What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Burgess eye gouge

An important part of his testimony was in Georgte's opening statement -

"My hands ended up in a dodgy place. I wasn't thinking about it at the time. I was sort of in auto-pilot. I'm angry with myself about the situation. I want people to know that's not something I think about doing in a game."

"I was in autopilot trying to save the try and slow the play the ball down. It wasn't until after I realised I got him in the face. I was shocked really.

"Towards the end I realised I might have been on his face. I didn't realise in the tackle that I had contact with his eye. It was only until I saw the footage did I realise.

"Things are going a million miles an hour. I swear on my kids lives I didn't know I had my hands in his eyes.

"That was the most careless thing about the tackle, I was going in blind with my hands. My eyes were looking out and obscured by player Damien Cook who was in front of me on the tackle.

"I won't accept that I deliberately went out to poke his eye. I just can't accept that. It's not the kind of person I am."

Source: https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/07/02/live-blog-george-burgess-and-tariq-sims-judiciary-hearings/

Whether he was doing it deliberately or not, had his hand not been in Robbie's face the whole issue would not have occurred. Fact is it did occur, and George realised it. Otherwise he would have plead not guilty which he did not do. In fact George Burgess plead guilty. The charge was not "deliberate eye gouging" so deliberate or not, it was a piss poor act and I think he got off lightly.

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
9 weeks fair call. Dog act and needed a harsh punishment which it got. McGuire must have some blackmail material on the judiciary!

I think people flogging him as the devil incarnate for this have probably never played the game. There was times I did some dumb sht when the red mist appeared and I'm a sedate calm person normally lol.

big hit!

Bench
must be awkward when eddie farah is giving georege b a rubdown down at redfern these days, although he won't be needing one for 9 weeks

Last edited:

mave

Coach
9 weeks, would've been 6 without priors. I think that's fair enough.

However if that was 9 weeks, then both of McGuire's should've been 4-5 weeks.

No way should McGuire have got 4-5 weeks.

Its Origin season !!

George is simply unlucky that he was born in the motherland.

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade
9 weeks, would've been 6 without priors. I think that's fair enough.

However if that was 9 weeks, then both of McGuire's should've been 4-5 weeks.

In 1987 Linnane was suspended for 20 weeks by NSWRL for an eye gouge on Penrith's Greg Alexander.

Mcguire and Burgess should have gotten the same.

Both should buy themselves lottery tickets.

kbw

Bench
Should have got more. effectively 8 weeks + 50% then subtract 25% for early guilty plea.
It will be a great day in RL when there are no Burgess, dirty filthy things they are.

I guess he may have been warming himself up for a contract at the Storm though

Saxon

Bench
You are interpreting it wrongly. George Burgess is a vicious animal who should go back and play for his pathetic home town club Dewsbury.
Aaaand the racist, anti-English francophile speaks.
(Or should that be "racist anti-English cheese-eating-surrender-monkey-ophile"?)

BadnMean

Juniors
This penalty is reasonably in line with Raiders rookie Young's ban of 5 weeks (no carryovers for similar) for a facial into the eyes recently. Can argue they should be longer, but both fair enough- grub act, long suspension.

The outlier is McGuire's two gouges, each easily in the same category as Young's or Burgess' who gets off scott free entirely because without him Qld wouldn't even be able to field a competitive pack & would squeal like stuck pigs while Origin would be "compromised" by a dominant NSW vs a weak Qld pack. Which just wouldn't do. Qld get favours when they lack depth just make sure Origin is ok. Weak as piss.

AJB1102

First Grade
because without him Qld wouldn't even be able to field a competitive pack & would squeal like stuck pigs while Origin would be "compromised" by a dominant NSW vs a weak Qld pack. Which just wouldn't do. Qld get favours when they lack depth just make sure Origin is ok. Weak as piss.

It was a good post until this bit. Poor ending, must be a Raiders thing.

AJB1102

First Grade
How do you explain McGuire in amongst the other examples?

Other than the standard NRL inconsistencies, I can't, mate.

I just don't think:

a) They're competent enough to run a conspiracy
b) is McGuire really the bloke you'd risk bad press on just to have him play? Inglis, JT, Slater types in their prime sure, but f**ken McGuire, nah.

BadnMean

Juniors
Other than the standard NRL inconsistencies, I can't, mate.

I just don't think:

a) They're competent enough to run a conspiracy
b) is McGuire really the bloke you'd risk bad press on just to have him play? Inglis, JT, Slater types in their prime sure, but f**ken McGuire, nah.

I don't think it's a conspiracy. It's just outright double standards. There's nothing secret or hidden about it.

Old have outside back options. But none in the forwards. We've seen it before when PNG suddenly became part of Qld when they had no halfback. A competitive Origin trumps anything else happening in the game.