What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
Keep Gowie and Stone. The others can f**k off!

Definitely stone. But let Gower retire, yeah he is going good, but he is 35 next year and may just be on a big decline over the next 12 months.

I wouId keep Hoffman for the right price and back up, still only 32 next year and playing ok. He provides cover for fullback/winger/centre, we don’t really have any other back up that can do that. It’s good to bring in juniors but still need to keep some experience and he also seems to be a good role model too.

Also depending what Alvaro / Gower do, Mannah for another year on a fair contract may not be the worse option. We still have spots available to bring in some new players but we also need back ups, and Mannah would be a good option as a back up.

Yes we are remodeling the squad but got to be careful not to let to much experience leave - still valuable in an nrl squad whether as a top 17 player or as a back up.

Gronk

Staff member
The options are simple for Lodge. Sign with the Eels and return home to Sydney to be around family. Sign with the Warriors, who are believed to have offered the biggest contract, and allow his partner to be around her father (Warriors recruitment manager Peter O'Sullivan).

Or remain loyal to the club that gave him an opportunity to resurrect his career and start a new life.

remote.axd

https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/06/27/lodge-peachey-could-move-as-silly-season-heats-up/

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Hoffman is a keeper for mine, even if only for a 1 year extension, although he may want more than 1 year.

He's been good back up imo.

Stone would surely be re-signed.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
I love Gowie and he has been great but I still wouldn’t give him another season, let him go out still playing well. But I would give the merkin a job for life at the club if he wants it. Fantastic person and great role model for the young blokes coming through at the club.

I'd re-sign Gower, Hoffman and Stone straight up. Good benchies/back-ups.

The others I would wait and see how our external signings go. They'd all be decent back-ups but nothing more. Would prefer external replacements but one or two will do if we can't get quality.

Soren Lorenson

First Grade
The options are simple for Lodge. Sign with the Eels and return home to Sydney to be around family. Sign with the Warriors, who are believed to have offered the biggest contract, and allow his partner to be around her father (Warriors recruitment manager Peter O'Sullivan).

Or remain loyal to the club that gave him an opportunity to resurrect his career and start a new life.

remote.axd

https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/06/27/lodge-peachey-could-move-as-silly-season-heats-up/
Also from the same article re Aaron wood's new baby;

Woods and his partner Sarah welcomed their first child into the world earlier in the month, Buster Bruce Woods.

Chipmunk

Coach

remote.axd

Doesn't O'Sullivan go out with Foran's mother or something?

I guess if Lodge stays in Brisbane, his partner gets to hang out with her brother.

Where is Lodge's partners mother in all of this?? Doesn't she count???

Glenneel

Bench
NSW Waratahs close to signing Parramatta prop and former schoolboy rugby star Tepai Moeroa

https://thewest.com.au/sport/parram...ai-moeroa-ng-37bee15340dcbe304e6d5d122ec1aa3a
Sounds like a real good cleanout of all the deadwood on the way. Should have plenty of money to sign a couple good props.

As stated previously the difference between us being top 8 and bottom 8 imo now is a couple of decent props and a decent defensive coach. Our backline with Blake included has to be close to one of the best, just need the right forwards to harness their full potential.

Gronk

Staff member
Sounds like a real good cleanout of all the deadwood on the way. Should have plenty of money to sign a couple good props.

As stated previously the difference between us being top 8 and bottom 8 imo now is a couple of decent props and a decent defensive coach. Our backline with Blake included has to be close to one of the best, just need the right forwards to harness their full potential.

How can you say that we are "cleaning out the deadwood", when we have made an offer to Tepai ?

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/it...ory-with-youth-detainees-20190627-p5221a.html
Tepai Moeroa also has an offer on the table, but is considering a switch back to rugby.

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
I love Gowie and he has been great but I still wouldn’t give him another season, let him go out still playing well. But I would give the merkin a job for life at the club if he wants it. Fantastic person and great role model for the young blokes coming through at the club.
Agree. Keep him involved off the field if possible but move him out of the squad before the inevitable decline.

Glenneel

Bench
Definitely stone. But let Gower retire, yeah he is going good, but he is 35 next year and may just be on a big decline over the next 12 months.

I wouId keep Hoffman for the right price and back up, still only 32 next year and playing ok. He provides cover for fullback/winger/centre, we don’t really have any other back up that can do that. It’s good to bring in juniors but still need to keep some experience and he also seems to be a good role model too.

Also depending what Alvaro / Gower do, Mannah for another year on a fair contract may not be the worse option. We still have spots available to bring in some new players but we also need back ups, and Mannah would be a good option as a back up.

Yes we are remodeling the squad but got to be careful not to let to much experience leave - still valuable in an nrl squad whether as a top 17 player or as a back up.
Think Parry has played fullback/winger/centre so could be cover for those positions.

What has happened to Salmon? Trained as a centre in off season and still can't get a run there with MJ injured. Played his best game v Broncos and on bench for Raiders game as cover for Drown I assume.

Glenneel

Bench
How can you say that we are "cleaning out the deadwood", when we have made an offer to Tepai ?

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/it...ory-with-youth-detainees-20190627-p5221a.html
Tepai Moeroa also has an offer on the table, but is considering a switch back to rugby.
Tepai could only be considered a backup for injuries and I'm assuming our offer reflects that, much less than currently being paid. Need some experienced backups but the club not fussed if goes or stays but only stays at low salary. Still a cleanout imo.

greena

Juniors
Don't kinow what all the love is for Stone. He has not impressed me on the occassions i have seen him play. Lookis ok in Canterbury Cup trhats about his level

Gronk

Staff member
Tepai could only be considered a backup for injuries and I'm assuming our offer reflects that, much less than currently being paid. Need some experienced backups but the club not fussed if goes or stays but only stays at low salary. Still a cleanout imo.

Tepai is only outside the 17 because Gower is in terrific form. Your assertion that he has been offered a reduced salary is made up in an attempt to strengthen your argument. He is still only 23 and has played 101 FG games FFS. You can't manufacture that experience and there would few on the market who could equal it.

It IS possible that the Eels are taking a cautious approach with his head injuries and the length of his next contract could be impacted with this approach.

If he can continue to play at a high level and not be hampered by concussion, then he would continue to be a great addition to our squad IMHO.

Latest posts