What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 Crowd Watch

carcharias

Immortal
No I just figure I bought a nice house and filled it with expensive shit that entertains me, why go out to watch movies with 40 chatty strangers? Pay for fox and a big telly, heating and a well stocked fridge to sit on a plastic seat eating cold hot chips and sipping a $9 mid strength rubbish beer? Forget it!

I get this
I spent the best part of 30 years dragging my arse out there in some pretty ordinary situations.
That being...weather and performance.

I too now have my own joint and all the toys.
I feel as though I did my bit ( and some )for my team.
I still go and get season tix purely because my mates are in it with me.

There are plenty in your situation and I don’t blame them.
Blokes my age in my suburb say they couldn’t be stuffed anymore, their priorities have changed.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I get this

There are plenty in your situation and I don’t blame them.
Blokes my age in my suburb say they couldn’t be stuffed anymore, their priorities have changed.

We seem to be a weird bunch, this isnt something you would hear an AFL (except maybe Lions lol) or EPL fan say. Committed for life. Guess thats the difference and why our crowds have never matched those sports. I get other priorities in life come along and when the NRL or clubs make it hard slog to attend the game you can take the easier options modern day living brings but still it is sad for our game this attitude is so prevalent in some RL fans.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
I note that grim reality isn't well received by some on this site. Northern Sydney is now a basket case for rugby league and a growth pot for union and other codes. Keep on the same tact and the same will happen elsewhere in Sydney. It seems a few enjoy making the same mistakes on this site with the intent to hurt this code. Whiteanting established clubs surely doesn't strengthen this envied competition!

Yawn - Union is not experiencing any growth in Australia

AJB1102

First Grade
Seeing your team with 15,000+ other fans live, actually at the ground, where your support has made a difference to your players is 60 billion times better than sitting at home.

I would question that. You dont get the same experience listening to a band streaming on your iphone as you do at a concert, you dont get the same experience watching Getaway as you do visiting the Colosseum, you dont get the same highs and lows in front of a tv that you get on the edge of your seat at the stadium. I may be getting old but the multi sensory input, the anticipation, the comrade of the fans around you, none of that can be replicated at home.
Sure you can get your fave beer out of the fridge and sit on your comfy sofa with one eye on your ipad but that isnt real life, its a poor substitute. There's no investment or effort, there's little reward. Games over you flick over channels and watch the next thing on the box. But as I say I might just be getting old lol.

I get it, but I don't agree. Makes no great difference to me. I fire up at home for my team, probably give more of a gobful from the couch too since no security or sensitive ears around.

I spend most my time at games watching the big screen anyway lol

Stallion

First Grade
Yawn - Union is not experiencing any growth in Australia

How dumb! Go and look up the participation numbers and local Sydney club competition crowd numbers and you will see the union code is experiencing a rise in participation and patronage ! Meanwhile rugby league in northern Sydney declines! Wow !You really can't believe reality can you? It's astonishing how ignorant you can get!? Have a look at the crowds for Sydney club union games in northern Sydney and for that matter eastern Sydney. They are numbering 10000 or toward that figure . And you deny this stuff! Incredible!

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
How dumb! Go and look up the participation numbers and local Sydney club competition crowd numbers and you will see the union code is experiencing a rise in participation and patronage ! Meanwhile rugby league in northern Sydney declines! Wow !You really can't believe reality can you? It's astonishing how ignorant you can get!? Have a look at the crowds for Sydney club union games in northern Sydney and for that matter eastern Sydney. They are numbering 10000 or toward that figure . And you deny this stuff! Incredible!

Got any links to support your claims?

AJB1102

First Grade
Warringah Rats v Manly attracts 10000 at Rat park and fills the Manly ground every year recently. Well over 6000 reportedly attended a Randwick union game about a month ago. But some don't see this as an issue for rugby league? Others do.

Give people a source other than just slightly reframing your argument and people might have something to work with in discussing these things.

AJB1102

First Grade
I didn't really mean missing games, the part about avoiding all activities that take place outside of his house was weird.

All activities? I mentioned movies, footy and shopping trips. Leisure activities I guess you'd call them (except shopping, f**k that for fun). Work, family and friends gets me out plenty. The few hours I'm at home not sleeping I'd prefer to enjoy there.

AJB1102

First Grade
Is the truth not a source? I understand how cynical people can be on this site. But this stuff is common knowledge. Others have admitted to the attendances of local Sydney union games. Yet we have people whom can't fathom the reality? I'm not making this stuff up! It's happening.

Your saying something doesn't make it fact. A simple link to reported crowd figures will be plenty.

And common knowledge? I've never heard of a Warringah Rat before today.

Brutus

Referee
Warringah Rats v Manly attracts 10000 at Rat park and fills the Manly ground every year recently. Well over 6000 reportedly attended a Randwick union game about a month ago. But some don't see this as an issue for rugby league? Others do.

Randwick crowds are shit at Coogee Oval.

Stallion

First Grade
Im guessing from the responses Stallion is once again whittling on about the powerhouse that is union in north sydney and why sydney needs more clubs? lol Nothing changes.

I take great glee in the misery that is australian rugby union :)

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/rugby-...by-s-crowd-crisis-castle-20190619-p51z9e.html

Remembering union is a crap code of football that if everything was above board and the code of rugby league had universal school access,it (RU) would have been totally replaced by the far more attractive rugby league. This has not happened due to a number of reasons (elite private school barring of RL being one) .So.we now are witnessing a dilution of the top flight rugby league clubs in its foundation city of Sydney and at the same time an increase in local rugby union interest and participation. Their are those whom don't want to acknowledge this however it's a real issue and turning a blind to it shows an apathy that is disturbing and concerning .

Last edited:

ReddFelon

Juniors
All activities? I mentioned movies, footy and shopping trips. Leisure activities I guess you'd call them (except shopping, f**k that for fun). Work, family and friends gets me out plenty. The few hours I'm at home not sleeping I'd prefer to enjoy there.
Fair enough, your original post just seemed a tad hermit-y. All is well.

AJB1102

First Grade
Fair enough, your original post just seemed a tad hermit-y. All is well.

I'm definitely closer to "angry troll under the bridge" than in my younger days but not that bad yet. You won't wanna be running on my lawn in 20yrs though lol

DIOGENES

Juniors
Where are the Shute Shield crowds reported?

Latest posts