What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to Reduce Concussion

T-Boon

Coach
Platoons (guys like Keary should be able to subbed out in defence).
4 markers who dont have to be square (can line up anywhere behind the advantage line/ruck.

Canard

Immortal
Lol.
f**k me.

I'm not advocating for 1v1 tackles only. Although I do think that more offloads make for a far more attractive style of footy.

The question was how do we reduce concussion..
One answer is to encourage and reward tackling that is well away from the head of the attacker.
We are currently doing the exact opposite.

You're normally a fairly sensible poster

T-Boon

Coach
I think you're concussed.

If you think about it a game played under those rules would be awesome.
I’d have 4 front line defenders who are allowed anywhere behind the ruck and the other 9 defenders back 15 or 20 metres.

mave

Coach
You're normally a fairly sensible poster

If you think advocating for the governing body to encourage a form of tackling well away from the head area of the attacker is not sensible, then I cant help you.

T-Boon

Coach
After all of the talk this week

How should RL reduce the concussion impact ?

Biggest time it ever occurred in the past was off the kickoff now after the introduction of the 10m rule and interchanges it happens way more regularly

One option tried at junior level was to reduce the 10m rule back to 5m

Any other options ?

Do we know any statistics on the way the concussions happen?
EG: is it mainly tackling? Head slammed against ground while tackling? Getting tackled?
It seems to me like Pritchard use to get concussions tackling big guys.

Last edited:

siv

First Grade
Anyone know what the boxing concussion rules are ?

Eg how soon can a boxer start boxing again when knocked out

kbw

Bench
I was of the opinion that head gear has no effect, but newer technology may help
headsafe.com has some interesting reading.

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
Do we know any statistics on the way the concussions happen?
EG: is it mainly tackling? Head slammed against ground while tackling? Getting tackled?
It seems to me like Pritchard use to get concussions tackling big guys.
73% of people become concussed after reading a T-Boon post.

t-ba

Post Whore
If we cloned 400 John Hopoate's and allowed only them to play we would never have to worry about concussions again.

Homo man69

Juniors
Yet again the AFL is going under the radar. While the NRL is getting slammed with law suits. Just like Murdoch picking league not AFL

siv

First Grade
Interesting that boxing references 30 to 90 day durations on the sideline after a Knock Out

Or 4 to 12 weeks

siv

First Grade
Don’t hit head?

We have a few other types of concussions other than Head High Tackles or Shoulder Charges

Head Clashes - on a number of times between 2 defenders

Though the James Graham tactic of using his top of his skull as a weapon in the tackle should be banned

Head slam on hard turf

The falcon from a kick

The wiplash effect of a heavy tackle usually occurs off the kickoff or when hit from behind

Going to 5m will reduce the big defensive hits in a similar way removing the shoulder charge has done

Maybe if you fail a HIA you need 2 weeks on the sideline

Another failed HIAs in a month then 4 weeks on the sideline

Another failed HIAs in a months then 12 weeks on the sideline