What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRLW Going bust ?

siv

First Grade
Not cost cutting as they are spending the same amount of money but on less players.
There were several of the top 40 that retired but its really not good enough

How many retired ?

Last edited:

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
switch pays to paid and my overall point is still pretty valid. If the NRL sees value in keeping a team on the Gold Coast then having a women's comp should rate as well
I don't disagree I just think it's an outdated and irrelevant comparison.

Either way, I think this narrative is being driven by Richo, and claims the NRL doesn't value the comp bely the fact they started it and it exists.

Dakink

Bench
I wouldn't call nrlw park footy...I thought it was enjoyable and Definately a decent standard.

kbw

Bench
As a side note, the standard of the Tarsha Gale comp improved, there are a couple of disappointments that haven't stepped up, but teams like Newcastle Illawarra and the Tigers are setting a new standard.

It looks like the Harvey Norman NSWL Women's comp is also going to a higher level and a closer comp (for most teams) than it was last year

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Dont have anything to say about this, cos I dont care about women's sport, but thought it was a good opportunity to post this rant from a while back about the WNBA.

You wont regret it:
I gave it one minute. Poorly presented hypocrisy. It was rubbish. A waste of time.

ULYSSES

Juniors
I read female participation figures recently for Soccer, AFL, League and Rugby.
I see many women playing Soccer and Rugby in NSW but very few playing AFL and League. Yet according to the article there were nearly 3 times as many female participants in League than Rugby. Is this a true representation of numbers or does it include touch players or development schools?
If the numbers are true then we should be able to field a 10-12 team competition not struggle to pay for a 4 team comp. If someone knows I would love to hear.
I actually enjoy women's league and women's cricket. They don't have the ego problem of the males.(I am too old to care about their looks)

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
If the numbers are true then we should be able to field a 10-12 team competition not struggle to pay for a 4 team comp. If someone knows I would love to hear.
To say "the numbers are there" is simple enough, but that doesn't mean we have 10-12 teams worth of elite quality footballers ready to lace up. The pathways are being created, the state comps are growing in strength and the room to grow will be there.

The "struggle to pay for a 4 team comp" line is bullshit btw, it came from a spokesperson for a club who isn't participating and didn't want to shell out to participate. The four clubs in it now are perfectly happy being in it.

parra_jesus

Juniors
To say "the numbers are there" is simple enough, but that doesn't mean we have 10-12 teams worth of elite quality footballers ready to lace up. The pathways are being created, the state comps are growing in strength and the room to grow will be there.

Im still pretty active in the local a grade parra comps (combined south western comp atm) and you are not wrong there, i catch 10 minutes here and there of their games before or after the mens game and im fairly impressed with the pathways that are being made for these girls to play. Numbers are growing every year. I have no idea on the financial side of things with the comps. But regardless they really need to persist with the momentum of the womens league even if they are running at a short term loss.

kbw

Bench
Back to my question why did Penrith-Brothers pull out ?

From what I have heard there were issues between the players and the coach. Sometimes comes with a poor season. I was also informed that in this comp once you forfeit 1 game then you are kicked out of the competition

Reactions: siv

Latest posts