What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 Crowd Watch

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
Just on yesterday.

I was offered Chairmans tickets by my mate who lived around the corner. Free food, free piss, great viewing. He was going to drive me in, park, drive me out etc.

I declined and when he left I did feel a pang of regret as he drove down the street. That lasted about 1 second when I started watching the game.

I would rather have a few beers and be with my kids around the fire and watch the game with friends than trek to that shithole at ANZ. I ain't commuting 2 hours on a Sunday for a game of footy- even if I dont have to pay or drive.

I had about 15 people in my yard for the game. Not one of them contemplated actually going to the stadium and when I suggested it they laughed at me.

This is why we should be moving clubs out of Sydney....

When you watch on tv, it doesnt matter if the match is played in your Suburb or in the Northern hemisphere. Sydney people can still consume the game as they always have, in the pub and in their homes.

Meanwhile, people in other cities might actually turn up to watch.

carcharias

Immortal

When you watch on tv, it doesnt matter if the match is played in your Suburb or in the Northern hemisphere. Sydney people can still consume the game as they always have, in the pub and in their homes.

What if that plan fails?
What if those new joints don’t work?

Then what?

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
What if that plan fails?
What if those new joints don’t work?

Then what?

If we remove a Sydney team averaging 12K and we add a team in Perth that averages 12K, we havent lost a thing.

But if the Perth teams can copy Melbourne and build to almost 20K, we have gained. (Thats not even mentioning the TV viewership the new team will create)

We KNOW for sure that after 120 years we have hit the limit of Sydneys potential. All the new location needs to do is beat the lowest Sydney team and we are doing better than we were.

If we remove a Sydney team averaging 12K and we add a team in Perth that averages 12K, we havent lost a thing.

But if the Perth teams can copy Melbourne and build to almost 20K, we have gained. (Thats not even mentioning the TV viewership the new team will create)

We KNOW for sure that after 120 years we have hit the limit of Sydneys potential. All the new location needs to do is beat the lowest Sydney team and we are doing better than we were.

You gonna move my team? Well you just lost three memberships for myself, my wife and one of my kids. My youngest kid will get one when he can walk. We go to every home game.

carcharias

Immortal

Yeah “what if it fails” was the question.

What if Perth get smacked week in week out and the rugby league novelty wears off there?

What if they kill a Sydney team and end up with a massively expensive disaster?

Do they just kill them off again?

Perth Red

Post Whore
In my defence
I play soccer on Sundays
We don’t finish until approximately 3pm.
Getting to ANZ from here would be impossible and it’s a massive shithole.
It’s a stadium built for the Olympics not for a club game of footy.

You're a customer, you dont need to defend why you arent buying the product. Its up to the NRL and clubs to figure out how to make games attractive so customers want to buy a ticket to them.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Yeah “what if it fails” was the question.

What if Perth get smacked week in week out and the rugby league novelty wears off there?

What if they kill a Sydney team and end up with a massively expensive disaster?

Do they just kill them off again?

What if it doesn't? What if we are hugely successful and win premierships? What of we sell out nib 5 times a year? Or what if we keep doing the same thing and get the same results?
What if's are fun

carcharias

Immortal
You're a customer, you dont need to defend why you arent buying the product. Its up to the NRL and clubs to figure out how to make games attractive so customers want to buy a ticket to them.

I’ve already bought the product.
I do every year.

As a sharks fan it’s not my job to make any other clubs crowds look better.
Just because I can go to ANZ doesn’t mean I will or would want to.

Big Moose

Juniors
What if it doesn't? What if we are hugely successful and win premierships? What of we sell out nib 5 times a year? Or what if we keep doing the same thing and get the same results?
What if's are fun

There’s no doubt Perth should have an NRL licence and the fact it has established junior and local competitions supports the case even further.
I personally never expected BankWest to make a difference once it got past the first couple of games and thats been proved right. Why don’t people go to NRL games in Sydney is a lifelong mystery that we’ll never solve. The TV numbers aren’t that good, eg there aren’t 500k plus Sydney viewers watching each game.
I don’t think we need to boot out Sydney teams, but the powerbrokers should be responsible for generating bigger attendances which they appear to have little concern for. Personally, I’d be embarassed if i were running a comp where two Sydney teams pull 7500 on a Sunday arvo. But they just make the same old excuses about weather/traffic/form/Origin etc

It was an away game. You move my team and I can't go watch em at home every game like I do (I go to 10 out of 12 a year) and you lose me and the 4 memberships I buy every year. You'd lose hundreds of people like me that I can name.

I wouldn't give up on the game altogether but I wouldn't watch NRL (I'd heavily dilute my participation and support the Jets).

There’s no doubt Perth should have an NRL licence and the fact it has established junior and local competitions supports the case even further.
I personally never expected BankWest to make a difference once it got past the first couple of games and thats been proved right. Why don’t people go to NRL games in Sydney is a lifelong mystery that we’ll never solve. The TV numbers aren’t that good, eg there aren’t 500k plus Sydney viewers watching each game.
I don’t think we need to boot out Sydney teams, but the powerbrokers should be responsible for generating bigger attendances which they appear to have little concern for. Personally, I’d be embarassed if i were running a comp where two Sydney teams pull 7500 on a Sunday arvo. But they just make the same old excuses about weather/traffic/form/Origin etc

The game is seriously on the wane popularity wise. The world has turned and the game has not evolved with it. Most people in Sydney view it as a bogan pursuit. Areas like Cronulla and Penrith, which have a strong junior league and a local team will always remain strongholds (the pubs wont show AFL for example, staunchly being pro NRL- this is a better litmus test for popularity than anything else I have found)- remove them from the comp and you will only further dampen that already waning popularity.

The talk around the water cooler- in the cafes, down the beach, at day care, in the schools is just not as much about NRL as it used to be. I ain't got anything but anecdotal evidence to back it up but the crowds and TV figures for non event games back my theory.

AJB1102

First Grade

To where? Other than Perth where else shall we plonk somewhere else's team that it'll be embraced and supported to AT LEAST current levels? And just achieving current support levels is still a loss and very expensive and risky move just to replace 12k old fans with 12k new ones. You're guaranteed to lose current fans, you're not guaranteed to gain a thing.

Valheru

Coach
The game is seriously on the wane popularity wise. The world has turned and the game has not evolved with it. Most people in Sydney view it as a bogan pursuit. Areas like Cronulla and Penrith, which have a strong junior league and a local team will always remain strongholds (the pubs wont show AFL for example, staunchly being pro NRL- this is a better litmus test for popularity than anything else I have found)- remove them from the comp and you will only further dampen that already waning popularity.

The talk around the water cooler- in the cafes, down the beach, at day care, in the schools is just not as much about NRL as it used to be. I ain't got anything but anecdotal evidence to back it up but the crowds and TV figures for non event games back my theory.

I am completely sympathetic to your cause but out of interest what pubs don't show AFL? I have lived in the shire my whole adult life and not a single one refuses to show AFL. NRL is always main screen but AFL, union and soccer are always shown.

STORM.99/07

Bench
Just on yesterday.

I was offered Chairmans tickets by my mate who lived around the corner. Free food, free piss, great viewing. He was going to drive me in, park, drive me out etc.

I declined and when he left I did feel a pang of regret as he drove down the street. That lasted about 1 second when I started watching the game.

I would rather have a few beers and be with my kids around the fire and watch the game with friends than trek to that shithole at ANZ. I ain't commuting 2 hours on a Sunday for a game of footy- even if I dont have to pay or drive.

I had about 15 people in my yard for the game. Not one of them contemplated actually going to the stadium and when I suggested it they laughed at me.
i would have gone if Storm were playing.i would`nt have cared if I had to go by train

I am completely sympathetic to your cause but out of interest what pubs don't show AFL? I have lived in the shire my whole adult life and not a single one refuses to show AFL. NRL is always main screen but AFL, union and soccer are always shown.

I gotcha but what I mean is certain pubs in Sydney wont even show NRL on the MAIN screen unless you actively harass them. Courthouse in Newtown, Surlys in Surry Hills etc etc. You don't have that problem in Cronulla, the AFL is always relegated to a shit screen and even then they will switch that over to NRL if you ask.

Latest posts