What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rabbitohs rumours, signings, injuries etc

Galeforce

Bench
Why do you say its 'great news for the club' on one hand then say on the other ' I haven't seen much of him myself'.
You really don't know anything about him at all, it's the same as Goodwin, Souths have him so he must be good. Well I disagree, in the case of Goodwin he was past his use by date and he got shunted to England, now you applaud his return, f**k me swingin, do you think we are stupid, do you think Goodwin found the Fountain of Youth over there, do you think he will ever play first grade again, if he does it will be because Souths have an enormous shortage of players.
If Josh Cook is any good how come he hasn't played first grade, he is twenty years old and still in the juniors, with Billy Brittain in front of him.
Why is it good news for the club, is he earmarked for SOO.

Some of the stuff you come out with is just bullshit.

first agree on your view on Goodwin. I can only assume he has come back on the cheap , reserve grade money to help develop younger players coming though and to come into top team only when we are short of backs due to injury/rep duties.

As for Josh Cook , you are way off beam.We have Billy Brittain who is a more experienced player and he is our current deputy for Cook. Of course we should use Brittain when Cook not available , this does not mean Josh Cook is no good. The club is developing Cook and I have only seen him in a couple of games , however from what I saw he is GOOD. Stands out . Expect Josh cook to be Damians long term replacement if we can keep him past 2021.REMEMBER how old was Damian when he finally landed the top grade hooker role ?

The more I think about Goodwin, the more I think he is purely a reserve grade signing at this point in his career.

He was slow when he left for England and I don't imagine that those couple of years over there have increased his pace at all...

Nowhere is it mentioned that he will come into the top 30

I honestly think he will come back to possibly captain that reserve grade side next year with a view to transitioning into a coaching role within a year or two.

On the subject of Josh Cook, he has all the hallmarks of a good player coming through the grades.

If the system was the same as it was a few years back, he would've been pinched from our 20's team and probably already playing first grade elsewhere but one of the benefits of the new system and more emphasis being put on Canterbury Cup is that you get to develop some of these good kids a little longer. He will transition into the first grade squad next year imo. Not sure if he'll be a long term replacement for Damian Cook as Cookie still has a few years left in him yet but he'll be a great substitute for the next couple of years when Damian is away for Origin.

Last edited:

Travitoh

First Grade
first agree on your view on Goodwin. I can only assume he has come back on the cheap , reserve grade money to help develop younger players coming though and to come into top team only when we are short of backs due to injury/rep duties.

As for Josh Cook , you are way off beam.We have Billy Brittain who is a more experienced player and he is our current deputy for Cook. Of course we should use Brittain when Cook not available , this does not mean Josh Cook is no good. The club is developing Cook and I have only seen him in a couple of games , however from what I saw he is GOOD. Stands out . Expect Josh cook to be Damians long term replacement if we can keep him past 2021.REMEMBER how old was Damian when he finally landed the top grade hooker role ?

I agree with what you say about Josh Cook. He's still a kid and playing for a club who's top two hookers are NSW reps in their respective grade.
If he were 23 I'd be concerned but at 20 there is still plenty of time for him, especially in a position that is physically demanding. Let him and his body develop.

assess5

Juniors

If I have inferred Josh Cook is no good I have given the wrong impression and been misunderstood. How could I form an opinion, I have never heard of him till now.
My point is exactly that, how can a person say 'Wow, isn't it great we signed this player, he's the next best thing', 'oh, by the way, I've never seen him play' and be taken with any gravitas.

Okay, you tell me you have seen him play, you don't go into any detail, i.e. how many games, did he play well, in what way did he play well, did he play a dummy half distributing role, is he a great defender etc.

Some blokes on this forum see a name in the paper and bingo, we gotta sign him up.

It just f**ken irks me sometimes.

If I have inferred Josh Cook is no good I have given the wrong impression and been misunderstood. How could I form an opinion, I have never heard of him till now.
My point is exactly that, how can a person say 'Wow, isn't it great we signed this player, he's the next best thing', 'oh, by the way, I've never seen him play' and be taken with any gravitas.

Okay, you tell me you have seen him play, you don't go into any detail, i.e. how many games, did he play well, in what way did he play well, did he play a dummy half distributing role, is he a great defender etc.

Some blokes on this forum see a name in the paper and bingo, we gotta sign him up.

It just f**ken irks me sometimes.

He was our Flegg hooker this year and I must say I didn't see him play in that grade but he's played a few CC games this year when Brittain has been called up to first grade and for his first couple of outings with the big boys he didn't look out of place.

Crisp service out of dummy half and I actually remember him laying on a try for one of our forwards with a short ball near the line in one of those games.

Didn't go for too many runs but has plenty of pace and backs up well.

Yes he's 20 odd but I think that he's had a few injuries to contend with coming through the grades.

Reactions: RDT

assess5

Juniors
I agree with what you say about Josh Cook. He's still a kid and playing for a club who's top two hookers are NSW reps in their respective grade.
If he were 23 I'd be concerned but at 20 there is still plenty of time for him, especially in a position that is physically demanding. Let him and his body develop.

I reject your 'He's still a kid'. He is old enough to part take of all things available to anybody i.e. he can drink, have sex, join the army and get his arm, leg, head blown off, he can vote.

Another thing that irks me is ' Da boys dun good tonight, the boys played strong...…..'
How old are you before your a man?

Travitoh

First Grade
I reject your 'He's still a kid'. He is old enough to part take of all things available to anybody i.e. he can drink, have sex, join the army and get his arm, leg, head blown off, he can vote.

Another thing that irks me is ' Da boys dun good tonight, the boys played strong...…..'
How old are you before your a man?

In other countries he isn't old enough to legally drink until 21, the age of manhood itself is always up for debate across various cultures. Though your comment does speak volumes about the treatment of 18 yo's in the armed forces compared to those at a football club.
In rugby league terms i would say you're a kid up to around 21-22. Physically, 18-early-20's year olds aren't at the same level as other players aged mid-20's and above. Mentally, anywhere between 20-30 depending on the individual.
At 183cm and 85kg, he's a fraction smaller than Josh Addo-Carr but plays in the middle. He's taller than Damian Cook and Ben Hunt but lighter.
Physically he is still young and while we're strong in the position, there is no harm in letting him develop physically before making a call on his future. It's not like we have a glutton of young 9's that we're aware of.

assess5

Juniors
In other countries he isn't old enough to legally drink until 21, the age of manhood itself is always up for debate across various cultures. Though your comment does speak volumes about the treatment of 18 yo's in the armed forces compared to those at a football club.
In rugby league terms i would say you're a kid up to around 21-22. Physically, 18-early-20's year olds aren't at the same level as other players aged mid-20's and above. Mentally, anywhere between 20-30 depending on the individual.
At 183cm and 85kg, he's a fraction smaller than Josh Addo-Carr but plays in the middle. He's taller than Damian Cook and Ben Hunt but lighter.
Physically he is still young and while we're strong in the position, there is no harm in letting him develop physically before making a call on his future. It's not like we have a glutton of young 9's that we're aware of.

My dad joined the AIF when he was 17, was in Darwin when it got bombed, finished in the Occupation forces in Japan, six year contract for not much money.

So, I guess the question still remains unanswered.

assess5

Juniors
I refer to anyone younger than me as a kid tbh. So basically, even guys like Sutto are good kids.

I think calling a male child older than sixteen a 'kid', demeaning almost insulting .
I think that from sixteen on, males should make their own decisions, be responsible for themselves. To often people who whip hand use that term derogatively.

Different eras I suppose.

Anyway, enough of this crap. Each to their own I suppose.

Travitoh

First Grade
My dad joined the AIF when he was 17, was in Darwin when it got bombed, finished in the Occupation forces in Japan, six year contract for not much money.

So, I guess the question still remains unanswered.

The question has been answered, you just didn't see it.
Age doesn't dictate if someone is a man or not. Humans aren't that simple.
Actions reflect manhood. Composure, responsibility, maturity and treatment of others are features that define being a man.
I would also argue that a man doesn't question the manhood of another. He doesn't attempt to shame someone unjustifiably just because he feels their less of a man. That is the action of a child.

assess5

Juniors
The question has been answered, you just didn't see it.
Age doesn't dictate if someone is a man or not. Humans aren't that simple.
Actions reflect manhood. Composure, responsibility, maturity and treatment of others are features that define being a man.
I would also argue that a man doesn't question the manhood of another. He doesn't attempt to shame someone unjustifiably just because he feels their less of a man. That is the action of a child.

So, using your logic, age doesn't dictate etc. the habit of old men calling younger men boys should cease, because, to my way of thinking, its demeaning, insulting and passive/aggressive.

As for questioning another mans manhood, your talking the very same thing, that is 'he's still a boy' again is insulting, deliberately so.
It's all about control isn't it.

I can't think of anybody who called me boy......twice, or any of my male friends.

So, using your logic, age doesn't dictate etc. the habit of old men calling younger men boys should cease, because, to my way of thinking, its demeaning, insulting and passive/aggressive.

As for questioning another mans manhood, your talking the very same thing, that is 'he's still a boy' again is insulting, deliberately so.

I can't think of anybody who called me boy......twice, or any of my male friends.

Nothing like that at all.

In my way of thinking it's just another way of referring to someone. He/She's a good guy/lady/kid. Same difference.

If you get worked up about something like that then you're pretty much just looking for an excuse to get worked up.

callmack1

Staff member
@assess5, settle down mate, I am simply stating my opinion on Josh Cook. yes, I have hardly seen him play but that doesn't mean I can't have an opinion. I have been speaking with others on other forums who have seen a lot of him, they all think he has a massive future and will overtake Brittain shortly. Some are even comparing his style and poise to Cameron Smith. Obviously, it's far too early to be making statements like that but it's a good sign.

So I have formed an opinion of Cook based on the reviews that a number of other people have given me. That opinion will be enhanced when I actually see a decent amount of him myself. Nothing wrong with that.

assess5

Juniors
Nothing like that at all.

In my way of thinking it's just another way of referring to someone. He/She's a good guy/lady/kid. Same difference.

If you get worked up about something like that then you're pretty much just looking for an excuse to get worked up.

That time I was responding/replying to Travito, not you. I acknowledge that you in no way 'worked' me up.

I sure will be glad when Souths play again. Clearly we are all bored. (which in no way retracts or retreats from my stated positions).

assess5

Juniors
@assess5, settle down mate, I am simply stating my opinion on Josh Cook. yes, I have hardly seen him play but that doesn't mean I can't have an opinion. I have been speaking with others on other forums who have seen a lot of him, they all think he has a massive future and will overtake Brittain shortly. Some are even comparing his style and poise to Cameron Smith. Obviously, it's far too early to be making statements like that but it's a good sign.

So I have formed an opinion of Cook based on the reviews that a number of other people have given me. That opinion will be enhanced when I actually see a decent amount of him myself. Nothing wrong with that.

No, you settle down. If you are suggesting that I am riled at your posts I say to you "you ain't seen nothing yet.
So your telling us you have formed an opinion based upon discussions (?) with faceless people that you ask us to accept as factual.
Based on your rejoicing about Goodwin's' return to Souths I am unable to agree with you, in fact I am really disappointed that Goodwin is returning to Souths and am surprised that you are so enthusiastic. (see previous posts for comments on age, speed etc.)

I am intrigued,how do you know your opinion concerning Josh Cook will be enhanced, what if your disappointed. Will you inform us of your disappointment.

Betcha won't.

Anyway, I agree your entitled to your opinion however your opinion is not fact and so I am entitled to query and even disagree with you.

No, you settle down. If you are suggesting that I am riled at your posts I say to you "you ain't seen nothing yet.
So your telling us you have formed an opinion based upon discussions (?) with faceless people that you ask us to accept as factual.
Based on your rejoicing about Goodwin's' return to Souths I am unable to agree with you, in fact I am really disappointed that Goodwin is returning to Souths and am surprised that you are so enthusiastic. (see previous posts for comments on age, speed etc.)

I am intrigued,how do you know your opinion concerning Josh Cook will be enhanced, what if your disappointed. Will you inform us of your disappointment.

Betcha won't.

Anyway, I agree your entitled to your opinion however your opinion is not fact and so I am entitled to query and even disagree with you.
Like Callmack said,take it easy
He's given an opinion and an opinion only.Not everyone has the luxury of going out to see these young players.
If you have the time why not go out and watch Jersey Flegg and Canterbury Cup players and let the guys on this forum know who has the potential and/or qualities to play first grade.
I've seen Josh Cook play and he has talent,so does Lachlan Ilias,Jaxson Paulo,Tom Amone and a guy with a lot of talent from Harold Matthews is Joseph Suaali
Let's keep this forum friendly mate
Remember there are a lot more important issues in life like the sick kids in hospital

callmack1

Staff member

Betcha won't.

Yes, I have formed an opinion based on discussions, that's all I have to go off at the moment. I have been speaking with these people for many years on different forums and I value their opinion.

Maybe saying my decision would be 'enhanced' when I see him play was the wrong way to say it. Should have said my decision will be determined. Of course I will inform you of my disappointment if I was wrong about him.

Not sure why you're so hung up on me forming an opinion on a player based on what others have said, there's nothing wrong about that.

In regards to Goodwin, yes, I'm happy to see he will be back at the club. Bryson will always give you nothing but his best and is an extremely consistent player, one of our best in his last year with us. He might not win you a game but he certainly won't lose it. If Goodwin had come with the view of playing regular first grade then I would somewhat agree with you but I think he is a depth signing as he will be behind Burns and Roberts. If we cop injuries or suspensions next year in the outside backs, then we have a solid, experienced and reliable back up in Bryson. Not many clubs have an NRL quality centre playing reserve grade and if they do, I bet that player is on the lookout for a starting opportunity elsewhere. But the great thing about this is that we will have that, a quality player happy to be a back up. Goodwin is at the back end of his career and is obviously content with that role at the club, that is a good thing. He can mentor our young outside backs and step in to do a job when required. That is far better then using back rowers in the centres in my opinion and we could have really used Bryson this year.

It's fine if you disagree mate, that's good in fact, it creates discussion. However, it is important to do it in a civil manner and calling someone's opinion "bullshit" is far from civil.

Travitoh

First Grade

Please quote where I've stated 'he's just a boy'.

And while your at it, please share your view on what makes a man seeing as you're so willing to go at the opinions of another.