "summed it up perfectly".

Timbo

Staff member
https://www.smh.com.au/politics/nsw...ose-2021-nrl-grand-final-20190619-p51z7s.html

Australian Rugby League Commission boss Peter Beattie has left open the possibility of moving the 2021 NRL grand final interstate due to delays to the upgrade of Sydney’s ANZ Stadium.

The NSW government and the NRL agreed last year to keep the grand final in Sydney until 2042 under the proviso the state upgrade its stadiums.

However, Mr Beattie, the ARLC chairman, on Wednesday said a six-month delay to the completion of ANZ Stadium’s $810 million upgrade had complicated the matter.

“If they want to put a proposal into (NRL chief executive) Todd Greenberg and I for 2021, go for it.”

Responding to Mr Beattie's comments, NSW Premier Gladys Berejiklian said "good luck to them".

"NSW is not the premier state for nothing," she said.

Mr Beattie stressed NSW was in the box position to retain the major sporting event because of the existing deal.

“In this business, if you don’t honour your word, you’re not worth a cracker,” he said.

“Our first obligation is to honour your word, talk to the NSW government first, if at the end there is no agreement, then obviously there’s possibilities for Suncorp (in Brisbane) and also for Melbourne.”

0d69651e5b8e6d198c2a95022d2ad909c7dbc465

The Sydney Roosters after the 2018 NRL grand final.CREDIT:AAP

A spokesman for NSW Sports Minister John Sidoti referred questions over Mr Beattie's comments to Ms Berejiklian's response, saying the Premier had "summed it up perfectly".

Just exactly how senile is Peter Beattie at this point?

“In this business, if you don’t honour your word, you’re not worth a cracker”

He's phrasing it like the NSW government made a handshake deal at the pub to keep the grand finals. There is no way they dropped $2bn on something without having it contractually iron clad that the game wasn't going anywhere.

He's phrasing it like the NSW government made a handshake deal at the pub to keep the grand finals. There is no way they dropped $2bn on something without having it contractually iron clad that the game wasn't going anywhere.
hes the female version of Aunty Raelne Castle

I meant slightly bigger say 48 or 50k, that I thought was the original plan.

There was a plan around 5 years ago for it to be 55-60k, over on the kippax lake sight. But I don’t see the point of anything higher, in fact I think it should’ve been smaller. It rarely gets more than 30k as is.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade

Think about who he is speaking TO....

He is explaining it to the fans through morning tv, hardly the place for long, businessy sounding words.

He is actually doing a good job giving context to the fans, "NSW will probably keep it since we have this big agreement already in place that we dont want to break. But the is wiggle-room in there that doesnt break the agreement, we'll keep you posted..."

Quidgybo

Bench

NQ fly through
I notice in that flythru, although hard to pick up, there’s a nice big tree beside the score board. I think that’d be a really cool touch if they planted a couple North Sydney Oval style massive trees at that end, inside the the stadium perimeter, that general admission patrons could climb on and still see the game. No idea what sort of trees are appropriate for Townsville (despite spending 20 years there, I’m no horticulturist), how easy it is to acquire and move mature age trees that size or how long it’d take to grow naturally to any decadent size. Just think it’d add a nice distinctive bit of character to the venue.

Leigh.

unforgiven

Bench
I notice in that flythru, although hard to pick up, there’s a nice big tree beside the score board. I think that’d be a really cool touch if they planted a couple North Sydney Oval style massive trees at that end, inside the the stadium perimeter, that general admission patrons could climb on and still see the game. No idea what sort of trees are appropriate for Townsville (despite spending 20 years there, I’m no horticulturist), how easy it is to acquire and move mature age trees that size or how long it’d take to grow naturally to any decadent size. Just think it’d add a nice distinctive bit of character to the venue.

Leigh.
With the current over safety conscious society I doubt that is going to happen!

I really like the raised sides at Optus stadium, it’s something we should’ve done here in Sydney. Gives the front row a good view still. (I know it’s raised on one side at BankWest)

A46E20C2-A85A-474A-A423-D570FC30076F.jpeg

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
I really like the raised sides at Optus stadium, it’s something we should’ve done here in Sydney. Gives the front row a good view still. (I know it’s raised on one side at BankWest)

View attachment 30814

It blows my mind that this have never been done here. It is what they do in nearly every NFL stadium with great effect....

It doesnt seem like it would be THAT hard do add to the design and it would really impove the view in some areas.

VictoryFC

Bench
It blows my mind that this have never been done here. It is what they do in nearly every NFL stadium with great effect....

It doesnt seem like it would be THAT hard do add to the design and it would really impove the view in some areas.

In the NFL they have to do it. There are hundreds of people standing in the way and obstructing the field for the front rows.

I agree it should be done in Australia too to improve the view of spectators, but that's more of a design choice than necessity.

Diesel

Coach
Wellington’s Westpac Stadium has a similar if not higher elevation to Optus and that stadium was constructed in 1998/99

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
I still feel like NQ’s is behind schedule.

Its always hard to tell...

The longest period is always setting the foundations, and its pretty amazing how quickly things start to shoot upwards.

But, i dont think the gov will be announcing delays just yet, so maybe you are right.

Latest posts