What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rabbitohs rumours, signings, injuries etc

Spot On

Coach
Gagai has been one of the best centres in the game this year, averages over 5 tackle breaks per game and over 100m per game. Get off the drugs R20 mate. We have needed a good centre ever since Walker left and now we have one.

I miss this type of insightful view on RL.

Spot On

Coach
From prior post...

"It appears the club has, in fact, loaned the beach out, to Ponga, and that will now make it extremely difficult to re-sign some of the talents they’ve unearthed this year, such as Jaelen Feeney, Lachlan Fitzgibbon and Luke Yates.

“We can’t go offering crazy amounts of money. If they get injured or don’t perform, we never move forward as a club.”

Presumably much like you are now, as I’d finished reading Gidley’s quote, I sat up in my chair and contemplated whether I had, in fact, got rugby league wrong all these years.

After all, this was coming straight from the hole in the face of the boss of one of the League’s 16 clubs. I thought for a while, but I was certain I hadn’t.

No, it’s one thing to let his club’s favourite son depart without having even entertained the money he was worth for the coming seasons. That’s a matter of Gidley’s integrity.

How he concluded, though, that it was not crazy to offer a $3 million contract to an 18-year-old player who’d played 2 career games for North Queensland, a full 15 months before the start of his 2018 season with the club, is staggering.

As I mentioned earlier, loyalty is borderline radioactive in professional sports these days. Clubs have to do what’s best for clubs, and players for players.

The result Newcastle managed with Dane Gagai this year was best for no one. A boy who loved his club was forced out through shameful player and financial mismanagement, and both the club and player is worse off.

They almost lost another club favourite in Nathan Ross, who only stayed through the taking of a massive pay cut to be at an organisation who would’ve had little to no misgivings seeing him walk.

In the end, the lack personal care, the fiscal irresponsibility, all of it will come around. This will all come to roost for the Knights, and it all started when they tried to swindle an honest young man out of what he was worth."

Gold Sara. Gold.

And to think that, in fact, you had 'got rugby league wrong all these years'.

This is up there with I Bleed Maroon's famous quote and shall live in LU history for ever more.

Jaelene Feeney. FFS.

Last edited:

handyman2190

Bench
Looks like George could be out for quite some time. One of the most dog acts I have ever seen in Rugby League.

Judiciary Update - Round 15: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2019/06/28/judiciary-update---round-15/

George Burgess referred straight to judiciary: https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/06/28/round-15-charges-george-burgess-referred-straight-to-judiciary/

Im not sticking up for him so dont get me wrong, but, noone should put their hand on a players head/ face, we see it done regularly, especially when getting up off the tackle, georges gouge, he had his hand on robbies face, he wasn't actually digging or pushing it in his eye like a corkscrew type action. I say he placed it in the wrong place,if you check out the tackle i dont think george knew where his hand or fingers were, there is a chance he didnt mean for his finger to poke the eye. Which is why anyone palming another player should be penalised and binned. Other grubs are fined. He will cop it id say 5 weeks, and i dont think after this failure of a season bennett will want to sign him, and its his own fault.

RAB-161

Juniors
Im not sticking up for him so dont get me wrong, but, noone should put their hand on a players head/ face, we see it done regularly, especially when getting up off the tackle, georges gouge, he had his hand on robbies face, he wasn't actually digging or pushing it in his eye like a corkscrew type action. I say he placed it in the wrong place,if you check out the tackle i dont think george knew where his hand or fingers were, there is a chance he didnt mean for his finger to poke the eye. Which is why anyone palming another player should be penalised and binned. Other grubs are fined. He will cop it id say 5 weeks, and i dont think after this failure of a season bennett will want to sign him, and its his own fault.
I agree. I don't think it looked anything like an eye gouge.
It was probably stupid to have his hand on his face at all but there was nothing I saw to suggest there was an eye gouge motion.
Part of the problem with perception is that they continue to show the footage in slow motion so it looks like his hand is on his face for about 3 weeks instead of a second and a half.

callmack1

Staff member
I might look at everything with Red and green glasses but on this occasion, I can't defend George at all. To me, it looked 100% intentional and George would have known what he was doing. Even if he couldn't see, he would clearly be able to feel it was an eye socket as that is quite a unique feel. Also the fact that he held his hand there, fishing around for quite some time shows it was intentional.

It is an absolute dog act and there is no place for it in our game at all, one of the most disgraceful things I have seen on a Rugby League field. To me, it screams of someone who's mind is just not on the game anymore, someone who is just not in the game mentally. There is no toher way to explain the stupidity of it. George has been like that for most of this year and I wouldn't be surprised to see him moved on. Very, very sad.

On another note,

Brydens Lawyers Injury Update Bye Week: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2019/06/29/brydens-lawyers-injury-update-bye-week/

Souths Till I Die

First Grade
Does George Burgess come back from this? It seems a lot of fans have turned on him. Don’t get me wrong I think what he has done is disgraceful but every team has an enforcer and ours have always been the Burgess boys.

Rugby league has never been a clean game and has been always full of dirty tactics. All you have to do is look at James Graham’s cannonball tackle on Adam Reynolds. Yes, he recovered from the injury but it affected his confidence as a player for a long time.

Or what about Gallens tackle on Kyle Turner? Rugby league is a contact sport and obviously it’s a shame that George had to go ahead and do something so dirty but I find it funny when you have other team’s supporters bagging him out, asking for a season’s suspension when every team has at least one player that’s a grub. It’s a heat of the moment thing and to take it so personal like Buzz Rothfield clearly has is just laughable.

handyman2190

Bench
Does George Burgess come back from this? It seems a lot of fans have turned on him. Don’t get me wrong I think what he has done is disgraceful but every team has an enforcer and ours have always been the Burgess boys.

Rugby league has never been a clean game and has been always full of dirty tactics. All you have to do is look at James Graham’s cannonball tackle on Adam Reynolds. Yes, he recovered from the injury but it affected his confidence as a player for a long time.

Or what about Gallens tackle on Kyle Turner? Rugby league is a contact sport and obviously it’s a shame that George had to go ahead and do something so dirty but I find it funny when you have other team’s supporters bagging him out, asking for a season’s suspension when every team has at least one player that’s a grub. It’s a heat of the moment thing and to take it so personal like Buzz Rothfield clearly has is just laughable.
Apparentlyhe wont be offered a new contract, i doubt any other teams want him, he is injury riddled his hip even with that op 2 years ago isnt right, i expect to see him move to the uk superleague, shame but it is what it is,we havent seen value from him for a while.

Strong points.

Rugby League loves an enemy.

No excuse, but let’s not lose the context.

Our game is legalised assault and violence.

Needed to be an on field leader in absence of Sam and Tom.

Played shite and undisciplined.

Now faces time out.

Sammy is big on "the team"...George certainly let him down.

Travitoh

First Grade

I agree with a lot of this and believe the outrage from supporters comes from the fact it was George. If it was Sam or Sutton, there'd still be disappointment in the act but it would be played down a lot more.

I feel you're being kind labelling George an enforcer. IMO an enforcer hits hard in defence, something i wouldn't associate with George.

It's unfortunate that grubs are often described as being enforcers because imo, a true enforcer is trying to assert his dominance on an opponent, not injure them. There are very few players that i would describe as genuine enforcers in today's game as a lot lack the discipline required.

Go Bunnies

Juniors
George doesn’t seem interested in League anymore. Obviously wants to concentrate on his acting and singing career.
I thought it was strange that the club let him act in a short play and audition for a reality singing show while he was suspended for the previous eye gouge at the beginning of the season.

callmack1

Staff member
George Burgess has been found guilty at the NRL Judiciary: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2019/06/28/judiciary-update---round-15/

George Burgess handed nine-match ban: https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/07/02/george-burgess-handed-nine-match-ban/

So that's George gone for the Regular Season. Disappointing but not unexpected and to be honest, I think he deserves it.

The weird thing is, I don't feel like this is a huge loss for us as George is a shadow of the player he used to be and I think guys like Britt and Turner offer more these days.

handyman2190

Bench