What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

hindy111

Post Whore
But that's our biggest weakness; we have a team with top 4 attack, but the worst defence in the league.

Welch might help turn our defensive attitude around.

Defense will improve when Moses lesrns how to control a game. When to slow it down, find touch and al that. It doesnt matter how good defenders we have, if teams get 65% possesion in first 25mins we will always be up against it.
I do not see any real bad defenders in our side.

Eelementary

Post Whore
Defense will improve when Moses lesrns how to control a game. When to slow it down, find touch and al that. It doesnt matter how good defenders we have, if teams get 65% possesion in first 25mins we will always be up against it.

I would argue that we have good tacklers, and good readers of the play, but our ruck defence is pretty poor, imo.

TheRam

Coach
Absolutely. If they were both evenly priced it wouldn’t even be a question. But in the age of salary caps you have to find value in your roster.

I also don’t think we should be relying solely on an untested Utoikamanu, which is why I think Welsh would be a decent pick up. Although he is now an “origin player”, I don’t think he’d cost as much as Arrow.

This would do nicely for next year (salaries are obviously estimates/guesses)

1. Gutho ($650k)
2. Fergo ($500k)
3. Blake ($500k)
4. Jennings ($400k)
5. Sivo ($200k)
6. Drown (upgrade to $500k)
7. Moses ($850k)
8. Paulo ($600k)
9. Mahoney ($300k)
10. Welsh ($500k)
11. Lane ($400k)
12. Mau ($400k)
13. Nrown ($600k)

14. Salmon ($300k)
15. Utoikamanu ($250k)
16. Niukore ($250k)
17. Gower ($200k)

18. Kaufusi ($200k)
19. Evans ($400k)
20. Tep ($200k)
21. Terepo ($200k)
22. Davies ($100k)
23. Davey ($100k)
24. Parry ($100k)
25. Stone ($150k)
26. Alvaro ($300k based on taking up option)
27. Hoffman ($200k)
28. French ($200k)
29. Schneider ($100k)
30. Smith :pensive: ($150k)

This would come to $9.8 million, which would leave us about $400k spare.

Welsh was already priced over $600K a few months ago when he first went on the open market.

gaffer

Juniors
Absolutely. If they were both evenly priced it wouldn’t even be a question. But in the age of salary caps you have to find value in your roster.

I also don’t think we should be relying solely on an untested Utoikamanu, which is why I think Welsh would be a decent pick up. Although he is now an “origin player”, I don’t think he’d cost as much as Arrow.

This would do nicely for next year (salaries are obviously estimates/guesses)

1. Gutho ($650k)
2. Fergo ($500k)
3. Blake ($500k)
4. Jennings ($400k)
5. Sivo ($200k)
6. Drown (upgrade to $500k)
7. Moses ($850k)
8. Paulo ($600k)
9. Mahoney ($300k)
10. Welsh ($500k)
11. Lane ($400k)
12. Mau ($400k)
13. Nrown ($600k)

14. Salmon ($300k)
15. Utoikamanu ($250k)
16. Niukore ($250k)
17. Gower ($200k)

18. Kaufusi ($200k)
19. Evans ($400k)
20. Tep ($200k)
21. Terepo ($200k)
22. Davies ($100k)
23. Davey ($100k)
24. Parry ($100k)
25. Stone ($150k)
26. Alvaro ($300k based on taking up option)
27. Hoffman ($200k)
28. French ($200k)
29. Schneider ($100k)
30. Smith :pensive: ($150k)

This would come to $9.8 million, which would leave us about $400k spare.
we'll be paying sivo more than 200 thou or he'll be goooornnne

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
We have Junior Paulo. Great when people run straight at him, but so are half the forwards in reserve grade.

In hindsight I wonder if the club was exhausted after telling Gutho to get f**ked and didn't really have the energy left to tell Moses to get f**ked as forcefully as they should.

Happy MEel

First Grade
In hindsight I wonder if the club was exhausted after telling Gutho to get f**ked and didn't really have the energy left to tell Moses to get f**ked as forcefully as they should.
The merkin is leading try assists in the comp and we have one of the best attacks...even playing most of the season with him as our only recognised half. He is an excellent play maker, we just don’t need (or want) him to manage footy games too often. Enter D brown. Think of Moses as an elite 6 and Drown as the ideal 7 (hopefully).

The merkin is leading try assists in the comp and we have one of the best attacks...even playing most of the season with him as our only recognised half. He is an excellent play maker, we just don’t need (or want) him to manage footy games too often. Enter D brown. Think of Moses as an elite 6 and Drown as the ideal 7 (hopefully).
Doesn't that just mean he gets the ball more? So he should be right up there in the stats in a half decent team. And people expect an 18-year old to be the calm controller of our team? Seems like asking a bit much. Besides, isn't Junior Brown's main asset also his running? I reckon we've got two sixes.

Delboy

First Grade
Yes. Time when we are up by 8 point and he doesnt swtich modes.
People bag Cleary but he is composed.
Sometimes Himdy you need to take the Riff mask,off, Cleary is almost the most one dimensional half there is. Passes a lot, tackles and kicks on the last.

He has no try assists or line break assists in all his Origin appearances, and virtually none in the club games. He is a young and slightly worse Blake Green, handy and that is it.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Then we have a problem don't we? Because he's the one calling the shots. Sometimes the risky stuff needs to go away.
At 3:35 of this video Arthur implies Moses isn't the only one 'calling the shots'. It's a team game, and it's blinkered to think the 7 should be the only one making decisions. There's a game plan, and they should all know it. They're full time professionals ffs. There's no reason they should have to rely on one bloke to tell them what to do on the field.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Doesn't that just mean he gets the ball more? So he should be right up there in the stats in a half decent team. And people expect an 18-year old to be the calm controller of our team? Seems like asking a bit much. Besides, isn't Junior Brown's main asset also his running? I reckon we've got two sixes.
Nathan Brown said "two five-eighths can work together if that's the style you want": https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/06/07/brown-let-pearce-dominate-nsw-or-leave-him-in-the-lounge-room/

This is referred to as 'split halves'. It's been happening for years.