What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 ratings

tri_colours

Juniors
Evidence? Their tv deal increased significantly post expansion. No doubt the extra content contributed.

What Are you on about?
AFL house have a long history of , half truths, exaggerations and corruption. There whole idea is not to provide proof .

Our TV deal also had a big increase, I'm pretty sure our increase was bigger than their's , And it didn't include expansion.

Without having any PROOF, I think it would be pretty safe to assume that broadcasting the Suns and GWS on TV each week actually costs Ch. 7 money.

Last edited:

Starkers

Bench
how does this stack up with Game II last year, anyone know?

the blowout didn't help, but I still thought it was entertaining. highest ratings in perf ever though:
keen to see the full breakdown.

user_nat

Coach
Was 2.1 metro last year. Can't see the final total with regionals included though. Would have to be more than this year though.

Usain Bolt

Bench
2018 Origin Ratings

Game 1 - 3.45

Game 2 - 3.16

Game 3 - 2.68

3.16 was the rating last year.

Game 1 and 2 both down on last years figures but game 3 being a decider will be up on last years dead rubber

DC_fan

Coach
A couple of months back I was on my way home on a train and I overheard a couple of tradies talking about football. Both would have been in their early 30s and they looked and sounded like what you would call the typical football follower. They followed Sydney teams, however, they did not attend games. Maybe family comments such as having young children got in the way. What surprised me was that while once they watched football on TV they no longer do that. They would rather watch a movie.

Do people still have the need to meet their football fix by watching games either at the ground or on TV. Or, do they do it in other ways? I know some people who just get score updates and never watch a game.

Last edited:

Starkers

Bench
Good result for a bludger of a game Dragons v Cows. Other game a strong result for a 2 point 2nd half.

Stallion

First Grade
A couple of months back I was on my way home on a train and I overheard a couple of tradies talking about football. Both would have been in their early 30s and they looked and sounded like what you would call the typical football follower. They followed Sydney teams, however, they did not attend games. Maybe family comments such as having young children got in the way. What surprised me was that while once they watched football on TV they no longer do that. They would rather watch a movie.

Do people still have the need to meet their football fix by watching games either at the ground or on TV. Or, do they do it in other ways? I know some people who just get score updates and never watch a game.

Fair call. Went to the Knights game last night with some 18/19 year olds and they had not been to the footy since they were about 8 years old. They enjoyed the game. I mentioned I had just bought grandfinal tickets. And they asked where was it at? I told them the Olympic stadium and they thought it was under redevelopment construction. So their are casual fans and they are deciphering many mixed messages in the media which does/can confuse and misinform the "casual" fan. But your observation is valid. Different ways of viewing or relating to the code are growing. The aim being for these differing means to work toward the same result. Genuine interest and enjoyment.

What Are you on about?
AFL house have a long history of , half truths, exaggerations and corruption. There whole idea is not to provide proof .

Our TV deal also had a big increase, I'm pretty sure our increase was bigger than their's , And it didn't include expansion.

Without having any PROOF, I think it would be pretty safe to assume that broadcasting the Suns and GWS on TV each week actually costs Ch. 7 money.
You are being very kind to Vicky Kicky house when you say they have a long history of half truths, exaggerations and corruption. I would say far less than that.
I think they have read that quote from Josef Goebbles which is "Repeat a lie long enough and often enough and the people will believe it" Certainly a majority of fumbleball fans believe all the propaganda that comes out of Vicky Kicky house.

DC_fan

Coach
Fair call. Went to the Knights game last night with some 18/19 year olds and they had not been to the footy since they were about 8 years old. They enjoyed the game. I mentioned I had just bought grandfinal tickets. And they asked where was it at? I told them the Olympic stadium and they thought it was under redevelopment construction. So their are casual fans and they are deciphering many mixed messages in the media which does/can confuse and misinform the "casual" fan. But your observation is valid. Different ways of viewing or relating to the code are growing. The aim being for these differing means to work toward the same result. Genuine interest and enjoyment.

One problem that all sports have, or will have in the near future is how diverse the media landscape has become. Where once you received your sports news/coverage through the 'old media' of newspapers, radio or TV, today you can add a number of new and different sources to that list. Some of which are reliable and some of which are not. Which and what type of source will work best for each sport will be up to each sport to work out. A problem for sports will not only be to capture new fans but also to hold them. What will work for one demographic may not work for another. In other word the NRL should not forget about the 'old media' which some fans still available themselves to, especially TV. But, at the same time they need to remember that not many young people read the paper or listen to the radio. And not a lot of young people watch the nightly news either. Young people like to get their news, be it sport or otherwise from other sources then the 'old media.'

My concern with people moving away from watching the game either on TV/streaming or live at the ground takes away the opportunity of building a close relationship with players, clubs and the game in general. If you just look at a sport as something you read about, then how is that different to reading a book of fiction. Does sport become fiction? Does following a sport move away from the real world into the realm of novel reading, where an author picks which team will win the grand final.

Stallion

First Grade
One problem that all sports have, or will have in the near future is how diverse the media landscape has become. Where once you received your sports news/coverage through the 'old media' of newspapers, radio or TV, today you can add a number of new and different sources to that list. Some of which are reliable and some of which are not. Which and what type of source will work best for each sport will be up to each sport to work out. A problem for sports will not only be to capture new fans but also to hold them. What will work for one demographic may not work for another. In other word the NRL should not forget about the 'old media' which some fans still available themselves to, especially TV. But, at the same time they need to remember that not many young people read the paper or listen to the radio. And not a lot of young people watch the nightly news either. Young people like to get their news, be it sport or otherwise from other sources then the 'old media.'

My concern with people moving away from watching the game either on TV/streaming or live at the ground takes away the opportunity of building a close relationship with players, clubs and the game in general. If you just look at a sport as something you read about, then how is that different to reading a book of fiction. Does sport become fiction? Does following a sport move away from the real world into the realm of novel reading, where an author picks which team will win the grand final.

A valid concern. Which is why universal access to all schooling is so important for the code of rugby league. Think we both agree it's a superior code of football. However it is being constrained and contained by little or no access to elite private schools (particularly in NSW) and schooling in other areas around the world. This is where rugby league needs to target it's growth prospects. Atm other codes have much more universal presence than rugby league. For instance the use of leaguetag in schools that shy away from rugby league could give such kids a brief introduction/taste of rugby league. This flows into a possible interest in rugby league as time goes on. It's so dissappointing that touch football has lost a number of crucial rugby league type rules such as 'playing the ball' etc. (this would have given rugby league far greater presence /influence than we are now witnessing.)

betcats

Referee

Used to watch multiple games a week, now I don't. I am 29, all my friends are in the same boat. League is becoming harder to watch. The rucks are so shit to watch now, half the game is watching guys wrestle each other. Its a defensive game nowadays which is not good for spectating. The tactic of slowing down the ruck at all costs should of been stomped out ten years ago, now they are gutless to do it so we are stuck watching the same old defensive battles over and over, coaches emphasise getting through your sets with high completion rates, winning the field position battle etc its all conservative, boring league.

Latest posts