What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 championship & league one..

Tigers1986

Juniors
West Wales STILL winless, and STILL being towelled up each week. Surely League 1 boot them at the end of the season, they offer nothing. Push them into an amateur league to build a profile from there.

Walter sobchak

First Grade
West Wales STILL winless, and STILL being towelled up each week. Surely League 1 boot them at the end of the season, they offer nothing. Push them into an amateur league to build a profile from there.
Heard that there was 79 yes 79 people in attendance as well!!

Stallion

First Grade
Barring any monumental cockup the Wolfpack will be promoted this season. Not sure about grassroots development in Toronto but Eric Perez has stated that he wants Ottawa to build solid foundations on the grassroots and player development side.

On France I only think player participation is up in the Perpignan and Toulouse areas thanks due to competing in the U.K. league structure.

Thanks. Would have thought some official work from rugby league development people would be at play? Looks like seeds are being planted but no genuine follow up?

Pommy

Coach
Barring any monumental cockup the Wolfpack will be promoted this season. Not sure about grassroots development in Toronto but Eric Perez has stated that he wants Ottawa to build solid foundations on the grassroots and player development side.

On France I only think player participation is up in the Perpignan and Toulouse areas thanks due to competing in the U.K. league structure.

Isn’t there talk the the super league might not let them in?

Walter sobchak

First Grade
Thanks. Would have thought some official work from rugby league development people would be at play? Looks like seeds are being planted but no genuine follow up?
The only way RL will grow in France is if more sides are admitted into the U.K. league structure. I’d also if this happens would like to see these teams come from big city expansion areas like Marseille, Lyon or Montpelier etc allowing the current small towns teams in elite 1 to stay where they are acting as potential feeder teams to the French teams competing in the U.K. leagues.

Stallion

First Grade
The only way RL will grow in France is if more sides are admitted into the U.K. league structure. I’d also if this happens would like to see these teams come from big city expansion areas like Marseille, Lyon or Montpelier etc allowing the current small towns teams in elite 1 to stay where they are acting as potential feeder teams to the French teams competing in the U.K. leagues.

Perhaps with a long term purpose of calling such a competition European Superleague?

Dakink

Bench
If they don't let them in they may run the risk of their comp gradually being over run by the rfl run premiership (think that's what I heard they wanna change it to). Especially if the rfl structure includes toronto, new York Toulouse, Ottawa etc. Obviously no where near super league now but the future? Who knows.

deluded pom?

Coach
If they don't let them in they may run the risk of their comp gradually being over run by the rfl run premiership (think that's what I heard they wanna change it to). Especially if the rfl structure includes toronto, new York Toulouse, Ottawa etc. Obviously no where near super league now but the future? Who knows.
That was from a podcast with Steve Mascord.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade

I've also heard through various podcasts that they may decline promotion and wait for New York and Ottowa to arrive in the Championship as getting a TV deal would be easier with three North American teams in the same league.

Pommy

Coach
I've also heard through various podcasts that they may decline promotion and wait for New York and Ottowa to arrive in the Championship as getting a TV deal would be easier with three North American teams in the same league.

I find it hard to believe that would happen. They’ve spent a lot of money if the aim was to sit in the championship they wouldn’t need to have spent so much.
Perez was also saying super league need Toronto and Canada.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
I find it hard to believe that would happen. They’ve spent a lot of money if the aim was to sit in the championship they wouldn’t need to have spent so much.
Perez was also saying super league need Toronto and Canada.

Just going on some recent comments. I've also heard that the business name; The Rugby League Premiership has been registered. Mascord seems to think that a revamped Championship could be an attractive propostion for Toronto, Toulouse, Ottowa, New York and maybe London too.

Again, nothing solid yet but it's worth keeping an eye on.

Pommy

Coach
Just going on some recent comments. I've also heard that the business name; The Rugby League Premiership has been registered. Mascord seems to think that a revamped Championship could be an attractive propostion for Toronto, Toulouse, Ottowa, New York and maybe London too.

I get the reasoning behind it but without any major rugby league teams involved it doesn’t seem like it’s got much legs to me.
You would need some teams like Wigan, saint helens, Leeds and hull to throw in with them.

Walter sobchak

First Grade

Could just be the case of building up and strengthening the league below super league in terms of increasing funding each team would get to make relegation less damaging from the top league?

For example if a Toronto, Toulouse or Ottawa was to be relegated from super league to a decent funded league below it would be less traumatic in terms of money and would allow them to return to super league via promotion.