What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

‘A lost opportunity.’

Tim Spary

Juniors
‘A lost opportunity.’

Rugby League World Cup games will not now be staged in Workington in 2021.

Pommy

Coach
I really wish Barrow raiders and barrow afc would get their shit together and get a ground share going.
It’s been talked about since I was a kid but both continue to playing derelict individual grounds. Who really cares what the jam eaters do.

Burns

First Grade
Glad it’s not in Workington. Play the games somewhere that isn’t secluded.

adamkungl

Immortal
The question was would it suit, the question wasn’t does Middlesborough suit.

Depends on what your criteria is for 'suitable'.
One can assume, based on the fact that some games are already being played in non-Rugby League areas such as Middlesborough, that "existing RL presence" is not part of that criteria for the organisers, at least not an absolute requirement.

It would be good to keep some games in Cumbria. Will be interesting to see what they do

Pommy

Coach
Depends on what your criteria is for 'suitable'.
One can assume, based on the fact that some games are already being played in non-Rugby League areas such as Middlesborough, that "existing RL presence" is not part of that criteria for the organisers, at least not an absolute requirement.

It would be good to keep some games in Cumbria. Will be interesting to see what they do

I don’t know how popular it would actually be in Carlisle.
The good thing about Workington is it’s a direct train to Barrow, whilst Carlisle is the termination of that train but it feels like you’re going to f**king Mordor if you do that trip. If the games move to Carlisle I think people from Furness would be more likely to go to other north west stadiums already announced, then you only have a target audience on the west coast as I don’t see many people from Carlisle going to watch tier 2/3 nations play.
If Workington is really a non starter just move them out of the county and be done with it in my opinion.

adamkungl

Immortal
From a tourism perspective it shouldn't be a huge task to pair up a WC match and a trip to the Lakes District

Pommy

Coach
From a tourism perspective it shouldn't be a huge task to pair up a WC match and a trip to the Lakes District

In October/November in England? Yeah your average RL fan will be falling over themselves for it.

adamkungl

Immortal
In October/November in England? Yeah your average RL fan will be falling over themselves for it.

I went to the Lakes District in November! Tbh I didn't notice much difference in English weather between June and November ;) haha

I mean if people have already flown over for the WC then Lakes District is as good as anywhere and better than most places to visit. I'm sure the sights of Hull and Leigh are amazing but nothing beats a good road trip

Pommy

Coach
Just listening to the radio 5 live league podcast they switched between saying the new ground isn’t in Cumbria and isn’t in West Cumbria. From the discussion I’m pretty sure it’s not going to be in Cumbria. They said it’s all in place and has been since day 1 incase anything like this happened. It’s not guaranteed to be a league ground either. Should be announced in the next few weeks, waiting on the dust settling so their partners can announce it on their own terms.

Burns

First Grade
Just listening to the radio 5 live league podcast they switched between saying the new ground isn’t in Cumbria and isn’t in West Cumbria. From the discussion I’m pretty sure it’s not going to be in Cumbria. They said it’s all in place and has been since day 1 incase anything like this happened. It’s not guaranteed to be a league ground either. Should be announced in the next few weeks, waiting on the dust settling so their partners can announce it on their own terms.
Any ideas where it could be?

Latest posts