What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

Happy MEel

First Grade
So apparently Manly have offered Jake just less than a mill a season for 5 years, and Tom just over a mill.

What do we all think? How much extra do you reckon it would cost to pry Jake away from his brother and club, and is that amount feasible for us?

I think $1.2 would probably do it and with the make up of our squad and our seemingly more cut throat approach to re-signings, I think we could just about afford that. Manly are certainly going top heavy with DCE and the Trbojevics on close to a third of the cap.

If they can fit them in surely we can offer close to 1.2 with our next highest paid player (Moses) on a reported $850k.

https://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/m...l/news-story/8e56c8d4906fc7ba31cec9d569f8b52c

Gronk

Staff member
So apparently Manly have offered Jake just less than a mill a season for 5 years, and Tom just over a mill.

What do we all think? How much extra do you reckon it would cost to pry Jake away from his brother and club, and is that amount feasible for us?

I think $1.2 would probably do it and with the make up of our squad and our seemingly more cut throat approach to re-signings, I think we could just about afford that. Manly are certainly going top heavy with DCE and the Trbojevics on close to a third of the cap.

If they can fit them in surely we can offer close to 1.2 with our next highest paid player (Moses) on a reported $850k.

https://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/m...l/news-story/8e56c8d4906fc7ba31cec9d569f8b52c
They would have to run the rest of the squad on the smell of an oily rag Melbourne style*.

* with $1m of TPAs

hineyrulz

Post Whore

With their younger Bro also signed long term I reckon about a million each will be enough for them to stay.

1.2m is a lot for Jake no matter how good he is.

chiefy1

Juniors
So reports are Mannah, Gower won’t be here next year and Manu is gone.

Yet reports are Alvaro is staying and we are trying to extend his contract and we have offered Moeroa a contract.

Appears to be a common theme here, we are trying to keep the younger players.

Why would we be in negotiations to sign Alvaro for 2021 ? It's not like clubs would be fighting to sign him.
I call this bs...

Cue for everyone to start making up numbers. I'd rather spend 2 x 600 on middle forwards (or 1 x 800 and 1 x 400) than roll the dice on a single player at the price you are suggesting.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
Why would we be in negotiations to sign Alvaro for 2021 ? It's not like clubs would be fighting to sign him.
I call this bs...

Maybe so we can frontload his contract with cap space we have this year.

Additionally every squad need “Alvaro” type players and with our own NSW cup side next year, he is probably a good player to have around (based on ability/leadership).

Happy MEel

First Grade
Cue for everyone to start making up numbers. I'd rather spend 2 x 600 on middle forwards (or 1 x 800 and 1 x 400) than roll the dice on a single player at the price you are suggesting.
Possibly, but we already have Junior and Brown locked in for 2021, you’d hope Utoikamanu and Kaufusi have established themselves as genuine first graders by then which only leaves 1 (possibly two) more top 17 middles.

I think we have had too many first graders and not enough genuine stars in our top 30 for a while now. Jake is a genuine superstar in a position we desperately need to improve in. The fact we don’t have anyone on marquee money suggests we could outlay for this quality. I’d be prepared to sacrifice the additional “good” (either the $600k or $400k caliber player you mentioned) middle forward, have a more top heavy roster with IMO the best middle in the game (taking into account attack and defence), hope we don’t get too many injuries and give the comp a real shake.

chiefy1

Juniors
Maybe so we can frontload his contract with cap space we have this year.

Additionally every squad need “Alvaro” type players and with our own NSW cup side next year, he is probably a good player to have around (based on ability/leadership).

Maybe he can lead Wentworthville to a premiership -:football: let's celebrate like it's 1986 !

& can you tell me who is the Roosters and Storm's equivalent of Alvaro? ???

Bazal

Post Whore
I call this bs...

Cos on 2018 form he's probably a 400k-ish player with the current cap, but on current form he's probably a 200k player...

If we want to extend him, makes more sense to sign him now because we know what he can do at the right weight, but he's not doing that right now so he's worth less.

Leave it late (if we wanted to keep him, obviously) and he gets back last years form, and watch some mugs like the Titans offer him 500k. They paid Junior Paulo for Shannon f**king Boyd and the Tigers paid 550k for bloody Russell Packer ffs...

Avenger

Immortal

No chance Jake is worth $1m even though he has a Serbian background. And Tom who is a little injury prone is a big risk at $1.2m.

I’d pass on both of them and exploit Manly by buying one of their other forwards.

I bleed blue & gold

First Grade
No chance Jake is worth $1m even though he has a Serbian background. And Tom who is a little injury prone is a big risk at $1.2m.

I’d pass on both of them and exploit Manly by buying one of their other forwards.
Who would you target?
IMO there are only 2 others i would want. Taupau is under contract for 2020 and is getting on with age. While AFB just re-signed until the end of 2023.

Happy MEel

First Grade

Our middle defence is the problem...I don’t think we need any of their other forwards.

Happy MEel

First Grade

LoLo’s on a mill isn’t he? Sure he runs harder but Jake’s an infinitely better defender and ball player and I don’t think I have EVER seen him go missing in a match. Jake also plays 80 minutes providing better value for the outlay. Furthermore, he also has an exceptional injury record.

Latest posts